PDA

View Full Version : Dining at the Yak & Yeti

WDWdriver
11-14-2007, 06:02 PM
The Yak & Yeti is open at AK. The restaurant is actually two restaurants in one. The indoor portion is on two floors with table service dining. The menu is upscale and primarily Asian. There are appetizers such as seared Ahi tuna and steamed mussels. Main dishes include seared Miso salmon, crispy mahi mahi, roasted duck and tempura shrimp. There are also wok dishes and grilled choices like baby back ribs and steak & shrimp.

Outside there are four walk-up windows with a simpler menu. Here you can order such things as sweet & sour pork, Kung Pao beef and shrimp lo mein. There are cheeseburgers and chicken bites for the little ones.

There is an extensive beverage menu, including soft drinks, teas, beer, wine, saki and mixed drinks.

The outdoor seating is spacious and attractive with shade trees and a fountain. I ate at the outdoor side yesterday and again today. The food was hot and tasty. Much like you would find perhaps at your favorite oriental restaurant.

I am sending the complete menu to Carol so she can get it into Info Central. In the meantime, I will try to answer any specific questions here.

mudpuppysmom
11-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Was the miso salmon offered at the CS side as well? That sounds good!!

WDWdriver
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Sorry, Miso Salmon is only available in the table service side.

ThanxForNoticin
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Are you able to tell yet how they are going to handle the hours at Y&Y? Much of the year, AK closes by 5 or 6PM. Will the restaurant remain open a few hours past closing?

The place sounds great. We hope to get there to give it a try in the spring. Thanks for the info.

merlinmagic4
11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Wow, that's amazing! We were there on Sunday and it looked like construction was still going on! So, the wall has been removed? That was still there on Sunday, too!

WDWdriver
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Are you able to tell yet how they are going to handle the hours at Y&Y? Much of the year, AK closes by 5 or 6PM. Will the restaurant remain open a few hours past closing?

Normally, the restaurant will be open from 10 a.m. to park close, which is usually 5 p.m. this time of year. Guests seated by 5 p.m. can of course remain after park closing time to finish their meals. The hours today were 10 to 7, due to Extra Magic Hours tonight until 8.

amorillo
11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
My mouth is watering! I can't wait to check it out in February!

Be sure to let us all know when the full menu is up.... I'd love to check it out!

MinnieMommie
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the update. I look forward to dining at Yak & Yeti. You mentioned tempura Shrimp. Do they have other tempura offerings? :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
11-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the info. Lots of people are really looking forward to the new restaurant.

Jared
11-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I wonder how popular the table service section will be, considering the park routinely closes at 5 p.m. My family rarely enjoys a sit-down lunch, preferring to have our big meal for dinner.

More importantly, Animal Kingdom desperately needed another counter service option, and Yak & Yeti should fill the void.

:tasty:

WDWdriver
11-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the update. I look forward to dining at Yak & Yeti. You mentioned tempura Shrimp. Do they have other tempura offerings? :mickey:

The Sweet and Sour Chicken or Pork is also described as a tempura dish. Both the Tempura Shrimp and the Sweet & Sour Chicken/pork are served only on the table service side. The price is 18.99 for the shrimp, 15.99 for the chicken/pork. There is also a grilled dish called Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp for 22.99. The shrimp in this dish are tempura-battered.

MinnieMommie
11-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Yummy! I will have to hold out till January but can't wait. I will keep an eye on this post to learn more by reading the Q & As. Thanks :mickey:

KylesMom
11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the report, Ron! I had planned on bypassing Y&Y, but I think we're going to have to take a second look at it! :mickey:

WDWdriver
11-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I wonder how popular the table service section will be, considering the park routinely closes at 5 p.m. My family rarely enjoys a sit-down lunch, preferring to have our big meal for dinner.

More importantly, Animal Kingdom desperately needed another counter service option, and Yak & Yeti should fill the void.

:tasty:

Hi Jared. Good to hear from you.

AK also needed a table service option. The Rainforest Cafe at the park entrance was just not enough. The table service may not be hugely popular during the winter hours when the park closes early. But during the summer, when the park closes at 8:00, it should do quite well.

Meanwhile, the counter service option will be popular year round, especially with the nice outdoor seating in the Asia section of the park.

Bethanymouse
11-14-2007, 11:04 PM
That sounds delicious. It really is too bad that they arent included on the disney dining plan.....

