PDA

View Full Version : Wdw College Program

AnnieBananie
11-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Not sure where to post this, but......our daughter has been accepted into the WDW College Program. Our family is really excited!! She will be starting in January '08. Anyone else been involved in this program - either as a cast member OR parents of one? We would love some feedback regarding your experiences.....thanks!!:cloud9::cloud9:

*Liz*
11-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I did the CP from Aug 06 - May 07. I was in the Costuming department and mostly in charge of lighting up Mickey every night for Spectro. ;) How many people can say that? :) It had its ups & downs, mostly ups. I made some great friends who I still keep in touch with plus the benefits were fantastic! :coaster: What role was she given?

joanna71985
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Not sure where to post this, but......our daughter has been accepted into the WDW College Program. Our family is really excited!! She will be starting in January '08. Anyone else been involved in this program - either as a cast member OR parents of one? We would love some feedback regarding your experiences.....thanks!!:cloud9::cloud9:

Congrats to her! I have done 3 CPs myself, and have had such good times. The CP is awsome, and is such a good experience. I hope to go back down in May myself. What role did she get?

AnnieBananie
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
She was assigned Merchandising. She's an Education major in college, but has some experience in a large store. Thanks for the replies......

MartyS
11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
My DD is down there now. She's been having a great time, made lots of new friends. I'm flying out there Jan 4 to drive home with her(over protective Dad). Talked to her last night, they wanted her to extend until April, but she wants to finish school, she's a senior at Hardin Simmons Univ. in Abilene, Texas, and then possibly apply for a professional internship of some sort at Disney. All in all, it seems to have been a positive experience, except for an acute lack of good Mexican food out there.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Being a CP has it's pros and cons - I found it to be pretty much a typical college experience.

Pros:

Working at Disney
Good Benefits (parks, food and merchandise)
Cheap Housing ($70-100/wk)
Good Location
Utilities provided
All cooking plates and utensils included
Secured Gates
Free Transporation to Work (and some other areas)
Potentially Good Friends

Cons:

Working at Disney
Long Hours
Minimum Wage
No REAL benefits (health, 401K, stock, etc)
Living with another person in the same room
Small Rooms
Expensive Laundry
Lots of parties/underage drinking (A LOT)
Lots of noise (first floor from second, pools)
Some roommates have never left home (meaning messy)

I think it's a good learning experience to decide if this is something she wants to do as a career, which is what I used it for. You can certainly meet a lot of people, but out of the 8 people I lived with...I only still talk to the one that lives 10 minutes from me. The rest I didn't care for (mostly for reasons listed in the Cons section...except there was no underage drinking...just excessive and many nights they were sick).

I personally enjoyed my CP experience for the most part...but I know a lot of people who left as soon as they got there. I don't know your daughter, but there are a lot of strict rules that almost always results in instant termination and I've known people who have been (too many call-ins, underage drinking/drugs, stealing, fighting). Obviously, I liked working for Disney enough to stay long after my program (and hopefully, far enough into the future) and I love it more now than I did then.

Wish her luck and hope she enjoys working here!

AnnieBananie
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Jessica and others.....

DD has always loved Disney. Last year she was there 3 times - once on her own. She is very comfortable there and realistic about the "job" aspect. The thing that worries me a little, is that she expects a lot of herself and sometimes gets frustrated at roommies and friends who are slackers, etc. So.....a room-mate that is sloppy, a partier and/or excessive drinker will cause her some concern and frustration. Hopefully, she will be around other cast members who are sincere and determined to do a good job and who like to obey the "rules".

I'm really excited that my DH, DS and I will get to go visit with her several times....can't wait to check out discounts that she is able to get us on our hotels and I bet we'll be buying tickets to get into the parks as 6 days won't be enough for us!!!! (do any of you know if there is a discount on extra resort-hoppers for us when we use up the days allotted?)

Lttlminnie98
11-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Congratulations to your daughter! I participated in the college program three times - began at Disney MGM as an attractions hostess at the Backlot Tour, then went into entertainment for two summers working at Animal Kingdom and then at Magic Kingdom in character dining and Main Street Electrical Light Parade (more affectionately known as ELP). I absolutely LOVED my experience! I can't imagine ever having another job like that one - almost ten years later, I'm still in touch with friends I made, still recalling memories with them. And to be honest, having the Disney name on my resume has definitely opened doors into huge companies that I've worked for, including my current job with Marriott. It'll be a conversation piece for your daughter for the rest of her life, and any path she takes, she's bound to find someone who participated in the program as well - an instant connection and ice breaker. I wish her all the best, she'll have an amazing time and you'll find she just may want to continue going back during her summers.:mickey:

joanna71985
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
She was assigned Merchandising. She's an Education major in college, but has some experience in a large store. Thanks for the replies......

Ooo, merchandise is fun. That's what I did on my first CP.

Lacy
11-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Being a CP has it's pros and cons - I found it to be pretty much a typical college experience.

Pros:

Working at Disney
Good Location
Utilities provided
Secured Gates
Potentially Good Friends

Cons:

Working at Disney
Long Hours
Minimum Wage
Small Rooms
Expensive Laundry

This is the best summary of the college program I've seen. I really couldn't sum it up better than this. She will have great days on the college program and some not so great days. It will be a growing/learning experience and I know that as a huge Disney fan I would have regretted not doing the program.

Rosanne
11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Great news for your daughter (And for you- visiting at 50% off)! Anyway, I did the CP in the Fall of 2004 and it was by far the greatest experience of my life. I worked in operations at Space Mountain, but I knew many people in merchandice and they loved it.

If she loves Disney, she will love the program. But tell her what she will get out of the program will depend on what she will put in it.

I LOVE my college program friends. I have vistors from all over the country all the time. We keep in touch because we shared a wondeful experience together.

Pros:

Working at Disney
Good Location
Utilities provided
Secured Gates
Potentially Good Friends

Cons:

Working at Disney
Long Hours
Minimum Wage
Small Rooms
Expensive Laundry

I just had some comments about the Jessica's list. I thought it was fair, but I differ on some opinions.

I thought that work was so much fun- but that really does differ by role.

As for long hours, minimum wage, and no benefits-- I've done many, many internships. Most of which do not pay ANYTHING (such is the nature of internships). The fact that I was receiving SOME income was good enough for me. Internships are meant to boost a resume, not a bank account.

As for the party/noise- it's not much different from the college experience. Also, I lived in Chatham, and I never ever saw much underage drinking (Not on Disney property anyway).

If she has any questions, just message me and I'll be happy to answer.

Best of luck!

DisneyCrazyET
11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
DS is working at the WDW. He is having a great experience most of the time. He usually works 6 days at a time and usually evening shift. Sometimes he is there until 2:00am.
He is living at Chatham and likes it and his roommates.
Somethimes he hangs out at the parks with people he has met through the CP program and CPs' he works with.
He likes to call to tell me where his is a the moment. The other night he was watching fireworks at the MK. Today he called to say how warm it is. (It will in the 40's here tomorrow) This is his first time away.
He attended a local art school.
I think it's great.:thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
11-14-2007, 10:33 PM
:congrats: to your daughter! :yay: