PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor question

disneymaster
11-15-2007, 12:19 AM
So, I am going to be traveling solo and was wondering if this is a show I should check out. I really like Monsters Inc but have heard some good and bad things about this show.

Also, I have heard the term "that guy" used alot when talking about this show. What in the world does "that guy" mean. It doesn't sound like being "that guy" is good, lol.

Thanks!

SpecJoe Magic
11-15-2007, 05:09 AM
It's definitely worth a visit. I like it better than I thought I would. "That guy" is someone that is a guest in the audience that the Monsters, Inc. characters will pick on and make jokes about throughout the show.

CleveSJM
11-15-2007, 06:50 AM
I'd say it's a definite must-see at least once. They interact with several audience members but "that guy" gets it a couple times. I've seen it twice and "that guy" was up in the front two rows, near the right center both times. Seems like the interaction in mostly focused in the front and along the center.

Go, you may even learn what cheese, that you do not own, is called...:D

gerald72
11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
I thought it was a good show. I laughed a few times, at "that guy's" expense.

Disneyatic
11-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I would give it a shot, we liked it alot.

The 2nd time we saw it, my husband was "that guy" and it was hilarious!

Zippy_D_DooDah
11-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I have seen it a few times. Once during the test phase before it officially opened (the current voices were not yet being used) and I ended up being "That Guy." I went again in September and it was a totally different show...that's the cool thing about it, every show is different because the audience is different... and you never know what a little child dressed as Buzz might say. I think he had the characters at a loss for words. If you are not crunched for time, then check it out. It's also a great way to beat the heat for a few minutes.

Also, has any one ever texted a joke in while standing in the cue?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I was glad we saw it once in September but, it won't be a must do for future trips.

IloveJack
11-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I guess I'm in the minority on this one, as dh and I really didn't find it funny. The kids in the audience were cute, and we will probably try it again, as I hate to write it off after just one try. But it wasn't all that funny when we saw it.

I guess "that guy" moves around, as when we saw it, he was dead center of the left hand side (facing stage).

#1donaldfan
11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
If your "that guy", be ready for some fun "ribbing"....you should enjoy it....give it a try....:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
The attraction really does depend on the audience you happen to be part of because its a very interactive, audience participation show. If the audience is good the show will be good and vice versa. Be sure to give it a try, and if it isn't that good try again later, you might get a better audience.

"That guy" takes a lot of gentle ribbing. Really fun actually, wouldn't mind getting picked myself.:D

kbean
11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Worth checking out. How funny it will be determines on how the audience reacts to the open the floor. We had a funny crowd so the show was funny.

DisFan01
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
This is something you need to at least try once. As people have already said, "that guy" is someone they pick from the audience and make jokes about him/her the whole show.

Faz316
11-15-2007, 07:54 PM
I was "that guy" last month and I was actually a little offended. I am generally a shy person and don't like being the center of attention. I felt that it got old and annoying real fast. I am not opposed to seeing the show a second time but will be a little nervous that it could happen again.

lovetheprincesses
11-15-2007, 07:59 PM
I LOVE Monsters, Inc. I was VERY disappointed. I think everyone should try every ride and attraction at least once. To me, it was nowhere near as entertaining as Turtle Talk that it was supposed to better than. We do Turtle Talk each trip, but have no desire to see Monsters again.

RedheadWriter
11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Just tried this when I went recently (because it was new). It's not on my must do list.
Rachel

DawsonAR
11-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I thought it was really cute and my kids will really like it. On the other hand, my husband didn't care for it too much. He will do it again but just wasn't his favorite.

BronxTigger
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I was "that guy" last month and I was actually a little offended. I am generally a shy person and don't like being the center of attention. I felt that it got old and annoying real fast. I am not opposed to seeing the show a second time but will be a little nervous that it could happen again.

I was glad when this show broke down (had technical difficulties) a couple minutes into the show. When I saw that they picked random people to put on the screen I got real nervous because I HATE that kind of thing. I just wanted to get out but I was getting panicked almost because they kind of hide the doors. If I got on the screen I would get really upset. I won't do it again, even though I didn't see the whole thing the first time.

JohnHMCWYG
11-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't know if I could do an attraction like this, if only because they ask the audience for jokes on occasion. I couldn't step up to the challenge, not because I don't know any jokes, but because I don't really know any clean ones.

PirateLover
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't know if I could do an attraction like this, if only because they ask the audience for jokes on occasion. I couldn't step up to the challenge, not because I don't know any jokes, but because I don't really know any clean ones.