GreenBeetle
11-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Mmmmm, it all sounds scrumptious! I can't wait to see the full menu. :D

kaylamag
11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Is this on the Disney dining plan?

BriarRose0708
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
sounds delish! Looking forward to trying the CS in June. Are there pictures anywhere?

LandFan
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Sounds great! I think I'll have to try it next week - WOW NEXT WEEK!!! YIPPEEEE!!!

poeticeclipse
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm also confused as to whether or not this is on the DDP! I read when we first heard about Y&Y that it was not on the DDP but a week ago or so, I read somewhere that it WAS on the DDP. Hmm.... anyone confirm or deny?

cinderellagrl
11-15-2007, 10:52 AM
anyone know if they are taking ADRS?

BriarRose0708
11-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm also confused as to whether or not this is on the DDP! I read when we first heard about Y&Y that it was not on the DDP but a week ago or so, I read somewhere that it WAS on the DDP. Hmm.... anyone confirm or deny?

I have read conflicting reports as well. A quick call to CRO could clear it up. I don't have time today but if no one has a definitive answer i can do it tomorrow.

Figment!
11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm also confused as to whether or not this is on the DDP! I read when we first heard about Y&Y that it was not on the DDP but a week ago or so, I read somewhere that it WAS on the DDP. Hmm.... anyone confirm or deny?From the Central Reservations info release:
2007 PACKAGES:
none

2008 PACKAGES:
Magic Your Way + Dining (L,D)
Magic Your Way + Dining w/Wine (L,D)
Magic Your Way Deluxe Dining (L,D)
Magic Your Way Deluxe Dining/Wine (L,D)
Magic Your Way Premium (L,D)
Magic Your Way Premium w/Wine (L,D)
Magic Your Way Platinum (L,D)
Magic Your Way Platinum w/Wine (L,D)

This location requires 1 Wine entitlement for any package with the Wine & Dine Plan.
anyone know if they are taking ADRS?Reservations can be made starting December 3, 2007 for January 4, 2008 and beyond up to 180 Days in advance.

Figment!
11-15-2007, 12:08 PM
There is a menu posted on {another site}. Don't know if it's complete or not but you will get an idea of what is served.

Welcome to INTERCOT :hi:

No need to go elsewhere, Ron grabbed the complete menu from his recent visit and it will be posted in info Central (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/default.asp) shortly.

In the meantime, the general menu as internally released can currently be found in Landry’s Yak & Yeti Dining Complex: Updated with Menu, Reservation info and Details (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=90017) down in the News forum.

scottgr
11-15-2007, 05:02 PM
yummm. The counter service sounds cool. I am going to have to try it next time around.:thumbsup:

Figgyluv03
11-16-2007, 12:46 PM
The Fried Wonton desert looks really good! I love pineapples!!!!!! Yummy! I'm glad it's on 2008 DDP!!!!

avantgardeinker
11-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I know the Yak and Yeti is not on the dining plan for 2007, but what about the CS place next to it? I was hoping we could eat there in Dec on the dining plan.

20 more days!!
:mickey:

WDWdriver
11-17-2007, 09:30 AM
The counter service side of the restaurant is also not on the plan for 2007.

Jared
11-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Or 2008, I presume?

Thanks for checking in, Ron! :D

ToDisney
11-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I bet the seatting area iss really nice:mickey:

I don't understand why it wouldn't be on the DDP.
Is it because it's NEW??:confused:
I was looking forward to at least trying the counter service!!:(

jkj1224
11-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Headed over to Yak 'n Yeti for lunch today and I have to say it was very good. We shared the dim sum appetizer, good choice if you like pork. Boyfriend had the roasted duck which came with white rice and a very good citrus glaze. I had the tamarind crusted chicken, very moist with a nice crispy skin. And you guys have to try the deep fried wonton dessert, pineapple and cream cheese wontons on skewers with strawberries and vanilla ice cream. :cloud9: In my opinion just what AK needed.

jrkcr
11-18-2007, 11:27 PM
This sounds great!!! I can't WAIT to try it next trip! But the name still makes me think of a yeti throwing up...:D

avantgardeinker
11-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Actually, I emailed Disney about this and this was part of the response they gave me...

I contacted Guest Services for Disney Animal Kingdom. They are taking
counter service from our Dining packages at this time.

We will definitley be trying this out... The menu looks really good!!

