PDA

View Full Version : humble request for pixie dust

mousetrapper
11-14-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm three days away from our trip and we (DH, two DDs and I) are all very excited.

Problem: About two weeks ago I started not feeling right, stomach issues but nothing very definite, so I thought maybe it was a mild virus.

Well, this past Friday I went to my doc in the a.m. and he said it's probably a virus and to call him if things got worse. Things got worse!! I developed severe abdominal pains and went to the emergency room that evening, thinking I had appendicitis.

Several tests later, nothing conclusive except for a "distended gallbladder" showing up on my CT scan. Now my doc thinks maybe it's gallbladder issues or gallstones, so I'm going for the ultrasound this Friday (the day before our vacation!).

I've been so healthy the past few years with nary a cold that this is one of those "why now?" moments in life!! I'm tired and the pain ebbs and flows.

So, long story short, if any of you kind souls out there wouldn't mind tossing some pixie dust my way and saying a few prayers, I would really appreciate it!

Just want to enjoy our wonderful trip to the happiest place on earth...

Then deal with this silliness when I return!!

Thanks to one and all....

Here we go again...
11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:
I hope every thing goes well...
Hopefully you will be able to get through your trip before you have to deal with this. It is amazing how Disney World takes your mind off of all your aches and pains. :mickey:

ibrowse17
11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
:tink::pixie::pixie::wishes:
Keep your happy thought and have a great trip:thumbsup:

LibertyTreeGal
11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Gosh, I'm praying, sorry you are going through this :(

bleukarma
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Here is some pixie dust in hopes that you have an enjoyable vacation! :pixie:
Last year I had gallstones and I had my gallbladder removed. While your on vacation try to stay away from spicey and greasy foods, it might cause a flare up.
Good luck and have a happy trip!

mousetrapper
11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
OH, thanks so much, everyone! You all have made me feel better already.

I am counting on the magic of WDW to take away some of the pain.

bleukarma, thank you for your advice. I'll try my best to avoid those types of foods.

RedheadWriter
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
:pixie: Sending LOADS of pixie dust!
I had my gallbladder out laproscopically in 2002. Heed the advice about fatty, greasy and spicy foods to help control any problems. I lived on plain rice cakes and fat free cheese for 2 months before my gallbladder came out in pursuit of no flare ups. It's no fun and I feel for you.
Let us know how it all works out for you after the ultrasound. :hug:
Rachel

DizNee143
11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
oh my...i hope everything is ok and your vacation wont be affected by it!! and i really hope you wake up tomorrow feeling perfectly fine again!! please let us know how things go!!!
pixie dust is on the way!!

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

wilcat
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
I went thru the same thing. Don't worry I held off having my gall bladder out for a couple of months. Sure the pain was intense at times but I wanted to get thru the Holidays before my surgery. I know any kind of excitement set mine off so I just had to keep myself lowed keyed. That will be hard for you since you are traveling to the greatest place on earth. Try to stay calm and here is a double dose of pixie dust :pixie::pixie: just for you.

mouseketeer mom
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh I'm sorry you even have to have this on your mind during your trip. Thats probably the worst part. You just want to go, have fun, be with your family without having to think about, well, things. Mind your diet and you should be fine for the trip. I wish you a healthy happy trip. We are leaving tomorrow!

mousetrapper
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh I'm sorry you even have to have this on your mind during your trip. Thats probably the worst part. You just want to go, have fun, be with your family without having to think about, well, things. Mind your diet and you should be fine for the trip. I wish you a healthy happy trip. We are leaving tomorrow!

We may see you there! We are leaving Sat. 11/17 and are also staying at the Poly (I think that's where you're staying?).

We're a family of four: tall, bald (but devastatingly handsome) DH and two gorgeous DDs, one with beautiful long red hair and the other with very dark hair!

I hope you have a wonderful trip too.

And thanks again to everyone for all the kind words, thoughts and prayers. I wish I didn't love food so much...it'll be tough avoiding all the goodies (AND we're on the dining plan!)...:blush: But there are so many choices I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding good things to eat.

mickey&missy
11-14-2007, 07:26 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

I hope you feel better!!!!!!

If it is your gallbladder try very hard not to eat anything to rich or greasy and drink gallons and gallons of water!!!!!

Good luck!! Have magical vacation!!!

MsMin
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Sending fat free :pixie: I hope you are not on the dining plan. I would hate to see you trying to eat all those heavy meals with an inflamed gall bladder. Hope the docs can give you some helpful advice and maybe some meds to help. It's not fun to be miserable even if it is the happiest place on earth. :pixie: :pixie:

TikiGoddess
11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Best of luck with your trip!! Hopefully the magic of Disney will soothe your woes away... :pixie:

TikiG

mouseketeer mom
11-14-2007, 08:46 PM
We may see you there! We are leaving Sat. 11/17 and are also staying at the Poly (I think that's where you're staying?).

