PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else here extremely dissapointed of POTC?

Ryan Towle
11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
They should've never changed it. When I first heard they were adding the characters in the movie etc, I wasn't that angry. I figured "well if they're just adding them in that's fine." But no, they actually had the nerve to take characters and scenes out and replace them with ones from the movie. Not only did this destroy the ride, but it ruined it's reputation. Now, all the future generations will probably think that the ride came out before the movie, and that the ride is based off of the movie. That's ludacris, I want my treasure room scene back. And I want to go through the dark caverns without looking at that ugly face of that squid guy on the waterfall. I seriously don't know if I can ever bring myself to ride it again.

big blue and hairy
11-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Nope, I like it....:D

:sulley:

mttafire
11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Nope, I like it....:D

:sulley:

Agreed. I like it MORE now.:thumbsup:

MMouse6937
11-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Sorry, I love it too. I think the upgrades are wonderful. :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
11-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Sorry, I am as nostalgic as they come (I CRIED when they got replaced Mr Toad) and I am a traditionalist when it comes to Disney rides, but I think they enhanced this ride with adding Jack Sparrow. I like it better now.
Rachel

tinklover
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I have to agree I loved the ride before the additions:pirate: :chest: :skull: and now I love the ride even more. :thumbsup: Disney on making the ride better.

mickey&missy
11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I have to say, I agree with the others. They only made it better. I'll be the first to say don't mess with a good thing. But, IMHO, they really did a spectacular job and only made it better.

I can see your point about taking things out to make room characters from the movie and kids thinking that the movie came first. But, they also made it something the kids can relate to. I think that kids going on POTC are expecting to see Jack Sparrow and Barbosa. To them that's POTC. They might not understand a POTC ride without the characters in the movie.

I loved POTC 20 years ago when I went on my first trip to WDW, I loved it in 05 seeing it again for the first time in 18 years and I loved it even more in 07 after the refurb. No matter what, to me, its a very cool ride!

Crystal Palace
11-19-2007, 11:16 AM
I was disappointed in it, period. Disneyland's is way better. It's longer, has more drops, a restaurant inside, and better scenes. But to be fair, it's the only ride that is better in Disneyland. I love WDW's rides and parks way more! And that's saying something, as I have grown up with Disneyland.:dumbo:

DizNee143
11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
the changes dont really bother me...i have yet to see any of the Pirates movies..and probably never will see any of them..they just dont interest me...plus i cant stand johnny depp..yuck!
but even without seeing the movies..it still seems like just a ride...barely notice the few things they did..except for the end sence..i REALLY dont like the new end seen..i liked the old one better!!

Goofy Pluto
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I have to guess based on this post that you haven't seen the movies or are not a fan, but that's besides the point...

I haven't seen the redo yet but will next week. I'll let you know my opinion when I get back!

btharvey
11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Disneyland's is much better, but it's still good. People will think what people will think. At any one time, some people love it, some hate it, some compare it to Universal, and some couldn't care less. Those who hang on too much to the way it used to be are bound to be disappointed. I miss Horizons and Mr. Toad. Mission Space is great for me, but my family throws up! ;) Stitch is OK, but no more than once more for me. I've been sneezed on heavily twice now! :ack:

Celebrate what is still good, what is new and good, and make recommendations for improvements. "Coke Classic" is a rarity in today's culture ... very few companies are willing to revert once they've changed something, and few change without lots of research.

Hit the Polynesian Luau and have a nice evening!

disneymom15
11-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree, I like POTC. As for Johnny Depp, LOVE HIM as Jack Sparrow.

2Epcot
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I've only seen the changes at Disneyland, and not WDW, but I thought they were well done. I was worried it would change the attraction too much. I love the original Pirates, but I thought the changes were just enough, and not overdone ... added a little bit of new, keeping most of the old Pirates we grew up riding.

Von-Drake
11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
I do like the POTC in Disneyland a lot because of the restaurant portion and all that, but I have no problems with the enhancements to the POTC since the movies. I do think it adds something to it for the younger generation. Like others, I definitely miss Mr. Toad, but my wife was happy she got to ride it when we went to DL a few year's ago after hearing me talk about it so much. Horizon's was my favorite ride in ECPOT when I was growing up and I still miss it, but I guess things change, EPCOT was never meant to stay the exact same.