They don't randomly call on you to tell jokes. The monsters tell the jokes and you can text in jokes ahead of time so you're safe ;) .

I understand people are shy but being "That Guy" isn't that bad in my opinion. You aren't asked to say anything, they just throw your face up there with funny captions a few times. You just have to have a sense of humor. The jokes always funny until it's on you, right? Aside from that, I don't recall any other audience participation that wasn't voluntary but I could be off.

BelleandtheBeast
11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I have not seen the monster version but the turtke talk with crush is awesome and if it is anything like that then I would love to see it.

McGoofy
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I always tell people to try something at least once just so you can form your own opinion. It's cute and worth checking out. However, it's certainly not on my top "must do" list. If I had limited time at MK, and had to skip something that would be on the skip list. The jokes are cute and they do vary from show to show based on what people text in. I am pretty impressed at how the "monsters" are pretty quick and witty when they are interacting "on the fly" with the audience. My DS9 loves the show. He got called on this last visit when we were there during the MNSSHP. At this point in the night, he had stripped off his Halloween costume and was down to a Mickey Halloween t-shirt that had a bunch of bats on it. When his face popped up on the big tv, the monster declared, "Hey, this kid is going bats!" Then they asked him where he was from and made up a cute little song about his name and where he was from. And hey...if you get picked on to be "that guy," don't worry...you never have to talk into the microphone! :mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
11-16-2007, 06:06 PM

I feel just as you do, I would be mortified. But it was always funny when it was some other person. ;)
I saw them pick someone way in the back so it can be anywhere. Sometimes the show was hysterical, other times not as much. I would see it at least once though.

pink
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
You should definitley check it out at least once!

I thought the show was pretty good, not the best thing we've seen at Disney but we have a few laughs.

"That guy" isn't mean to be offensive, it's all in good fun and it is chosen at random. However, when we went he was sitting in the 2nd row on the left hand side.

My brother was actually choosen as one of the kids and it was great! Have fun and try it out!:mickey:

discjoker
11-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Once was more than enough for my wife and I. We were really hoping it would be great but it disappointed. The technology of the show was pretty neat but the content wasn't that funny. Most laughs seemed very forced.

Turtle Talk With Crush (which uses similar technology) on the other hand was a blast. We had such a great time the first time we saw it that we needed to see it again. We made the last show of the night and it was sooooo funny. There were only about 15 people there. The humor in the second show was geared more toward the adults than the kids. The kids weren't very cooperative (most likely because they were tired from a long day) and he joke that the "parents were there with their silent kids" and it was like a "mime convention". So so funny.

CaptSmee
11-20-2007, 12:28 AM
I was "the guy that needs a hug" and all the females in the audience went awwwwww...

Natazu
11-20-2007, 05:51 AM
I love the show. Watching people's reactions is the best. It's on our "every time we're in Tomorrowland" list.

big blue and hairy
11-20-2007, 09:25 AM
No offense to anyone, but hey....relax...you're on vacation. Nobody knows you there and people generally forget who THAT GUY was almost immediately after the show. I was THAT GUY a couple of times. The jokes are not personal, they are generic jokes that could be said about anyone. It's a fun show whether or not you are THAT GUY.

:sulley:

Kate In Wonderland
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
My DH and I went for the first time in May and we were CRYING from laughter. People were walking out of there doubled over because it was so funny. But it's interesting because I've told a few people to go to see it, and some people had the same experience as me, but others' experiences were just "ok". I guess it's kind of a crapshoot! :D

cal5755
11-20-2007, 11:33 PM
My kids loved it!! I thought it was really cute too. We did it twice when we were there in september. Mom and I did it too when we went last week and it was just the two of us. I say try it at least once!!

Disneypixie513
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM

I have! And they said it during the show..I was so excited:D
What do you get from pampered cows?
Spoiled Milk(that was the joke i sent in)

I would definately do the show at least once. It's alot of fun!

DisneyTwirler13!
11-21-2007, 11:50 AM

We did! We had two cell phones with us, and we used both of them to send in jokes, and they used both of them!
They kind of messed mine up tho...
It was:
What did the firefighter name his sons?
Jose and Hose B
Get it?
They only said the name Jose, and it really didn't make sense...
The people backstage kind of took the joke-teller (I forget who it is right now) out early.

Figgyluv03
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Go, you may even learn what cheese, that you do not own, is called...:D

Nacho Cheese (Not your cheese!)

celebrationasheley
11-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Me and my hubby stayed for a second show and it is like a broken record, but believe me it doesn't get old. Getting those people on screen! CHURROS!
And say your favorite meal is almonds... :)

celebrationasheley
11-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Raise your hand if you're here!