We're a family of four: tall, bald (but devastatingly handsome) DH and two gorgeous DDs, one with beautiful long red hair and the other with very dark hair!

I hope you have a wonderful trip too.

And thanks again to everyone for all the kind words, thoughts and prayers. I wish I didn't love food so much...it'll be tough avoiding all the goodies (AND we're on the dining plan!)...:blush: But there are so many choices I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding good things to eat.

Mousetrapper! Yes! We are arriving at the CR tomorrow for the first part of our trip, then moving to the Poly! I will look for the long red hair. My 11 yo DD has long (to her ummm..hiney) curly, curly, curly, brown hair, and my DS has longish (for a boy) curly, curly, curly dark hair. My other DD is wavy and dark blonde. Lets look for the hair! Or not the hair! (If I look for your handsome DH!!)
Yeah, It is tough avoiding the food. I don't think theres anything I like about having to avoid the food..but, you know, you may have different news after your test on Friday. You never know. So don't have a game plan yet! Maybe it will be better than you think.:)

Beast_fanatic
11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
:pixie: on the way!

Bethanymouse
11-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Lots of pixie dust heading your way from cold new jersey! I hope you start to feel better soon. My mom had some gall bladder problems last spring and found that if she avioded certain food she was less likely to get sick. Enjoy your trip and feel better!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Lots of good thoughts and :pixie: coming your way.

I had my gallbladder removed back in 2000. You got lots of great tips. Especially the drink lots of water and avoid greasy/fatty foods. I still have to do that even now. One thing that was always an issue for me was dairy, especially ice cream.

mttafire
11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Hope you feel better, there is nothing worse than an illness right before a vacation:ill: Just always stay positive and you'll be fine.
shawn

Tink#64
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
:pixie:

Pixie and prayers for you! I sure hope that you are ok for your trip!

Good luck to you.:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
11-15-2007, 03:03 AM
Good luck!!

I would have numbers of some docs and insurance information with you, JUST IN CASE! As much as we want and pray for a "non eventful" trip, it wouldn't hurt to be prepared for a flareup.

There is a walk in minor emergency clinic not far from The Crossroads shopping center, so that might be something to look into. The front desk of your hotel should have all the numbers and information you need. You may want to contact your insurance company to let them know you will be out of town.

I hope you don't need any of the help I just gave you. Make sure you get to the dr ASAP when you get back. Don't try to "ride it out" if it gets bad, even though you may want to. Rest often, and do as others have said, watch what you eat.

Here's some :pixie: for you, your gallbladder, and your trip!

mrsgaribaldi
11-15-2007, 06:13 AM
While your on vacation try to stay away from spicey and greasy foods, it might cause a flare up.
Good luck and have a happy trip!

Good advice:thumbsup: Lots of times people have flareups but it doesn't mean you need to have it removed right away. My mom went for years before she had hers taken out.
I know it's a bummer to have to watch what you eat when you're on vacation but that's really what you have to do. Good luck. I hope you have a great trip too:pixie::pixie::pixie:

d_m_n_n
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Tons of :pixie: to you! I appreciate how you feel, and I have a word of advice. Don't delay having it removed if necessary!!! I went through months thinking I was having heartburn, etc. and all along it was my gallbladder. After it was removed, I remembered what it actually felt like to feel good again!!

Oh, and I had mine removed 3 days before we left for Disney! I was on the mountains before the end of the week and feeling (tired, but) GREAT!!! Recovery time is very short!

biodtl
11-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I've been there - I wish you the best for your vacation.

In addition to the great advice about fatty, spicy foods and water, I'd suggest having a plan for what to do if you aren't feeling well. Resting, heading back to the hotel, having medicine on hand (if there's anything that helps you - for me it was pain meds - I had terrible pain).

Other foods to avoid are those with lots of nuts and seeds. They aren't a problem for everyone, but can cause problems for some. Better safe than sorry.

mousetrapper
11-16-2007, 08:09 AM
All such great advice! And the kindness here really is touching. I so appreciate it.:mickey:

It's funny how your body kind of tells you what to do...I can't "stomach" the idea of eating heavy, greasy foods etc. I just regret not being able to enjoy all those wonderful foods while I'm in WDW (and yes, I am on the dining plan!).

Thanks to all again. I go for my ultrasound today, and we leave for WDW tomorrow morning. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-16-2007, 11:30 PM
I hope everything works out ok and you get to enjoy your trip to the fullest. Let us know the prognosis.

AbeeNormal
11-17-2007, 02:13 PM
My heart goes out to you. :heart:

Here's to a wonderful trip :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Feel better soon ;)

Grumpy's Daughter
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm another person who had their gallbladder removed- after a particularly greasy eating plan around the World. DH and I got married in 1995, and I had been on a strict, low-fat, high protein diet. But on my honeymoon at DW, I let loose. I kept feeling these pains, and I thought that they were panic attacks- or too much food. But 6 months later, the doctor told me that my gallbladder and the stones were infected, so it had to come out!

Plan on eating low-fat while there, and as everyone else is saying, drink plenty of water. There is no reason that this should deter you from having a good time. Plus, you'll have a more exact diagnosis before you leave (which I didn't have!)

pdrlkr
11-20-2007, 05:45 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

DisneyorBust
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Pixie dust and especially prayers coming your way. Hope that your trip goes well!

mousetrapper
11-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks to everyone! All of your pixie dust and prayers must have helped, because by the second day of my trip I was feeling almost back to normal! Unbelievable. I actually enjoyed the dining plan to the fullest -- almost too much -- and a few times felt stuffed, but never had a flare-up or severe pain.

My doctor called about mid-way through my trip to say the ultrasound indicated no gallstones. He wants me to take a Pepcid every day (that name always reminds me of Yensid for some reason!:mickey:) and said if I have any further problems, I may need to have a GI series (ugh) to see if there's an ulcer, diverticulitis or some other gastro issue. Strange, because I really felt the pain in my right side, just under my ribs, so I thought for sure it was the ol' gallbladder...

My doc never mentioned the test to measure function of the gallbladder - my friend said she had been having similar symptoms and like me, didn't have gallstones but her doc performed the function test and her gallbladder was malfunctioning so she did have to get it removed. I may ask my doctor about that...

Anyway, I really do think that the combination of your good wishes and Disney magic helped me have a wonderful vacation! Thanks again!!:thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Strange, because I really felt the pain in my right side, just under my ribs, so I thought for sure it was the ol' gallbladder...

My doc never mentioned the test to measure function of the gallbladder - my friend said she had been having similar symptoms and like me, didn't have gallstones but her doc performed the function test and her gallbladder was malfunctioning so she did have to get it removed. I may ask my doctor about that...

Anyway, I really do think that the combination of your good wishes and Disney magic helped me have a wonderful vacation! Thanks again!!:thumbsup:

I had that test. It is called a Hida Scan. I am not sure if anyone else mentioned the name of it. It basically puts you into an attack that you would have if your gallbladder is not functioning. Mine was not functioning at all. It was weird laying there feeling fine and then as soon as they put in the medicine it brought on the same feelings I would have after I ate. Very conclusive.
I also did not have any gall stones. Once my gallbladder was out I was much better. I still gets attacks after some foods but, no where near as many as I did with my gall bladder.
I would definately mention the Hida scan to your Dr if your symptoms persist. Pepcid was great for me for awhile but even that stopped working.
I am glad you had such a great trip!!

bleukarma
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks to everyone! All of your pixie dust and prayers must have helped, because by the second day of my trip I was feeling almost back to normal! Unbelievable. I actually enjoyed the dining plan to the fullest -- almost too much -- and a few times felt stuffed, but never had a flare-up or severe pain.

My doctor called about mid-way through my trip to say the ultrasound indicated no gallstones. He wants me to take a Pepcid every day (that name always reminds me of Yensid for some reason!:mickey:) and said if I have any further problems, I may need to have a GI series (ugh) to see if there's an ulcer, diverticulitis or some other gastro issue. Strange, because I really felt the pain in my right side, just under my ribs, so I thought for sure it was the ol' gallbladder...

I'm so happy to hear that you had a great trip and you still got to enjoy good foods!!!

As someone else mentioned, the test your friend is talking about is a Hida Scan. I had that before I had my gallbladder taken out. I had gallstones and the Hida Scan showed that my gallbladder was only working at 13%. It might be a test to mention to your doc. The worst feeling is feeling uncomfortable after you eat. If you continue to have issues in the future then I would talk to your docs about further tests. In the meantime, keep the Pepcid close! Good luck!

cknorr28
11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
:mickey:
Glad to hear things went well on your vacation.

azdisneymom
11-28-2007, 09:52 AM
:pixie: Sending you a bit of extra pixie dust now that you are home. Hope everything goes well for you through the upcoming medical procedures!

EPCOT84
11-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Wonderful to read and a little bit more :pixie: for you.