DisneyTwinsMommy
11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
I like it too... changes are usually not good, this one is!! :thumbsup:

DNS
11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I like it even better now and I didn't think that could happen.

SurferStitch
11-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I liked the original better, but I still like the new version....at least they didn't totally destroy the original intent of the ride, but I feel it would have been better left alone.

I have seen all of the POTC movies, and really liked them, but I can't stand Johnny Depp. His acting is great, but as a person, I think he's a real jerk. I was disappointed to hear he was being added to the ride.

But, I love the Davy Jones movie on the waterfall...best addition to the ride. Very cool.

Marker
11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
It's different, sure. I liked the ride before, and I still do. For me anyway, it's certainly not something to get angry over.

Actually, I rather like the addition of the "ugly face of that squid guy ". I also like the addition of Captain Barbosa on the ship that's firing on the fort. I perhaps think they may have add too much Capt Jack Sparrow, but I really don't mind his addition.

And just for my opinion, as far as which came first, the ride or the movie, it doesn't really matter to me. I think kids would wonder where Captain Jack Sparrow was if they hadn't added him.

Taja
11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I haven't seen any of the POTC movies, but find the changes acceptable. I don't think they enhanced the ride for me, but as another poster mentioned, have made it more relevant for the younger generation.

I, too, prefer the Disneyland POTC to WDW, but that's probably because I grew up at and with Disneyland.

Oh, and IASW i much better at Disneyland, but the one at MK certainly improved when it was rehabbed. :thumbsup:

billandlaura
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I too was rather dissappointed. I much prefer the old version. I haven't seen any of the movies and I don't intend to. The little I've seen of previews and trailers was more than enough. I hate the addition of the squid guy and Johnny Depp's character's appearance throughout the ride totally detracts from it. (for me)

JPL
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not a fan of the additions at all. To me it looks like they are just stuck in with some changes to dialog to fit them in. I am also not happy that they took away the grand finale to add one Figure of Jack Sparrow sitting in a chair singing. They could have enhanved the ride without adding characters to from the movie and it would have been much better. The mist effect with Davy Jones would have been just as cool with the talking skull and crossbones. IMHO it ruins the integrity of the ride to add the new characters into it.

Cookie123
11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
The last time I was there mid January 2007,
I was disappointed in the final scene. The jewelry trunk / treasure chest was not there anymore. I used to truly enjoy all the jewelry and pearls spilling out of the treasure chest.
Is it still gone ?

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I really love the changes! Barbossa is a bit dissappointing but Sparrow and Davy Jones are absolutely awesome!! And the look on the faces of kids that see Sparrow is so cool

Having said that, I also loved the POTC-movie-less ride. But I am fortunate enough to be able to visit DLRP often where the movies haven't (yet) been incorporated in the ride

Meghan
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I love the changes. The Davy Jones affect is very well done, and the 3 Jack AA are very life like. They added a few characters from some of their most popular movies (whats wrong with that? At least they're not characters from one of the movies that bombed!) without changing the overall charm and feel of the ride.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I didn't like Barbossa or the final Jack in the chair -- but then I've only seen the refurbed DL version..... but I do like the Davy Jones effect and the other two jack's -- however, i was unhappy that they changed the scene at the well. Why on earth wouldn't that woman want her husband to give Jack's location? She seems too well-to-do to care for a guy with bad hygeine....

JPL
11-19-2007, 08:04 PM
the 3 Jack AA are very life like.

To me this part of the very root of the problem with the changes the new lifelike characters don't fit with the style of the original caricatures that were created for the attraction.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 08:06 PM
To me this part of the very root of the problem with the changes the new lifelike characters don't fit with the style of the original caricatures that were created for the attraction.

Now THAT is true, it does make the others look bad! But I just ignore it ;)

Marker
11-19-2007, 10:01 PM

I'm still ok with the changes, but I definitely see your point. The realistic Jack Sparrow does kind of stand out among the other "cartoony" characters.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I loved the original POTC and I love the new version too. :thumbsup:

crltkcagle
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I understand what your are expressing but I love the new ride! and I love jack sparrow!:thumbsup:

CaptSmee
11-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Sorry, I too like it:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Change has to occur because things change. In this case, I think Disney really had little choice once they produced the movies. Kids would be going in to the ride and expect it to reflect the movies and would be disappointed and a bit confused if it didn't. So, you add Jack Sparrow and others.

