PDA

View Full Version : Found Unused Park Tickets from 1970's

SoaringEpcot
11-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I lost my grandfather this past September. Last week my dad was going through some of his(grandfathers) paper work and found 3 single day passes to Magic Kingdom. The value on the tickets is $7.25. I know that customer service will exchange old tickets, but does anyone think they will exchange tickets that are over 30 years old?

DizneyRox
11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Opps... Sorry...

Yeah, you should be able to get three current tickets that will be good ONLY for Magic Kingdom admission, guest relations is where you want to go...

ibrowse17
11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
What do you have to lose? The thing I would be worried about is ticket expiration. Tickets are only good for 14 days from their first use these days(without non-expiration option), so that may be a hoop to jump through. If they will not let you use them, see if they want to buy them for display somewhere. Good luck, and I hope you get to use them:thumbsup:

Here we go again...
11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
What do you have to lose? The thing I would be worried about is ticket expiration. Tickets are only good for 14 days from their first use these days(without non-expiration option), so that may be a hoop to jump through. If they will not let you use them, see if they want to buy them for display somewhere. Good luck, and I hope you get to use them:thumbsup:

The 14 day expiration only start when the Magic Your Way tickets came out.
With tickets that old the only thing you should have to worry about is the fact that they will only be good for Magic Kingdom.

Something that old I would probably have to keep and frame....

DisneyTwinsMommy
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
They will let you use them... but if you are not going to keep it and frame it... see what it's worth on ebay!! :mickey:

JennPooh
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
To me, they would be worth more to frame, etc. I have some tickets from the '70's that are partially used. These are the type where you needed a ticket for each ride. I am getting them together to frame.

I would love to see/have the ones you are talking about. Especially if nothing is used from them.

Very collectible.

Taja
11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
When I was going through my parents' stuff, I found Disneyland ticket books from the 50s, 60s and 70s! None were complete, and most were children's tickets.

A friend had them framed with a Tinkerbell trading pin and some other things for her DS and DD, as they can just barely remember going to Disneyland and using tickets for each ride. :)

Face value for the children's books were around $2.25 or $2.50.

missnanse
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I have mine from DL from the 70's and I would not part with them. Whether or not they are worth much does not matter. The nostalgia is worth everything. Never thought to frame them though. I will now.:mickey:

McGoofy
11-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather.

I love the idea of hanging on to something so collectible, especially since it has sentimental value of being from your grandfather.

However, just to answer your original question, you would have no trouble exchanging the tickets. A few years ago, somebody gave me 2 tickets--one child and one adult ticket--that were from the 80's. The tickets were good for MK and Epcot (since those were the only 2 parks that exsisted at the time.) I took the 2 tickets to guest relations. They had this huge notebook full of plastic pockets that contained probably every kind of ticket that they possibly ever made. The CM flipped through the notebook. (It was like looking at baseball trading cards.) He found my tickets. He took them and exchanged them for 1 day park hoppers. He even upgraded the child ticket to an adult ticket. He said that obviously whoever bought the ticket at that time wasn't a child anymore! Since the tickets back then did not have any expiration date, it was no trouble at all to exchange unused days for current park tickets.

WDWfanatic742
11-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I want that notebook :secret:

I wonder if you would be able to use the tickets but be able to keep them in their original form somehow. Those would be huge collector's items to some people.

crltkcagle
11-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow how cool is that to find something so special! I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

PeterPan
11-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Oh, please hang on to those tickets! How much more precious they will be 10, 15, 20 years from now to your family!

I recently found unused tickets from my 1966 visit to Disneyland. Walt was still alive (but only for a few more weeks). I will never, ever part with those tickets. Hopefully, even my children will not part with those tickets after I am gone.

Some things are worth so much more than money.

CaptSmee
11-20-2007, 12:25 AM
I had come across several World Passports from the early 80's that had unused days on them. In 2000 I went to WDW for the 1st time in almost 20 years and the castmember was flabbergasted that I still had these tickets had no idea how to process them and told me to enter the park and keep the ticket to save for another visit in 20 more years! It was incredible!

I also had a pair of unused children's passes that I sold for much more than the value left on them on ebay.

BelleandtheBeast
11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
What a great find, I would make a shadowbox and display those. Awesome bit of history.

#1donaldfan
11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

About the tickets, I would NEVER use them EVER. I would do like some of the previous post mentioned and frame them. They're certianaly a part of your families history and you just can't put a price on that, even if it does get you in Disney. Keep 'em, just like great memories, they last forever!!!

cal5755
11-20-2007, 11:41 PM
I have to agree with everyone... Keep them and frame them!! I bet the trip to Disney meant a lot to your Grandfather. I would frame them along with a picture or pictures of him.

I am sorry for your loss!