PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Holiday movies?

caryrae
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
With the holidays fast approching and the holiday movies should start soon, what are some of favorites that you love to watch every year?

My favorites are National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out), and of course A Charlie Brown Christmas.:snowman::tree:

Opps almost forgot I also like How The :grinch: Stole Christmas.

disneydrmr
11-14-2007, 04:27 PM
The Santa Clause movies with Tim Allen... Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas (golly, do you got mashed potatoes? :D)....The Nativity....A Charlie Brown Christmas....heck! I love them all!!!! Bring on Christmas! :sleigh::santa::tree::santa3::tree:

SBETigg
11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
They're not movies, but I love the Rankin Bass classics, especially Year without a Santa Claus.

NotaGeek
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and of course, It's a Wonderful Life (NON color version!) and A Miracle on 34th Street. For modern Holiday movies I absolutely LOVE Elf (and I always die laughing!)

PirateLover
11-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas (golly, do you got mashed potatoes? :D
Get a purdy girl dancin to some jugband music and a mess 'a momma's bar-b-que!

I love love love holiday movies/specials. The theater we saw Fred Claus in is actually showing Christmas Vacation on one of their Friday night flashback events and we'll probably go check it out.

My faves-
Elf. Saw it 3x in the theater and countless times on DVD and still laugh just as hard.
Love Actually- This came out in february for some reason but it's set around Christmas and I consider it to be a great all around movie
Charlie Brown Christmas
Muppet Family Christmas
Santa Clause series
A Christmas Story- we always referred to this movie as "red ryder bb gun" and was a favorite in my house. It's getting a bit played out but I still enjoy it.
Muppet Christmas Carol
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Home Alone
Die Hard ;)
Scrooged
It's a Wonderful Life - I think every sitcom has parodied/paid tribute to this scenario

And the list goes on and on. I love Christmas!

bleukarma
11-14-2007, 05:15 PM
It’s a Wonderful Life will always be my favorite! I know it’s way overplayed, but I still love watching it!

The Ref with Dennis Leary and Kevin Spacey. Love it!

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Another one I’ve watched over and over.

Noel with Paul Walker and Penelope Cruz.

Usually Christmas Eve/Christmas Day I have the A Christmas Story marathon on. I love this movie but it has forever changed me, I cannot see the word “fragile” without thinking “fra-gi-le!” Whenever I move or help someone move my mind almost explodes from all the boxes with the word stamped on it!

Family Man with Nick Cage. I don’t really think this is a Christmas movie, but it takes place at Christmas time.

TKDONALD
11-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Im A Sucker For The Classics.

I Would Have To Say My Favorites Are:
1) White Christmas
2) Holiday Inn
3) Meet Me In St. Louis

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Home Alone 1 and 2
The Santa Clause movies

I love almost all other christmas movies but these movies really give me the christmas feeling :yay:

mttafire
11-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Christmas vacation and any of the classic movies like "Frosty the snowman" and the rest of those late 60's early 70's classics.

jennbunn
11-14-2007, 05:54 PM
a christmas story by far is my fav. we also love all the t.v holiday specials. my ds is looking foward to the new pooh and friends christmas dvd out in a week.

mudpuppysmom
11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
My brother and sister have made fun of me for years for STILL watching Christmas movies.......

Any of the Rankin Bass "oldies"
Nestor, the Long Eared Christmas Donkey

I can't wait every year for Fox to come out with their 25 Days of Christmas movie schedule!! DS and I watch quite a few of them thru the season.......sometimes more than one.

I think I'm ok to admit on here that I OWN several of the Christmas movies I love and watch them from time to time -- I guess having a kid "justified" me owning them:blush:

caryrae
11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
One other I remember watching long ago was called "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" with Mickey Rooney. For some reason it is very rarely played and is hard to find. It is only on VHS not DVD. It came out in 1984, this is a little about the TV movie: Mickey Rooney plays Mike Halligan, a retired cop from Manhattan living in California with his family who decides to show his grandson, who has never seen snow before, what a real white Christmas in New York is like. But he dies from a sudden heart attack in which Halligan makes a deal with the Archangel of Heaven to return to Earth for a week until Christmas and show his grandson the seasonal glories of New York City.

rcaide
11-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Im A Sucker For The Classics.

