PDA

View Full Version : Question- Broken Arm and Cast

ntelgoof
11-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi,

Have had Nov. 22nd - Dec 2nd trip planned for 9 months now. My 6 year old daughter broke her arm a week ago. She has a cast from her hand to above the elbow. The Dr. says she can still make trip and she still wants to go. I have my concerns though.

Questions- Are there any rides Disney will not let someone ride who has an arm cast and will the characters sign it? That would make her day.

Thanks,

David

SBETigg
11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
The characters will sign it. Bring a fat Sharpie in her favorite color (except for green- green is hard to get out of the costumes for some reason) and they will sign. I can't think of any ride that she won't be able to get on. Even on water rides if you cover her cast to protect it, she should be fine. Have a great trip!

jrkcr
11-18-2007, 11:19 PM
My DD(now 15) broke her arm also when she was 4(fell off the couch), and she got soooo much attention from the characters!! Lots of autographs on the cast...and we rode everything that we wanted to. I would just bring a bread bag to cover it up on the water rides, cause wet casts stink! :ack: She also broke her arm when she was 10 (trampoline)and we bought one of those specially made cast bags from the Dr's pharmacy, cause it was summer and we knew she would be in the water more...but it was really hard to get on and off. Good Luck!

LibertyTreeGal
11-19-2007, 06:58 AM
If you go on any bumpy rides (like Dinosaur), try to make sure that her cast isn't on the side where she is going to be constantly jarring it against the side of the ride car. That can get really uncomfortable.

And don't let the docs throw the cast away, what an awesome keepsake!

tinklover
11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I broke my arm when I was in the 4th grade and that summer went to Disney, I still have the cast to this day with all the signatures on it and I am now getting ready to turn 34. All of the characters made a big deal about my arm as well. My DBF has asked several times why I still have it this many years later and I said because it is signed by Disney characters. He would roll his eyes. Then he went on his first Disney trip this year and now he doesn"t pick on me about the cast anymore. Best of luck on her healing and I hope she has a great time in the happiest place on earth.:mickey:

azdisneymom
11-19-2007, 03:38 PM
ntelgoof - We went when my son was in 7th grade (college now) and paid a bit extra to get a waterproof cast - insurance didn't cover waterproof at that time. He did almost every ride and we didn't have to worry about keeping it dry. He did complain a bit about aching. The rides he complained most about were things like Dinosaur where he felt like he had to hold on tight to the bar while getting jostled about. Ibuprophen (sp?) helped the discomfort as did slowing down. I hope you and your family have an enjoyable trip.

pugslave
11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
You definitely should bring ibuprofen or Tylenol with you. It's very expensive at the parks. You might want to ask her doctor if she can use a sling. Her arm might get tired/sore with all the walking, and a sling might make her more confortable.

TinkerbellFan16
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
this weekend some of my family went and my cousin had broken his wrist and he had a sling and he was fine. he went on every ride that he wanted, but he doesnt like water rides so i dont kno about that. i hope u have a great itme!!!!!:mickey:

wire0monkey
11-20-2007, 12:53 PM
30 years ago, I broke my arm two weeks before a trip to the Magic Kingdom. I wore a heavy cotton fabric sling and had the characters sign the sling. Then my grandma embroidered over the signatures when I got home and use the sling for a pillow cover. I lost it in a house fire, but it was a cool thing while it lasted.

She'll be fine. Other than ibuprofen or tylenol, I would take a reusable gel cold pack with me. You can stick it in the ice bucket in the room. Sometimes a lot of running around makes the arm swell in the case and the cool pack will take the swelling down. You could also just take some ziplocs and put ice in them. If you double bag them, they don't leak. I'm use CMs in the park will be willing to help you with this if they have access to ice.