PDA

View Full Version : How best to discuss to join or not to join

dlpmikki
11-12-2007, 01:38 PM
We originally set these two posts (Why to Join DVC / Why not to join DVC) up as seperate topics because of the way discussion had been going back and forth endlessly. I do agree that this problem is now happening with these topics, particularly the why not to one. I have emailed my fellow DVC moderators suggesting that we now close these threads for further discussion and open up one new one along the lines suggested by DVC Mike of "Why DVC does or doesn't make sense for me".

Whatever we do it is not going to help anyone in their decision making if people on both sides of the discussion keep coming back and reiterating their same points in a slightly different way. There are valid viewpoints for both sides and the aims of these topics is to help people who have not yet decided what is best for them. If we muddy the waters with elongated yes it is no it isn't type comments that won't happen.

Do you want to stay as we are or would you prefer a joint topic? Which is likely to be most helpful for people wanting information to help them decide for themselves?

Maleficent's Dad
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Mikki,
Although good in theory, the way the topics are set up now make it tough to "stay on task." People often want to counter what someone else says. It's just human nature.

However, if you do have a "joint topic" thread, you're sure to get some, shall we say, interesting discussion...;)

I vote for a new, 'joint' thread. :thumbsup:

Oh - and thank you for all you do as a mod! :mickey:

DVC Mike
11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I vote for a joint "Why DVC does or doesn't make sense for me" thread.

DVC makes good sense for some people and would be a bad choice for others. It would be great if we could discuss the pros and cons that one should consider.

I hope the moderators would help us all maintain a civil tone. We all like going to WDW, so we share that, despite that fact that we may not come to the same decision regarding DVC.

disneycouple2004
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Great idea...i vote for new thread also..:thumbsup:

Ian
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
IMO, having one side of the conversation independent of the other is counterproductive to a degree. You tend to get all one-sided viewpoints such that, by the time you're done reading the "Why not ... " thread you'd never consider joining DVC and if you then went and ready the "Why ... " thread you'd be on the phone with a DVC Sales Rep the minute you finished.

To me, you've got to have the back and forth in order to get both sides out there in a fair and somewhat balanced way. I don't see any inherent problems with a two-sided discussion, debate, etc. as long as it doesn't degenerate into flaming.

Point-by-point discussion on both sides is where you get the most valuable information.

Ed
11-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I agree with Ian 100%. :thumbsup:

More like a face-to-face discussion of the pros and cons, and much easier to follow.

Tinkermom
11-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I am not sure either is very productive. Why can't we just leave the 2 "sticky's" as closed threads? I think if one were to read through those they would hear just about every argument both for and against DVC. I do pop in every now and then just to see what is up and find myself frustrated to see the same thing being said over and over again. It is as you stated Mikki, people are giving the same opinions, just perhaps with a different twist.

I guess I am just afraid that if we start a thread of "Why DVC does or doesn't make sense for me" the arguing will just go on and on. From what I have read those who are posting in these types of threads have already made up their minds as to whether DVC is "worth it" or not. The people who are truly seeking answers about DVC start their own threads asking specific questions in order to become informed before deciding whether DVC is right for them or not.

JPL
11-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I feel this is a very personal individual decision so everyone will have their viewpoints and the considerations will be different on a case by case basis. So having general threads is counter productive for someone trying to make a decision.
I mean for me buying resale was a quick easy way to jump in and lets me add points when my finances permit and yet still covers my average time at WDW of 2-3 short trips per year. So it made sense for me to upgrade my accomadations for about the same price I was paying to stay at A Value Resort.
I think letting individuals air their concerns will be extremely helpful to the poster. It will also allow a a personalized picture of their vacation habits and needs.

Horizon93
11-12-2007, 11:43 PM
I vote for a joint thread. I think that the back and forth will make much more sense as long as we are not constantly repeating the same thing over and over.

DVC is perfect for DW and me, but is not right for everyone. It was not right for us 5 years ago.

dlpmikki
11-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I am going to close the existing two threads and open up a new joint one. I will be keeping a close and firm eye on it!

If someone has a specific question about their own circumstances and want to get other folks views they can still continue to post seperate threads.