PDA

View Full Version : I think it's funny...

Ryan Towle
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
...how DL's POTC is longer and better than WDW's POTC. But WDW's Haunted Mansion is longer and better than DL's Haunted Mansion.

MMouse6937
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I can only agree on one point the POTC, you are right the one at DL is better. I haven't gotten to see HM at DL as it was closed for refurb last time we were there, but I do like the upgrades to the WDW version and really thought it was great. :thumbsup:

Crystal Palace
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
...how DL's POTC is longer and better than WDW's POTC. But WDW's Haunted Mansion is longer and better than DL's Haunted Mansion.

I was saying the same exact thing to my mom when we were there.:mickey:

BriarRose
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I think that both POTC and HM are better at DL that at WDW. I think that if you are used to one and then see the other, you might prefer the first HM you've experienced. I think for me the fact that you walk through the front door at DL is better and also I feel there is better theming getting on to the doombuggies. At WDW there just seems to be a lull while waiting to get on the doombuggies. Another thing I like better is when you are looking at the changing portraits, you can take your time at DL.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE both, but I think I prefer DL's

Marker
11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Strikes me that they had two choices.... make the DL and WDW versions exactly the same, or individualize them and make them somewhat different.

I rather like the choice taken of making them each somewhat unique in some aspects. Not largely different, but different nonetheless. However, making them each somewhat different naturally results in people preferring one over the other. That doesn't necessarily mean that either one is definitively better.

To that end, in regard to both HM and POTC, I don't think I really prefer one version over the other. They each have their own individual charm.

I guess a third choice would have been to make them each vastly different, but then they wouldn't really be the same attraction. One version would be the Haunted Mansion, the other would be something else entirely.

JPL
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
POTC at DL is much better and it has nothing to do with the length. It has to do with the fact that it was built with care and love. The WDW version was thrown in due to guest demand and corners were cut in it's construction. The WDW in reality is closer to the original design intended for Disneyland but they had extra space and had to move you under the berm out to the shop building so the Captain's Quaters and treasure Rooms were added at the begining of the ride. They occupy the space that was originally designed to be the walk through Pirate Musseum. At WDW they were also faced with the problem of the Water Table and this is why we only have one drop instead of 2. At DLR the first drop takes you under the berm of the park out to the show building this was not needed in the WDW version. The stretching rooms are similar but yet very different at Disneyland the room actually goes down to get you under the berm so you can walk into the show building and at WDW the the walls go up and you don't have th same distance to travel to the show building therefore the walking area was cut out and added as part of the ride.

As for the Mansion I think they are both pretty equal in size and scope while we have the extra scene the Library in the ride, at Disneyland you walk through the portrait gallery and experience similar effects before getting on the ride. Both mansions were built and designed at the same time when they were constucting the figures for Disneyland they made a 2nd set for WDW.

mttafire
11-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Overall i DO like The Magic Kingdom better than Disneyland (barely) However, D.L. POTC is without a doubt better than WDW. for some reason just the beginning in the Bayou makes a big difference to me at D.L.:thumbsup:

lindique
11-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I think the best Haunted Mansion is the one at Disneyland Paris. It is far more elaborate (especially the graveyard scenes) than either one of our rides.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
POTC at DL is world's better and always will be -- I love the extended cave network with the pirate bar and the superior treasure caves -- but best of all is that you can eat at the Blue Bayou :)

Unless they have lengthened the HM in WDW I can't imagine that it is a longer ride, they seem virtually identical pre-renovation. I've seen the refurbed DL version and next week I'll try the new WDW world one so maybe I'll feel differently then!

azdisneymom
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Our family thought DL POTC was better, too. We also like the DL version of Splash Mountain more that WDW.

Marker
11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a prevailing opinion voiced so far is that the rides at Disneyland are better than those at Walt Disney World. At least, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and It's A Small World.

Sounds like the preferred destination for a lot of folks should probably be Disneyland.

I'm just glad there are choices, and that they aren't identical. And I think my preferred destination will remain Walt Disney World. Although I will occasionally enjoy a trip to Disneyland as well.

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Nah, Marker, some of the rides are superior, but WDW is a better destination for the all-inclusive package. There is very little, as far as dining goes, to choose from, and anything more than 3 days at DL is kinda hard to deal with for me personally, but at WDW I have trouble fitting it all into 8 days!

JPL
11-19-2007, 08:07 PM
We also like the DL version of Splash Mountain more that WDW.

I hate the seating configuration at DL on Splash. Nothing like sitting in a strangers lap :rolleyes: As for DL being better I think if they had same seating configuration they would be dead even but I have to give the edge to WDW.

Polynesian Dweller
11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I hate the seating configuration at DL on Splash. Nothing like sitting in a strangers lap :rolleyes: As for DL being better I think if they had same seating configuration they would be dead even but I have to give the edge to WDW.
Absolutely. The single file DL also allows the log to go too deep into the water and water can spill over the sides and you sit in a puddle. WDW for sure.

Back on topic. Agree with POTC at DL being better including the ending. But I'd take HM at DL over WDW. Much prefer the walk to the doom buggies there. The theming of the walk becomse part of the ride while at WDW the theming feels interrupted by the non-descriptive walk.

ThanxForNoticin
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a prevailing opinion voiced so far is that the rides at Disneyland are better than those at Walt Disney World. At least, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and It's A Small World.

Sounds like the preferred destination for a lot of folks should probably be Disneyland.

I think you are making a very big jump here. Preferring a few DL attractions over those at WDW is not the same as DL being a preferred destination over WDW. Due to the size, scope, and options at WDW, I think WDW would be the choice of most.

I do think it's great that they don't make exact copies of the attractions at the various locations - each should be unique when possible.