I Would Have To Say My Favorites Are:
1) White Christmas
2) Holiday Inn
3) Meet Me In St. Louis

Like Jason I prefer the classics. I love Christmas in Connecticut, and the original Miracle on 34th Street. But my all time favorite is White Christmas. At our house this isn't a movie, it is an event. The tree has to be decorated, fresh cookies available, hot cocoa to drink, and singing is mandatory!!! "Sisters, sisters..." :blush: My son who is 16 now is trying to break the tradition this year. I said, No White Christmas, no presents!" I think he'll come around. I tease him all the time and say, "When I'm dead you will watch that movie every Christmas and cry and say my mother loved that movie." He says, "Well you aren't dead yet." :thedolls: Gotta love him:shake:

Melanie
11-14-2007, 07:16 PM
My hubby just bought me the Collector's Edition of It's A Wonderful Life, as it is my all time favorite Christmas movie. The DVD has both the B&W and color versions, but I too prefer the original B&W.

pixiegoose
11-14-2007, 07:24 PM
White Christmas is my absolute favorite (but I still don't have it on DVD! I'm still not sure how I've managed that). I also love the original Miracle on 34th Street and The Santa Clause. And I saw Holiday Inn for the first time last holiday season and liked it.

GrmGrninGost
11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I absolutely love Christmas movies! Some of my favorites are It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, original Miracle on 34th Street, Santa Claus the Movie,The Polar Express, the Rankin/Bass shows and A Christmas Story. But my all-time favorite is the original cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas! :grinch:

tink'72
11-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Some of my favs are: White Christmas ( LOVE THIS ), Christmas Vacation, Elf ( HILARIOUS ), The Grinch with Jim Carey, Mickey's Twice Upon a Christma ( the kids and I love watching this )....and for some reason Gone with the Wind...for some reason I always think of this movie as a Christmas movie!

I almost forgot...The Polar Express...I cried like a baby...my daughter told me last year she didn't believe in Santa anymore and this movie hit so close to home. I just LOVED It!!!!!

JohnHMCWYG
11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
As an 80s fan, my favorite Christmas movies come from that decade.

In no particular order, I enjoy "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", "Scrooged", "Lethal Weapon" and "Die Hard". I regard the last two as traditional Christmas movies. Each one has become a classic in its' own unique way, and each one generates new fans each year.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

MinnieMommie
11-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Right now we are watching Christmas with the Kranks which is among our favorites. Others include but are not limited to:

Charlie Brown Christmas
The Grinich Who Stole Christmas (the cartoon not the movie)
Love Actually
Home Alone 1 and 2
The Ref
Miracle on 34th St (with Natalie Wood)
Holiday Inn
Muppets Christmas
Belle's Christmas
Bells of St Mary

oh gee...I know I am forgetting so many :mickey:

EllieMae
11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Some of my faves (in no order cause I love them all) are:
- Christmas Vacation - its a family tradition to quote whole movie
- White Christmas - another fam. fave. love to sing the songs
- Love Actually - might be my favorite movie all around, makes me cry every time.
- Charlie Brown Christmas
- Elf - "Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"
- Polar Express - love it!

ASweetLov
11-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Mine are Home Alone, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Jack Frost, How The Grinch Stole Christmas,The Polar Express, Gremlins(set at christmas time),3 Days(abcfamily movie),Mickey's Once and Twice Upon A Christmas, The Flintstones Christmas Carol,Smurfs Christmas......etc:mickey:

disneydrmr
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I can't wait every year for Fox to come out with their 25 Days of Christmas movie schedule!! DS and I watch quite a few of them thru the season.......sometimes more than one.