I don't mind the changes and actually like to see them on all rides. It gives us something new to experience and that is always good though some of the changes don't work. That gives us something to talk about.:mickey:

Goofy Pluto
11-20-2007, 11:00 AM
To those who have said they have not seen the POTC movies, you're really missing out. Especially the first one, which is REALLY good. The other two are good too, but not as good as the first. If you are at all a fan of the attraction, you'd be doing yourself a favor to check them out. And if you are a fan, why wouldn't you? They didn't make more than a billion dollars because they were bad!

As far as the AA figures, I can see the point there. Like I said, when I see them next week, I'll give my opinion when I get back.

Reading this thread made me think of something, though... aren't we all glad the Haunted Mansion movie bombed? Could you imagine how they would have squeezed Eddie Murphy AA figures into there? Staring down at you screaming in the Stretch Room? Standing in the Ball Room amazed or talking to Madame Leota? His knees shaking in the graveyard? Now THAT'S frightening! :eek:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
the changes dont really bother me...i have yet to see any of the Pirates movies..and probably never will see any of them..they just dont interest me...plus i cant stand johnny depp..yuck!
:faint:
I'm all about tradition, but I love the changes! Wish the parrot was still out front, though.:pirate:

Stickey
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Both versions of POTC are excellent. I give the new version the edge.
:pirate:

EPCOT84
11-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I am a PotC fan from DL days. I have not seen the DL upgrade except for various videos on the 'net but here are my opinions:

(Pre-Movie additions comparison)
I felt MK's entry area lacked some of the charm of DL's. It was just long winding and dark. It was all stucco and ironworks but no story or real strong themeing. DL's is tied with the New Orleans theme and it does a nice job of transitioning you from New Orleans to Lafitte's Landing. Riding around the Blue Bayou, the restaurant's diners, and the swamp and fireflies brings you into the mood, calming you down for awhile with the banjo music. Then they hit you with the omninous warnings and those drops. As commented in your thread on the two HMs, there are logistical reasons for some of the differences. The drops at DL are needed to bring the riders below since much of the ride is built deeper into th ground. That was not needed at the more spacious MK location.

As for the ride itself, much is the same but I remember hating the MK's ending. The treasure room makes for a different feeling before the boats go up the ramp. At DL, those pirates are ready to shoot you right before you escape up the flume. As a kid it added a good kicker and concluding punch before the boat is pulled up and you breath relief at the end of the ride.

(post-movie additions comments on MK's)
I've seen various videos on the 'net and thought the Captain Jack additions were great and was really looking forward to seeing them in the ride.

In person, they were okay but somehow not as realistic as it looked on video.

I was distracted by one Sparrow where he is hiding between some barrels or mannequins and leaning out to look left and right. Somehow his head looked plunked on a way too large body .

It was hard to judge the Captain Barbosa on the videos but in person he blended right in on the ship, though I miss the fellow that was there before. That guy before was the icon of the ride ! Captain Barbosa on the ship is bland and washed out compared to the onscreen character.

The MK treasure room ending now seems even 'quieter' with Captain Jack simply rambling on. It was another thing that distracted me and disappointed me, but it was fun to try to figure out what Sparrow was saying.

As for the 'squid guy', it is a nice addition to the beginning of the ride. I liked it but I do agree with JPL that the skull and crossbones would have been more effective.

Since PotC went through a few years of changes (remember the politically correct chasing food instead of wenches phase?) and I've seen changes in the jail dog, the cats, etc., adding the movie characters did not do a major injustice but it did change the story of the ride slightly. It is like a TV show with a minor story line ( the 'finding Jack Sparrow' story) and the main story line (the pilllaging and plundering ) but they made the main line the secondary line.

However, in the end, the changes for me were okay. If I rode the ride a few more times, I would probably become accustomed to it and realize that for today's children, it is just fine !

WriteDisney
11-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Reading this thread made me think of something, though... aren't we all glad the Haunted Mansion movie bombed? Could you imagine how they would have squeezed Eddie Murphy AA figures into there? Staring down at you screaming in the Stretch Room? Standing in the Ball Room amazed or talking to Madame Leota? His knees shaking in the graveyard? Now THAT'S frightening! :eek:

lol

I like POTC. I was a huge fan of the ride before it became a movie, but I think this gave it more of a storyline.

Mackflava99
11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I actually like the changes , and although I also like tradition ( mr toad, 20,000 leagues, etc..) they enhanced it without taking away the ambiance. Its great. And Jack Sparrow is terrific. Its opened up Pirates to a whole new generation of kids.

#1donaldfan
11-25-2007, 09:36 AM
POTC is my favorite kid memory of Disney, and now the movies are out, and they've integrated the movie characters into the ride, I love it even more !!! Sorry, I can't agree with you. :mickey:

cgriff
11-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Visually I think the revised PotC is a hit. The only thing that disappoints me is the new ride soundtrack... It's too quiet now, with less 'nat' sound and less singing (perhaps an attempt to allow better hearing of the dialogue?). I want to hear more "yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirate's life for me", not less of it...

cgriff

cgriff
11-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Regarding DL vs MK Pirates comparisons... While I agree that the DL queue and boarding area are exquisitely themed, the MK queue is also well-themed. The two are completely different environments... DL's PotC is set in a Louisiana swamp, while MK's PotC is set in a Spanish seaside fortress. One wonderful design touch in MK's queue (that DL does not have) is the dungeon scene: viewable from only one of the two queue lines, with the two imprisoned pirate skeletons in a "dead"-locked game of chess... eerily lit and always kind of spooky...

cgriff

LudwigVonDrake
11-25-2007, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't have had a problem if they just added the first Jack Sparrow but I agree with the O.P.,they shouldn't have replaced original dialogue and characters. I do like the Davey Jones appearance at the beginning. But that's about it...

pink
11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I understand why your upset that future generations are going to think that the ride came to be because of the movies but we knows the truth:thumbsup:
Otherwise I like the ride. I was amazed at how real the Johnny Depp looked and the squid waterfall part was fun. :mickey:

bfbulldog
11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I find the changes made to the ride to be very un-obtrusive they have simply enhanced the overall effects of the ride, enhancing the storyline a bit and upgrading the effects. I think the overall impact of the movies on the ride is very minimal and that is very clear if you've seen any of the movies.

I think the changes only worked to enhance the ride and does not take anything from it in my humble opinion.

mousetrapper
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I really like the changes too, but we all love the POTC movies. I can see your point about anyone riding the ride for the first time thinking that the ride is based on the movie, but I'm sure people hear the real story and understand.

I am just so impressed by how they integrated Capt. Jack Sparrow into the ride...he is so realistic and looks so much like the real character! I also like the spooky Davy Jones image -- we put our hands through it as we ride under and it's just the coolest effect -- like putting your hand through a ghost! Barbosa is good too.

And hello...!!?? How great is the live actor who plays Capt. Jack outside the ride?? He ran by me at the end of the performance when I was there last week and I almost grabbed him...!:blush:

IMHO, Disney took a great ride and made it new and different -- not that the old one was any less enjoyable, but it's nice to have something new to enjoy (just like with the new Haunted Mansion additions). Keeps things exciting!

PeterPan
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
I am one of the die-hard Disney fanatics - I have ridden this ride all over the world (actually, Disneyland Paris blows them ALL away! Even Disneyland's). I LOVE the additions. Disney MUST keep enhancing their rides, or they become stale, old, obsolete. Yes, this ride has held up better than any other (except maybe Haunted Mansion) but the new characters, new effects are part of a plan to keep the attraction forever fresh, forever new, forever exciting to generation after generation.

Let's face it folks, if they don't refurbish and enhance, people will quit riding. People quit riding, they remove the ride. Period.

LoriMistress
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I haven't seen the new version with the POTC movie cast. I've seen some video online so I know what to expect, but I'm going to have to experience it myself when I'm there in 11 more days. :cloud9:

wire0monkey
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Nope. I love the new version of the ride. The newer animatronics are quite wonderful. I also love the Pirate Tutorial outside the ride.

Kids don't care if the ride is about the movie or the movie is about the ride. They just want to see Captain Jack.

WDWFREAK101
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
I am not extremely dissapointed but i don't like the final scene with Jack singing in the treasure room. They should have kept it the way it was.