PDA

View Full Version : Do they give priority to the dining plan?

harlowandthemermaid
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I do not have the dining plan and have tried to get dinner reservations several different times and there is nothing available at any of the restaurants we are planning to go to, even restaurants I have been to in the past and not made reservations until that day. I know historically mid december is not that busy so I'm really thrown. Do they have to leave a certain number of tables available for dining plan people ,shutting out regular diners? I can see character meals being booked but I'm trying non character restaurants and am getting no availability until almost 9pm for every restaurant I've tried. What's going on?

SBETigg
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
They don't give priority to the dining plan, but the dining plan has vastly increased the number of tables being booked in advance. People who have the dining plan want to make sure they will have TS places to use it, so they are typically making ADRs when perhaps they would have taken more chances without them in the past. This is why you see many people advising to make the ADRs as close to the 180 day mark as you can. Sorry for the bad luck. Maybe if you keep trying, some things will open up.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I would agree. The types of people who use the dining plan also often tend to be the types who are planning well ahead of time.

Speedy1998
11-19-2007, 09:06 PM
WDW resort guest get a slight preference in that they can make ADR's for every day of their trip, 180 days from the first day of their trip. Other than that there is no special treatment for any guest. The way things are now if you do not plan well ahead of your trip you will find it difficult to get ADRs for the most popular TS.

SurferStitch
11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Even though park crowds aren't big in mid December (they weren't last December, so that's why we're going back the same time this year), the restaurants are still packed.

If you just recently tried to make your ADR's, then I'm not surprised you are having a difficult time. I tried adding a character breakfast for mid-December about a month ago, and the only time available was late morning, so I passed.

Unfortunately, it's just the way things are now. Keep trying, though...sometimes people are nice enough to cancel, and a spot may open up.

DizneyRox
11-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately, it's just the way things are now.
Sad but true...

Until they get rid of the DDP, this is going to be the way it is for a long time. When you prepay for food, you are more likely to want to get your money's worth. Even to go so far as to make multiple reservations just in case you want one food type over another.

Regarding food at WDW, the early bird gets the worm.

Mary Chase
11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
I seem to think that they may "hold" a certain number of tables for people paying out of pocket. Maybe it's just my paranoia, but when you call to make ADR's, why do they need to know if you're on the DDP or not? I called back 4-5 months ago for my trip next week and got some very bad times for dinners - but mostly at the most popular restaurants. I still couldn't believe that 4-5 months out I couldn't get what I wanted at most of the places I picked. Next trip is getting planned/booked by the 180 day mark and I'm making my ADR's ASAP!

Sorry about your luck. I think I may try to make some changes to mine when I'm down there to see if I can get better times.

harlowandthemermaid
11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes I was caught by suprise. I've been dining at WDW for years and years and most of my reservations I make when I get there(except character meals) It's been about a year and a half since I've been and I always get an AP so no dining plan for me.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't eat any fried food and eat mostly vegetarian so that cuts out a lot of the counter service food. I guess I'll just try again and hope for the best. Travelling with an infant the 9pm dinner times they were offering were not at all practical.:(

Kendall0303
11-22-2007, 11:19 AM
We leave on Tuesday for Disney and wondered the same thing! This will be our first "Holiday Trip" and chose to go between Thanksgiving weekend and when schools get out in hopes of low crowds. I made several of our reservations in advance and thought "Oh, I'll just wait on the rest." When we finally decided where to eat and called, with a list of substitutes in hand, I found that most everything we wanted was booked up...particularly at MGM the night of Saturday, December 1st. However, I kept calling and get the following just this week...My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea, Princess Storybook Dinner at Norway (I wanted the Breakfast and should have known better), and Donald's Safari Breakfast (I can't remember the real name) at Animal Kingdom. So there is hope! Keep trying!:mickey: