PDA

View Full Version : WDW's Haunted Mansion longer than DL's

Ryan Towle
11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.grimghosts.com/secrets/DLLayout.gif

That's the DL track layout^

http://www.grimghosts.com/secrets/WDWLayout.gif

WDW track layout^

If you look at the DL version, they barely have any opening scenes. It just jumps into the part where the endless hallway is.

JuicyMoose17
11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Thats pretty cool.

mttafire
11-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Interesting, Thanks for the info:thumbsup:
Shawn

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Wow, that looks so cool!

I can't wait for next month..I will be able to compare the Haunted Mansions and POTCs and IASWs in both DLR and WDW!

RedheadWriter
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Disney Loving Dutchman: Wow! What a great trip you have planned. Have a great time!
Rachel

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks! :blush: I do feel a bit embarrassed because it is an indulgance (SP?) but ever since I returned last year from DLR I missed WDW..so I thought "why not combine the two?" So I started saving a lot and now I'm going :mickey:

btw, maybe I'll take those floorplans with me, to keep track where I am :D

JPL
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
If you look at the DL version, they barely have any opening scenes. It just jumps into the part where the endless hallway is.

There is a longer walk to the doombuggies that is themed similar to WDW's first 2 scenes. The reason for this is at DIsneyland they need to get you under the berm and into the show building. That is why the Stretching Room actually works like an elevator at DLR. The walk to show building wasn't needed at WDW so the 2 scenes you walk by at Disneyland were modifed to be incorporated into the ride.

Polynesian Dweller
11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
As JPL notes there is a walk through section at the start of the DLR Haunted Mansion. Actually like that better than starting right on the ride and miss it at WDW.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Not knowing the scale of these things made it difficult for me to figure out which was supposed to be longer.... does anyone have any actual info on track length?

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Okay, much to my surprise the DL version IS much shorter.

WDW 960 ft long 7 1/2 minute ride
DL ?? ft long 5 1/2 minute ride

Hmmmm...........

DisneyorBust
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Great info! Thanks for posting it Ryan!

Cinderelley
11-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I enjoy the walk-through portion at DL also. I remember standing in line as a kid and moving every which way on the carpet to see if the eyes in the portraits would follow me everywhere. :blush::D

EPCOT84
11-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Wonderful post. As JPL mentioned, most of DL's was built outside the existing berm. The stretching room is a functional elevator. I remember noticing the difference at my first trip to MK, looking down when you go in the stretching room door - none of the earmarks of an elevator.

Obvious point but DL's HM was built first. As with many attractions, it was improved at the second park, MK.

As comparison, Space Mountain at MK was first but when it was introduced at DL, the entry area and the cars were an improvement over MK's.

I rode the revamped HM in September. It wasn't until I was in line that I learned it had just opened that morning ( ! ) after a months-long refurbishment. Nice surprise. Because the ride stopped for a long time right after we exited the stretching room, several 'rooms' were piling up in the hallway. I kept wondering when someone would stop loading the stretching room because we were crammed in for I'd say around 20 minutes or more while the CMs went into the ride area with flashlights. We got to study that cob-webby area but somehow it did not have the fun of DL's walkway. Something seemed missing to me. The rest of the ride however, did not disappoint. It did seem longer to me so that made it worth the wait (line going in + ride stop waiting time).

DisneyFreak23
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=EPCOT84;1478206]

I rode the revamped HM in September. It wasn't until I was in line that I learned it had just opened that morning ( ! ) after a months-long refurbishment. Nice surprise. Because the ride stopped for a long time right after we exited the stretching room, several 'rooms' were piling up in the hallway. I kept wondering when someone would stop loading the stretching room because we were crammed in for I'd say around 20 minutes or more while the CMs went into the ride area with flashlights. [QUOTE=EPCOT84;1478206]

We must have been there the same time:). The whole load area was PACKED!! you couldnt have fit another person in there if u tried! I remember thinking to myself "why is it so crowded? i mean, i know its the first day but the line is always moving so:confused:...." thats when i realized how many people they were trying to funnel into a single file line. The ride however was well worth it and i rode it every chance i got!:D

can someone fix the quote thing?

MegaDisney
11-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I also enjoy the walk through part of the DL version of the HM.

I don't necessarily agree that the WDW is an improvement, it always feels weird to board your doom buggy right after the stretching room.

Although I have heard that some of the DL effects have been added to the WDW version and that the endless stairway scene is really cool!

Jasper
11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
It really is a matter of opinion on all of the attractions as to which one is better. And let's not forget that some of the things that were done differently from park to park happened because of requirements of the space available. That means that even the imagineers may not have considered them to be improvements but rather as necessary changes.

Cinderelley
11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't necessarily agree that the WDW is an improvement, it always feels weird to board your doom buggy right after the stretching room.

I feel weird too when I board the doombuggy right away. Although, I imagine that those who went to WDW's HM first, feel weird at DL when they have to walk through the first section.

I like walking because I can take the time to really look at things.

DisneyDudet
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Although I have heard that some of the DL effects have been added to the WDW version and that the endless stairway scene is really cool!

Yes, they did add some of the elements from the DLR version. The paintings are toward the beginning of the ride. I've only been do DLR once, but I love the paintings as you are walking to the doombuggies. It let me look at them and take them in at my own pace.

SpecJoe Magic
11-22-2007, 07:26 AM
I imagine that those who went to WDW's HM first, feel weird at DL when they have to walk through the first section.

You are correct. I had been to WDW numerous times before I went to DL, and while I enjoyed walking through the first section, I prefer WDW's setup. The thing about DL's Haunted Mansion that felt weirdest was seeing the endless hallway as the first scene after boarding the doombuggy.