PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here remember...

PeterPan
11-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Does anybody here remember when you could NOT make advance reservations at ANY of the Epcot restaurants...except in person at the restaurant OR...at these very futuristic Computer Screens at the exit to Spaceship Earth? There, you could actually speak to a Reservationist on a COMPUTER SCREEN! It was utterly fascinating. You had to line up first thing in the morning and stand in a (usually) very long line. So much fun. Gosh, those were the days!

MsMin
11-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Yes I remember those and I hated having to run to EPCOT on the morning of to get a ressie for that night. I'm one that is happy to make my ADR in advance.

SBETigg
11-20-2007, 06:39 AM
I remember those terminals, but I believe they also took reservations in advance. We had most of our meals booked for our honeymoon in 1990 before we left for the week. We changed some times around with the Epcot computers. Before that, I'm not sure how they operated.

VAdizneefan
11-20-2007, 07:16 AM
We remember those as well and were actually just talking about them when we were down there in May. I think we made our first Le Cellier reservation for our one year anniversary that way. Ten years later, things have changed but those were definitely futuristic!

Epc0tphr34k
11-20-2007, 08:36 AM
not only do i remember them i have a video that shows those screeens and someone operating them. it was to show off video phone technology
i remember i always had to be piggy back on my dad when he made reservations for england so i could see

a little off topic i also remember the robots that in communicore that would draw your picture. those were my favorite

Melanie
11-20-2007, 09:10 AM
I remember very well standing in those lines with my dad back in '83 and '84. I don't recall the lines being more than 5 or 6 people deep though. I remember eating at Mexico and Italy on those early trips.

JPL
11-20-2007, 09:25 AM
This goes back to when all reservations at Epcot had to made day of. They didn't take advanced dining reservations. This was Part of the World Key Information Center part of Communicore.

Goofy Pluto
11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Yes! I do remember that! I was thinking about that just recently. I remember my Mom standing at one of those terminals to make a dinner reservation. Ah, how things were so much simpler then...

Tinkerfreak
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
It sounds like a good thing because you could just get up and decide to go to Epcot and make your ressies the day of instead of having to plan out your entire trip 6 months in advance so you can get adr's. I do not have a problem with making adr's I just hate having to make them 6 months in advance. I wish they would go back to the 90 day rule.

Goofy Pluto
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
It sounds like a good thing because you could just get up and decide to go to Epcot and make your ressies the day of instead of having to plan out your entire trip 6 months in advance so you can get adr's. I do not have a problem with making adr's I just hate having to make them 6 months in advance. I wish they would go back to the 90 day rule.

I just started another post stating almost the exact same thing and seeing what other thought!

ThanxForNoticin
11-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Those reservation terminals seemed so high-tech at the time! But just like everything else, Disney has evolved. When EPCOT first opened, you could only get reservations that day. Then they started taking limited advanced resevations, but still took reservations through those terminals. Eventually, they became obsolete, and now we're doing ADRs 6 months in advance.

In some ways it was fun, but in some ways it was a pain to get up early to go make dinner reservations at EPCOT. If you were an early-riser and a fast runner, you could usually get exactly what you wanted! If you overslept or walked slowly, you might have to go with your second or third choice for dinner.

bleukarma
11-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes, I remember them and I thought they were the neatest thing! I remember making reservations for the Japan restaurant on it. I do believe you could also make ressies the day of from your hotel room, though. I could be wrong about that.

texasteacher
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Does anybody here remember when you could NOT make advance reservations at ANY of the Epcot restaurants...except in person at the restaurant OR...at these very futuristic Computer Screens at the exit to Spaceship Earth? There, you could actually speak to a Reservationist on a COMPUTER SCREEN! It was utterly fascinating. You had to line up first thing in the morning and stand in a (usually) very long line. So much fun. Gosh, those were the days!

Yes, I remember doing that once. It was fun, but I like being able to use the phone from home now!

MickeyChick
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I really would like to see something like this come back. We book our vacations fairly last minute and we have a hard time with the ADRs and the 180 day mark.

I think the first time I went as a teenager you could only make reservations a day in advance and we ate lunch at the Sci-Fi Drive in one day and King Stefan's Banquet Hall the next day which was Christmas.

brewcrew26
02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I remember those screens when I was like 12 or 13 in the early 90s right before they switched to innoventions. I thought they were so cool. There was just something personal about being able to see someone face-to-face to make a ressie. I don't mind making my adr's six months out, but it kinda takes out the anticipation since you know where you'll be eating right away.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I wish they would only reserve part of the dining room for reservations. It makes it hard for those that haven't been to Disney before and don't know about making ADRs. That way everyone could have a chance to enjoy Disney dining.....they might have to wait but they'd have a chance.

AdventurerKim
02-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I remember that! Those were the days...:)

garymacd
02-29-2008, 11:11 AM
We remember those as well and were actually just talking about them when we were down there in May. I think we made our first Le Cellier reservation for our one year anniversary that way. Ten years later, things have changed but those were definitely futuristic!

I think we must have done the same thing on the same day! We actually made reservations for le Cellier over one of those terminals. The next time we came back, they were gone!

So sad!:(

Simba's Mom
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes, I remember making our very first ever dining reservation at Coral Reef by talking to the girl on the computer screen. Then, if I remember correctly, they changed it so that Disney resort guests had the huge privilege of being able to make reservations at Epcot resturaunts up to 3 days in advance!