PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training the third one

murphy1
11-16-2007, 09:29 AM
This kid is driving me nuts. Some of you know she is my third girl, she charms the pants off everyone, but is driving me nutso! She is stubborn to boot. The other day I told her to go sit on the potty when she had to go (poop, she pees on it sometimes), but she said "no!!" and then when I told her she needed to at least try, she said she would go on the carpet. My first one was like this too, my second one was potty trained at 20 months. At least it is the last one I have to go through this with and it WILL happen....someday:)

RenDuran
11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I can empathize. My little boy is 3, has stayed dry at night for close to 6 months now, but refuses to use the potty! He was so excited at first about his potty, but that enthusiasm went down the toilet quickly! I swore that all summer I was going to use the "pants-less" training method, but never did, so here he is still in diapers! I feel for ya!

MsMin
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I've always felt potty training can be the toughest part of child rearing. My youngest was 22 months and she asked for big girl panties and that was it. The other two were 3 before they were trained. I thought it was b/c her older sister encouraged it. What kind of reward system (motivators) do you have set up?
So much depends on their personality, come to think of it Rachel was happy to get Disney panties and today she would still bend over backwards for clothes.
I was a very stubborn child (not that much has changed ;)) Sending :pixie: for your patience and her interest in training.... Good luck, I feel for you!

BrerGnat
11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry it's so rough with your little one.

My first son is now almost 3 1/2 and we celebrated yesterday "100 potty points". He gets 1 point every time he goes in the toilet. He's been day trained for a little over two weeks, but it has been SUCH a long road. He's autistic, so that is part of it, and I definitely feel for you! I've been trying to get him trained for a year and a half and it's like it just clicked with him about 2 weeks ago. He had a fundamental fear of "going" in the toilet, and we're still working on that with going #2, and I know we still have a LONG road ahead of us, but his progress has been huge.

We have another boy who is now 20 months and we're sort of trying to get him interested in the potty now too so maybe he'll "get it" earlier. He is stubborn as all heck, so I know it's not going to be easy with him either.

I HATE diapers...I wish kids were born potty trained. :D

Here is some pixie dust for you and your DD :pixie:...she'll get there when she's ready. How old is she now? Maybe she's not ready yet. :confused:

I know with us, we tried every incentive known to man, and what ended up working for our little guy is a simple "points" incentive. He LOVES numbers and counting, and it's amazing how excited he got when he realized we were counting how many times he used the toilet and keeping track on a whiteboard. He loved seeing the number go up and knew that at 100 he'd get a present, so he was all into using the toilet JUST to get the number to change. You just have to find what motivates yours but I know that can be hard sometimes too. I almost hit myself over the head with a "duh" moment when I realized that this points system would have probably worked a year ago. ;)

Mickey'sGirl
11-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Every kid is different -- but they all eventually succeed, so be patient! I'm not going to embarrass myself with stories of my childhood (I was the youngest of 4 and a "late bloomer") DS9 was less than 2 and trained in a week -- DS3 was about 2 1/2 and it took a good 6 months to get there....He was soooooo stubburn :mad: and it wasn't going #1 that was the problem.... it was the messy #2...Why is that I wonder? My sister's road to success was in having her DD(who was almost 3) help to clean up her accidents (she would need to get the paper towels and that kind of thing) ... It seemed to hurry her along a bit.

CosmicRay
11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
I get nervous, I have 2 kids 5 and 6 and we are 3 months pregnant. My daughter at 2 was potty trained. I stay at home so I did the no panties method and she caught on really quick. It took maybe a month or so and she was pull up free. Son was even easier which I thought would be the other way around. You hear how boys are so difficult. But one day when he was 2 I said "Son we are going to work on going to the potty". I put underwear on him and he even to this day has had zero accidents. He did amazing! So now with this third one, I think I've had it way too easy, this next one's going to be the challenge. We also used the sticker chart sheet. I dont know if you do that or tried it. But I hope things get better.

kakn7294
11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
What a stinker - she'll go on the carpet! I don't have any advice other than keep pushing her to use the potty and be patient. Best of luck!

LibertyTreeGal
11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I think we parents are too hard on each other about this potty training thing (a lot of things, actually), like it;s some sort of competition. Some of it comes down to simple spinal cord maturity, and when she sees a reason to train, she'll probably do it in a jiffy.

This isn't the same situation at all, but my Andy has spina bifida and refused to change his own diapers (no continence whatsoever) until he was a month away from kindergarten. I stressed and fretted and was so hard on myself and him, I did stickers, rewards, whatever -- there wasn't anything I didn't try. Then he made a friend. And one day he and Matt were invited over to play. I said, "Andy honey, I'm sorry, but until you can change your diapers yourself, you can't go anywhere without mommy and daddy." He got this determined look, went into the bathroom, changed himself and to this day he stil does! Now that's strong willed for you!

Don't worry, it will click someday ;)

thrillme
11-16-2007, 07:10 PM
All kids can be difficult or easy depending on the child. My DS HATED the little potty...REFUSED to use it. BUT...give him a step stool and tell him to "hit the paper" (a little square of paper in the bowl) and he rocked. But he was still in diapers unless I was able to "catch him" in time. Finally one day I put him in regular old fashioned undies and he wasn't too keen on the wet feel. I didn't fuss or make a big deal but he also had to help "clean up". After that he suddenly became a PRO.

Flower
11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
We were trying to train Brandon when he was almost 3 - I ended up setting a 'deadline' with him. i told him that when we got home from Disney World I wasn't buying anymore pull-ups and no more diapers. He would repeat it and remind me about it.

When we got home from Florida I did just that - stopped buying pull-ups and only allowed him to wear diapers at night.It worked! He had a few days with accidents, but within 2 weeks he was a pro.

Before the 'deadline' he would do okay at #1 on his potty, but no way would he #2. We tried the reward system which worked okay - give him m&m's when he #1 and give him a new matchbox car when he #2.

I just found that with the pull-ups they were useless, why stop to go potty when I can stay and play with my friends and pee my pants? As soon as they were taken away it was a world of difference.

We also let him run around naked in the backyard in the summer and it worked too.

It was definitely a 'road' to get him trained. He still wears the diaper at night at 3.5 yrs.

The best of luck to you!