Mackflava99
11-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Its funny for everyone and at first "that guy" gets picked on a littel, but at the end it becomes a positive.

We laughed alot-

LudwigVonDrake
11-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I LOVED this show. Go in with an open mind and I think you'll enjoy yourself. I was picked and they sang the new National Anthem for New York. I had a ball :mickey:

HELLO HUMANS!!!!!!!!!

realtreebar
11-24-2007, 10:49 AM
looking forward to Monsters inc. as we did not get to see it in january now i guess it open so here we come monsters inc. "gotta love:mickey:"

KAJUNKING
11-24-2007, 11:50 AM
we really enjoyed it dd8 and ds6 could have gone over and over, i thought it was very funny :mickey:

CantonMichigan
11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I love Turtle Talk in Epcot and I assume they meant to capitalize on that great show by creating a larger stage in MK.

But frankly, it's not as good as Turtle Talk. The guy in Turtle Talk has to be witty and on his feet while responding to audience questions. We went to the Monsters, Inc. twice this week and saw basically the same show each time. The only difference being the texted jokes sent in by the audience.

But don't get me wrong. It's a fun show to go to (at least once).

illini
11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
I think it's cute, but not something that I was completely blow away by. We did it once during our trip, and will probably keep it to a once a trip thing. Our kids actually never asked for it again.

My DD5 was picked to be Boo on her birthday, though, and that was cute. She looks quite a bit like her, too. :mickey:

Buzz_Burbank
12-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Once a trip for me is more than enough. Like others on this thread I think that Turtle Talk is much better. This is at best a poor imitation. BTW, if I hold my breath long enough do you think they will bring back Timekeeper??? :D Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the Alien Encounter brought back across the street too....

Boo's Brother
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
And say your favorite meal is almonds... :)

I don't understand. Almonds? I've not yet seen this show but it sounds awesome and I can't wait to see it in April. I would love to be 'that guy' however. It sounds really fun to be 'picked' on by Disney :P Is there a particular age range they normally choose? And how could I improve my chances?

My DD5 was picked to be Boo on her birthday, though, and that was cute. She looks quite a bit like her, too. :mickey:

Picked for Boo? Please explain this. My DS looks exactly like her, hence the name, and it would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.

ldn324
12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
DH and I were pleasantly surprised at Monster Laugh Floor. It wasn't nearly as corny as I thought it would be. "That guy" was funny!

As far as people not going because they don't want to interract, in the show we attended they went to one little girl - about 10-12 years old - and it was obvious that she wasn't comfortable. They cut away immediately and the CM with the microphone didn't pressure her at all. I think they are trained to tell when someone's not comfortable talking in a crowd.

I think it's a really cute show and we will definitely see it again, especially since it's always a different show.

RocknRoller94
12-11-2007, 10:57 PM
It's Really Funny! That guy is a guy that is picked at the beginning of the show, and is joked about the entire rest of the show.:mickey:

RSGBSG2002
12-16-2007, 03:08 PM

Yeah, but it's hard thinking of a joke that's made for ALL ages. lol:thedolls:

WDWFREAK101
12-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I like this ride! I find it hilarious! I walked in and i thought it would be extremely cheesy with "Little kid" jokes but i was laughing very hard many times. Some parts were cheesy like "When somebody says 'Hello Humans!' you have to raise your hands in the air and yell loud" Whatever. Other than that i think it was hilarious! The purple guy in the middle of the show is the funniest i thought. Mike's nephew was kind of boring. I have seen it twice and it is always different. The 2 headed monster in the beginning was very boring the first time i saw the show but the next time i saw it, it was hilarious! You definitly need to try it.

SurferStitch
12-20-2007, 01:39 PM
DH and I loved the Laugh Floor. The humor was great, and not just geared toward little kids. We saw it twice, and loved it both times. Can't wait to see it again on our next trip.

The second time we saw it was during MVMCP. DH took off his Stitch Santa hat so the ears wouldn't block anyone sitting behind him. (Personally, I think he just didn't want to stick out in the crowd, but plenty of us were wearing Santa hats).

Well, guess who got picked as "That Guy"........yup. Dear old DH was "That Guy", and he loved it. As we walked out of the theater, a bunch of kids kept yelling, "Hey, it's that guy!!".

DigitalDaredevil
12-23-2007, 06:15 PM
The show is definitely worth seeing once. After that, it depends on the crowd participation since it can get a little repetitive with the same jokes.