I think I'm ok to admit on here that I OWN several of the Christmas movies I love and watch them from time to time -- I guess having a kid "justified" me owning them:blush:

I also can't wait for the Fox 25 Days of Christmas! DH and I watch this regularly! You are not the only one that owns Christmas movies! Each Thanksgiving I drag out ALL my Christmas movies (and I have tons of them! All the Rankin/Bass classics, Charlie Brown, Muppets, etc..) and DH and I make it a point to watch them all in the course of the holiday season!

I'd forgotten about another one.. it is a made for TV special called "Borrowed Hearts".. starring Roma Downey and Hector Elizondo... here's the syopsis of the movie..."Kathleen's a hard-working single mother, who's saving to buy a house for herself and her daughter, Zoe. Sam's a businessman who has to pretend he has a family in order to close a deal with the mysterious Javier Del Campo. Sam owns the company that Kathleen works for, and as her boss, manages to convince her to help him out. But Del Campo is more than he seems, and it just might be Zoe who's making the real deal to get a new home for herself, her mother, and Sam. "..... it's an awesome movie!

tinkerbell04
11-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!!!

TheDuckRocks
11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
We have a huge collection of Christmas movies on DVD. My favorite classic is Holiday Inn and my favorite newer one is Love Actually. I would list the rest of my favorites but the post would be way to long.

brad192
11-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Everyone has mentioned a lot of my favorites, but nobody has yet mentioned.... A Christmas Carol! Mr. Dickens sure knew how to spin a tale! My personal favorite rendition is the one filmed, I believe, back in the early '80's with George C. Scott as Scrooge. The whole movie was so well done, and his interpretation of Scrooge was amazing! :thumbsup:

DisneyOtaku
11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I love the classics. The old claymation specials like Rudoph and cartoons like Charlie Brown. I love the original Grinch as well as the live action film. The original Tim Allen Santa Claus movie is also a must watch. How can I forget the Muppet's Christmas Carol. Also the Disney Christmas Carol that we taped years ago when I was a child :thumbsup:

KarenP
11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
I love the Home Alone movies, Christmas Vacation, Christmas with the Kranks, and Miracle on 34th Street, to name a few.

I also have a made for television movie that I taped a few years ago that is one of my favorites. It is stars Tyne Daley and is called Undercover Christmas.

I also love to watch all the sitcom repeat Christmas episodes like Full House, Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond.

branvy
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Since I was a kid I loved all the Rankin ones (of course), but was a huge sucker for Frosty and (one no one ever mentions) 'Twas the Night Before Christmas ("Come on ol' Kris Kringle, down the Milkey Waaay").

As an adult, it's not Christmas without:
Muppet Christmas Carol
Christmas Story
White Christmas

Two movies that I LOVE, but they never show are:
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Scrooge - the musical ;) (weird, b/c growing up they showed this EVERY Christmas eve, now not at all)

scottgr
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM
I love christmas movies also.. Here are my top 4

1. A Christmas Carol
2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
3 The Night They Saved Christmas (one that was on TV back in the 80'. I got my self a copy on VHS). Its a great movie.
4. Mickey's Christmas Carol

I love Christmas moveis
:santa:

murphy1
11-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I love White Christmas, too! Vera Ellen is such an amazing dancer in it. It's very poigniant today with the military theme it carries. Love Ralphie, too! Hard to believe that movie is so old now. My all time is It's a Wonderful Life though, who doesn't cry at the end of that one!

IloveDisney71
11-15-2007, 08:01 PM
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. The Santa Clause
3. The animated: The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, & Santa Claus is Coming to Town
4. Polar Express

I guess the ones listed in #3 are proof that I just can't grow up! :snowman::deer::grinch::santa2:

brownie
11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
We kick off the holiday season by watching The Muppet Christmas Carol sometime during Thanksgiving weekend. I also try to see Christmas Vacation every year.

caryrae
11-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Here's the 2007 schedule for ABC Family: 25 days of Christmas.

http://a.media.abcfamily.go.com/abcfamily/pdf/Specials/25DOC_printable_calendar.pdf

Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas

Wednesday, 11/21
7pm/6c Meet the Parents

Thursday, November 22
7pm/6c The Princess Diaries

Friday, November 23
8pm/7c White Christmas

Saturday, November 24
All Day Holiday Movie Marathon

Sunday November 25
8pm/7c Christmas Caper A New ABC Family Original Movie

Monday November 26
7pm/6c A Mom for Christmas

Tuesday November 27
7pm/6c Prancer

Wednesday November 28
9pm/8c The Christmas List

Thursday November 29
9pm/8c Home Alone 4

Friday November 30
7pm/6c Frosty’s Winter Wonderland
7:30/6:30 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

25 Days of Christmas

Saturday, December 1
7pm/6c Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Sunday, December 2
6pm/5c Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Monday, December 3
7pm/6c Rudolph’s Shiny New Year
8pm/7c The Year Without a Santa Claus
9pm/8c the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys

Tuesday, December 4
7pm/6c Snow
9pm/8c Santa Baby

Wednesday, December 5
7pm/6c ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
8pm/7c I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Thursday, December 6
7pm/6c Once Upon a Christmas
9pm/8c Twice Upon a Christmas

Friday, December 7
8pm/7c The Polar Express

Saturday, December 8
All Day Holiday Classics Marathon
7pm/6c Santa Clause 2

Sunday, December 9
8pm/7c Holiday In Handcuffs A New ABC Family Original Movie

Monday, December 10
7pm/6c Mary Poppins

Tuesday, December 11
7pm/6c Jack Frost

Wednesday, December 12
7pm/6c Frosty’s Winter Wonderland
8pm/7c The Polar Express

Thursday, December 13
7pm/6c The Little Drummer Boy
8pm/7c Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Friday, December 14
7pm/6c Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat
8pm/7c Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Saturday, December 15
8pm/7c Snowglobe A New ABC Family Original Movie

Sunday, December 16
7pm/6c The Incredibles

Monday, December 17
7pm/6c Pinocchio’s Christmas
8pm/7c Jingle All the Way

Tuesday, December 18
7pm/6c Rudolph’s Shiny New Year

Wednesday, December 19
7pm/6c Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town
8pm/7c The Year Without a Santa Claus
9pm/8c Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys

Thursday, December 20
7pm/6c Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat
7:30pm/6:30c Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
8pm/7c Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Friday, December 21
7pm/6c The Year Without a Santa Claus
8pm7/c Mary Poppins

Saturday, December 22
All Day Holiday Movie Marathon
8pm/7c The Incredibles

Sunday, December 23
7pm/6c Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Monday, December 24
All Day Holiday Classics Marathon
8:30/7c The Polar Express

Tuesday, December 25
8:30/7:30c The Incredibles

goofysbabe
11-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Love this post - I have lots!!!

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
The Polar Express
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Santa Claus 1 & 2 (haven't seen 3 yet)
Charlie Brown Christmas
Home Alone
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
Jingle All the Way
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Elf

I try to watch these every year! My children watch them year round.

AdventurerKim
11-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I love to watch Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas, Scrooged, Love Actually, and The Muppets Christmas Carol.

bleukarma
11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the list caryrae!!!

I usually make a Christmas movie wishlist on my tivo every year and record some of the obscure movies that are played on tv. It's fun to see what is out there!

LibertyTreeGal
11-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I LOVE Emmet Otter! But I haven't seen it in at least 25 years :(

I love A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life in B&W

RenDuran
11-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Christmas Vacation is the best! The entire movie is funny, but the best part is when that squirrel comes out of the tree! I die every time that scene comes on!

The Flying Dutchman
11-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Most of my favorites have already been named also (ie White Christmas, Nat Lampoon, The Santa Clause, Love Actually, etc.) but one that i have not seen mentioned yet is The Family Stone. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! Anyone else agree?

