PDA

View Full Version : Where to see animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Alpha Jeanie
11-10-2007, 10:51 PM
My husband & I were at Animal Kingdom Lodge last month for breakfast at Boma at 7:30. We went early to try to get a peek at some animals on the property. We were very disappointed that we did not see ANY animals except the birds that are in a small fenced-in area behind the pool. We walked outside beyond the pool and to the left of the pool area and did not see any animal activity. We also looked out of the "lookout" balcony from the lobby and did not see any animals. Were we just there at the wrong time or did we miss any other viewing spots that maybe had more action? Please let us know where to stand to spot the most animals. We realize that the animal activity varies everyday and depends on the time of day also. We were wondering if the construction at the hotel keeps the animals further back than normal. We will be back there in May with the family to eat dinner at Boma and hope to see more animals then.

Thanks for any info.

WheresWalt
11-11-2007, 02:06 AM
They change the feeding spots throughout the week. It is kind of one of those things where they might be there one day and not the next. Besides the big viewing areas at Arusha Rock, there are viewing spots all over the resort including down the room corridors. I would just walk around and you are sure to spot somebody munching away.

TooGoofy
11-11-2007, 07:45 AM
We've had extraordinarily good luck with seeing animals at AKL. I would say that when you were there the animals may have been taken in for their vet checks. Did you look for animals before or after breakfast?

As to viewing spots, Arusha rock is usually great. (When we were there in July we saw a very naughty Bongo who jumped the barrier and was grazing right next to Arusha rock. We could have reached out and touched him!)

Another great spot is right off the lobby. Head to the back of the lobby like you would be going to Arusha rock. Take a left just after the big ijele mask and head up the Kudu trail. A little way up that trail, there is a window that looks out on to the savanna. When we were there in July, we always saw two or three giraffe there at feeding time. (If you pm me with your email address, I can send you a picture).

But just take your time and walk around the resort before or after your dinner. You are sure to see plenty of animals during that time.

rnin02
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Another great spot is right off the lobby. Head to the back of the lobby like you would be going to Arusha rock. Take a left just after the big ijele mask and head up the Kudu trail. A little way up that trail, there is a window that looks out on to the savanna. When we were there in July, we always saw two or three giraffe there at feeding time. (If you pm me with your email address, I can send you a picture).

If you keep going down this hallway, you come to a fire exit type staircase, that appears to be guest accessible. At least, we didn't get in any trouble or see any signs saying "No";) Anyway, we got awesome pictures and great animal views from this outdoor staircase. That was in 9/06, so I'm not sure if construction would have affected it at all...but those were the best views! Going out by the pool we didn't seen much of anything (besides some birds). And we had some good views from Arusha Rock. But the best were from that fire exit on the Kudo Trail.

BugeyedMuggy
11-13-2007, 05:48 AM
We were there late Sept. this year and as it was our first time staying at this resort I cannot say if the construction had an impact on how many animals are around but we saw so many and all the time. At night we used the night gogle vision to see them. If you go back again and cannot find any animals ask a CM as they were very friendly to us and I'm sure they would be more than happy to show you the best place at that time to see them.

princessM0m
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
We stayed there a little over a week ago and we did not see many animals in the morning. We saw them more in the afternoon and evening. It's always good to walk around as much as you can to find the different viewing spots. Animals, like people, have their daytime habits, too.

Stickey
11-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Animal activity varies. It often depends on the feeding times.

In September, there was less animal activity due to the DVC construction. A CM told us that the animals were not pleased with the change to new barns. Hopefully, the animals have adjusted to the new changes by now.

sneezyone
11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Can you see the animals from your room/any rooms, if so which ones?

I want to stay there next fall for my 10th anniversary and that would be awesome!

rnin02
11-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Usually the savannah overlook rooms offer views of animals. But you those rooms are more expensive then standard view.

#1disneyfan
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
We stayed at AKL last June (2006) and we had a room on the Zebra Trail, 4th Floor, Savannah view and we saw lots of animals in the morning. We sat on the balcony every morning while taking turns getting ready. It was wonderful watching the giraffes and zebras grazing. We also saw the animals using night vision goggles in an area behind the pool (very cool).