PDA

View Full Version : My turn for prayers & pixie dust..

rcaide
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Some of you may have read that I have a degenerative eye disease (degenerative myopia) I am blind in my left eye and in July I had a bleed in the right one. I have been going through experimental treatments of injections of a chemo drug for colon cancer shot directly into my eye. I have been doing great and when I had my check up Friday the doctor was very pleased and said I didn't have to come back until Feb. I was so excited because we leave in 18 days for WDW. Yesterday, I woke up and could barely see. It is like I am looking through a snow globe full of black snow. Plus I now have a bunch of floaters blocking the vision in that eye. I called the retinologist and he said I need to come in 1st thing tomorrow morning. I have been trying to resign myself to the thought that I am going blind but it is so hard. I wanted this Dec. trip to be perfect. Now I am worried that my vision will be very impaired. Anyway, send me some prayer. I want at least one more sighted trip to the world. :)

DisneyDudet
11-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm so sorry you having this set back right before your trip. Hopefully the retinologist can reverse this for good, or at least so you can go on your special trip.

I cannot imagine what you are going through, but I offer prayers and :pixie: for you.

disneydeb
11-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Prayers and pixie dust headed your way. I am diabetic and in line for macular degeneration (it is hereditary). Since either of those can rob me of my sight, I am looking at that prognosis myself. I hope you can find a great treatment option for your situation. They are making great strides in opthamolgy. Good Luck.

RedheadWriter
11-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I can't imagine how hard this is to go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am sending loads of :pixie: to you.
Rachel

ElenitaB
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Debbie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that they can reverse the situation permanently.

Here's a whole bunch of :pixie: for you and a lot of caring :hug: as well.

P.S. Out of curiosity, are they using Avastin to treat you?

SBETigg
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
:pixie: for you! I'm sorry you're having some trouble and I hope it works out for you.

mickey&missy
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Lots of prayers, positive thoughts and :pixie: pixie dust. I hope everything is ok and works out for you! :hug:

IloveDisney71
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
I just wanted to send some pixie dust your way and let you know that I said a prayer for you.

rcaide
11-19-2007, 01:32 AM
P.S. Out of curiosity, are they using Avastin to treat you?

Yes Ellen I am receiving Avastin. It does an excellent job. When I lost the vision in the other eye there was no treatment. It took 3 weeks to lose all central vision. In July, I started seeing humps in my vision (this signifies a bleed) so we started Avastin and within days I saw a vast improvement. (In case you were wondering, I am 46) I am not sure what is happening right now but I am guessing it might be a vitreous tear. I have had those before and they take longer and longer to heal and I always lose vision after I have one. I will find out tomorrow what is going on. Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I am too worried to sleep and I am having a hard time reading the computer. I have to blow the text up big. I pretty much spent the day watching old Christmas movies so I am going to put on another one. :grinch:

Tink&Goofy
11-19-2007, 01:42 AM
Lots of prayers and pixie dust coming your way! I will pray for good news tomorrow at the doctor - and a memorable WDW trip in December!

merlinmagic4
11-19-2007, 07:20 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: I'm sending extra because you deserve it, especially after you got your DH to agree to a longer trip (if I remember correctly!). I sure hope you get good news today. Can you let us know how it goes? I'll be thinking of you!

IloveJack
11-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Your post hits close to home. I don't have the same thing, but I do have diabetic retinopathy with about 16 pinholes of blurriness in my left eye. It was diagnosed, and treated 13 months ago. Since then, I've been absolutely paranoid about my vision. Thursday, I had an occular miagraine (never had one before) and freaked out. I'm so worried that I, also, am going to lose my vision. Right now, my right eye works extra hard to make up for the vision loss, but I stay worried about it.
Here's some :pixie: and prayers that this will be a controllable issue, and you won't have any vision loss from this instance. And that your December trip to the World will be as bright and clear as possible!

MsMin
11-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I have a dear friend w/
macular degeneration and I've had a client who was a single parent w/ young children and blind resulting from Marfan's so I've worked very closely with the struggles.
Sending you loads of :pixie: hoping this is only a minor setback and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

rcaide
11-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the prayers and pixie dust. I went to the retinologist this morning. The bad news is that I had 3 retinal tears in my eye. The good news is that we caught it in time to prevent a retinal detachment. I had laser surgery this morning and I have been written out of work for the rest of the week. He said he will check my eye 2 more times before our trip on Dec. 7th but he thinks I will be OK to go as long as I don't do any rides that throw me around.

mrsgaribaldi
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I felt so bad when I read your first post Debbie. I have a huge fear of going blind. How awful to read that it is happening to you. I'm sending you tons of :pixie::pixie::pixie: and I will keep you in my prayers. I hope that this time you heal without any real vision loss. Have a wonderful trip:mickey:

SodaPopMGK
11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Sending prayers and :pixie::pixie: for a speedy recovery. I hope you have a wonderful trip!