17 more days!!
:mickey:

WDWdriver
11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
This sounds great!!! I can't WAIT to try it next trip! But the name still makes me think of a yeti throwing up...:D

I know the name sounds odd. But as you know, Disney doesn't add anything new without a lot of research and forethought. The name comes from the Hotel Yak & Yeti, a first-class hotel and landmark located in Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. The hotel is located on the grounds of a 100+ year old palace, and is filled with examples of Nepalese art and culture. It features a view of the Himalayas, as does Disney's Yak & Yeti in the village of Anandapur on the road to the Himalayan fortress at Serka Zong.

illini
11-19-2007, 11:34 PM
The CS part *IS* on the DDP. I know 'cause I ate there on Friday. :mickey: I'll post a full review soon, but a quick scoop.

The service was *really* friendly and *really* fast. It was so fast that I actually didn't have time to decide what to order. I followed DH's lead and got the Kung Pao beef (not normally something I'd order, so keep that in mind). We apparently got different batches. My rice was mushy, his wasn't. He had lots of the Kung Pao beef, I didn't. Flavor was good. My beef was chewy. Lots of red peppers though, which is a bonus for me. Two of the kids had the chicken, which was NOT standard Disney nuggets-- more like lemon chicken bits w/o the sauce-- very yum. We're not big nugget fans around here, but these were good. DD had a burger, I think (I'll ask her). The other choice was an eggroll. I was bummed and very surprised that my kids didn't order that. I wish I'd ordered the shrimp lo mein. As we were leaving, I saw a girl eating it. It looked and smelled wonderful. Dessert was standard, pre-packaged chocolate cake.

It was OK. I think I may have gotten a portion that had been sitting around. DH really liked his, so I'd definitely be willing to try it again. It's not Tusker House quality, though, so I'm disappointed. Then again, it was their 3rd day, so I shouldn't be too harsh.

WDWdriver
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
The Yak & Yeti menus, both table service and counter service, are now available at Intercot's Info Central.

PiratesCove
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
My Mother and I ate there the second day it was open! I believe that was Nov 15th, we had table service. Our trip was Nov 11-16th @ WDW.

I had the Crispy Honey Chicken - Tempura chicken, broccoli, carrots and honey sauce, with choice of brown or jasmine rice.

Momma had Mandarin Chicken Salad - Chilled chicken, romaine and iceberg lettuce, Mandarin oranges, almonds, sesame seeds, rice noodles and plum dressing.

Try the Yak Attack drink, you'll enjoy it! Yak and Yetie: 5 stars, yummy food, drinks and desserts!

dolphinmickey9170
11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
From the Central Reservations info release:Reservations can be made starting December 3, 2007 for January 4, 2008 and beyond up to 180 Days in advance.

This is so true. I called last evening and that is exactly what the CM told me. I could call on December 3rd to make ressie for Jan 4 or later. But she didn't say anything about it not being on the DDP, so be careful when you call.

TwoTinyWings
11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
We ate at the Yaki & Yeti's CS on Monday 11/19 and were pleasantly surprised. While the wait to order was quite long (crowded park + opening week glitches), we had barely stepped up to the counter when our tray of food was placed in front of us. We ordered the honey chicken, sweet & sour pork, pork egg rolls, chicken fried rice, and chocolate cake. The entree and rice items were served in cute Chinese take-out style containers, which was a fun departure from the usual CS fare. In our opinion, the entrees were good, but not fantastic. However, the appetizer/side items were very good, and we determined that we'd probably make meals out of the egg rolls and fried rice when we go back again on a future trip. Definitely a great value at $3.50 each for a generous portion.

The one major criticism I will mention is the decided lack of seating for the CS location. Granted, the park was very crowded on the day we were there, but it seemed like the place could not possibly offer enough seating to meet the demand of even a lightly crowded day. We were contemplating trekking all the way back to the Flame Tree seating area when we lucked out and got a table. I just cannot imagine how they could have underestimated the demand for seating at this place. Compared to Flame Tree and the old Tusker House set-up, the seating area is ridiculously small. I hope they're able to do something about this.

ThanxForNoticin
11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
FYI - they have already opened the lines to get ADRs at the Yak & Yeti. I know 12/3 is the published date, but several folks (including us) have already called and gotten ADRs early. So if you are in the window to get ADRs, give them a call. I have to thank a few other folks on Intercot for pointing this out earlier today.