MissMaryPoppins
11-17-2007, 09:13 PM
"Miracle on 34th Street" has always been my favorite christmas movie. I also love "Elf" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas". "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" is another favorite. My father taped it way back in 1978 when it was on TV for the first time. There's a song in it called "Keep Christmas With You" and Linda teaches all the kids to sign it. Since I watched the tape almost everyday my mom taught herself the signing part than she taught me in time for Christmas. When my brother and I found the tape a few years ago and put it on my mom showed us that she still remembers how to sign it, i don't but I do remember all the words.

Joy :elf:

DisneyCrazyET
11-17-2007, 09:25 PM
I enjoy White Christmas & Holiday Inn.
DH and DSS like Christmas Vacation and The Christmas Story.

IloveJack
11-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Home Alone 1 and 2 (but never 3 and 4)

My brother and I used to watch them every Thanksgiving at my Granny's, while the adults sat around the table after dinner. Now that my cousin's old enough to get his say, he gets there early and hides the movies. So instead of the hilarious antics of Marv, we have to watch anime junk. :ack:

I also sing along with Charlie Brown's Christmas whenever it comes on, and I love the Santa Clause movies.

RedheadWriter
11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
I love all of the cartoons that come on:
Frosty, Rudolph, The Grinch.
Original Miracle on 34th Street.
And, for soem reason this is not really a Christmas film, but TBS plays Wizard of Oz this time of year, so I always look forward to seeing that.
Rachel

caryrae
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
I just watched the movie "The Christmas Shoes", it was pretty good. It's a sad movie but it has a great message. There was a book and the popular Christmas Shoes song the movie was made from, some may have heard the song.

BriarRose0708
11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
There are so many great Christmas movies out there! My top favorites are-

White Christmas (I could watch this in August!)
Charlie Brown Christmas
Elf
It's A Wonderful Life
Prancer
Home Alone
A Christmas Story
A Christmas Carol
Muppet Christmas Carol
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

tennantsrwe
11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey!
WE LOOOOOOOOOOVE National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's a family tradition to watch it at least once during the holidays. No matter how many times we've seen it, we still laugh! We've been knows to quote some of the more infamous lines through out the season....just to keep the spirits up during the hectic times! Also we love Charlie Brown....it's another must see every year! Linus is our fav!

May524
11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Another vote for National Lampoons Christmas Vacation! WE LOVE IT!

I also love the first Home Alone. :blush:

Crystal Palace
11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I love A Muppet Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, Love Actually, and The Grinch.:grinch::deer::santa::snowman::tree:

JohnHMCWYG
11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
When it comes to the Muppets and Christmas, I like the "Muppet Family Christmas" special, where they bought together the regular Muppets, the "Sesame Street" Muppets and the "Fraggle Rock" Muppets (as well as foam-and-felt versions of the "Muppet Babies"). It was enjoyable, although I did feel sorry for Fozzie when Statler and Waldorf ended up in the house as well because of his mother meeting them on vacation.

I always felt for Fozzie (no pun intended). He was sort of like the Rodney Dangerfield of all the Muppets. Maybe if he did dirtier material?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The Muppets were originally designed for adults, after all.

MScholl13
12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is my all time favorite. My family watches it every single year and my Dad and I love to quote it at any random time.

White Christmas
The original Grinch, not the crummy Jim Carrey remake.
It's a Wonderful Life
Ranking-Bass short movies. I love Rudolph, but Jack Frost is great too
Miracle on 34th Street
Home Alone

I've never seen Emmett Otter and I could never find it in the stores until this year when I found it at the PX where my husband is stationed. I freaked out right there in the aisle. I'm sure people thought I was nuts. ;)

baby minnie's mommy
12-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Some movies I like watching each year are:

:tree: It's a Wonderful Life

:santa2: The Santa Clause movies with Tim Allen
(Am looking forward to finally watching #3)

:santa: Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas

:train: The Polar Express

caryrae
12-08-2007, 02:26 PM
I know my parents have a bunch of Holiday movies and in Dec they watch one every evening. They like the older ones to like White Christmas, Wonderful Life, ect.

pdrlkr
12-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Our favorites are National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story and A Charlie Brown Christmas.