PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin a Disney hotel?

handmaidenofprincesses
11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm going to a conference in June at the Dolphin and I'm wondering if it's true that it's no longer a Disney resort? I know it's called the Walt Disney World Dolphin, but my mom is down there now and they were unable to get Magic Express. She said the girl who made their reservations told them it was no longer Disney-owned.... I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a ride from the airport to the hotel or if I'll have to call a cab. I really don't want to call a cab.... I live in Smalltown USA, I've never even rdden in a cab :( Yes, I know I'm a chicken, c'est la vie. I'm too young to rent a car too... hmm...

Seasonscraps
11-11-2007, 02:48 AM
The Dolphin is not part of the Disney Resort system. You get some perks like onsite transportation and extra magic hours. But magical express and options like the dining plan are not available to guests of the Dolphin (and Swan).

Taking a cab/car service is a piece of cake. Happy Limo (an Intercot sponsor) allows you to reserve the car in advance so they are there to pick you up when you get off the plane and bring you back to the airport at the end of the trip.

I am sure there are other shuttle bus services available as well.

DizneyRox
11-11-2007, 08:31 AM
The Swan and the Dolphin have never been a Disney owned and operated resort. This is nothing new, and ME is one of the "perks" reserved specifically for those staying at Disney owned and operated resorts.

Happy Limo (an Intercot sponsor) allows you to reserve the car in advance so they are there to pick you up when you get off the plane and bring you back to the airport at the end of the trip.
Happy Limo is no longer a sponsor.

Piglet822
11-11-2007, 09:10 AM
As DisneyRox stated, the Swan and Dolphin were never owned by Disney.
You can utilize Mears Transportation (www.mearstransportation.com) from the airport to the Dolphin, or Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/), Intercot's new transportation sponsor.

handmaidenofprincesses
11-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks for your help! Now I'm wondering if there is an easy way to go from one resort to another... i'm not so sure I can afford a room at the dolphin, but I don't know how else I'd get there from another hotel for the conference.....

Speedy1998
11-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for your help! Now I'm wondering if there is an easy way to go from one resort to another... i'm not so sure I can afford a room at the dolphin, but I don't know how else I'd get there from another hotel for the conference.....

Not sure what your profession is, but you may want to check, the Swan and Dolphin often have discounts for service type professions (teacher, nurses, police, and firefighters).

DizneyRox
11-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Rental car is the easiest way between resorts on an ongoing basis. There is no real direct resort to resort transportation. You MAY be able to take advantage of some resorts that share busses, BUT, the Dolphin shares with Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk. If $$ in a problem, those resorts are probably out of the question as well. You could actually walk from all of those to another in less time than a bus or car anyway.

handmaidenofprincesses
11-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Fabulous ideas, but a) I have no profession (i'm a college student- which is why I can barely afford a value, let alone the dolphin) and b) I'm too young to rent a car. Any other brillant ideas??

BronxTigger
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Before DME existed, we took a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and back. The cost was around $20/person each way (not sure what it is now). You can pre-pay/reserve or you can go up to the counter when you arrive at the airport. You have to schedule the return in advance. They will stop at whatever hotels the people in the van are staying at so you could be first or you could be 8th (or whatever).

As for getting around WDW, you can stay at a value and use the Disney transportation. If you have to be there pretty early, you can take the first bus of the day to MGM and walk (or take the little boat) from there without entering the park. From the bus stop at MGM, instead of heading left into the park, head right towards the boat that goes to the Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC, and Boardwalk (in that order).

If the buses aren't early enough or you are running late, you can get a cab at the resort. Ask a CM if you have questions and just make sure you have cash with you. Give a couple of dollars tip on top of the fare.

You'll have a great time! Don't let the transportation issues make you anxious.

Piglet822
11-11-2007, 11:14 PM
What kind of conference will you be attending? For which company, and what hotel is it at?
The reason I ask all the questions is that large companies that have attendees at multiple hotels usually arrange to have a shuttle for those not staying at the host hotel.

handmaidenofprincesses
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
What kind of conference will you be attending? For which company, and what hotel is it at?
The reason I ask all the questions is that large companies that have attendees at multiple hotels usually arrange to have a shuttle for those not staying at the host hotel.

The conference is called "The Young and the Motivated." It's not really based off a company.. I mean, it's not for work or anything. It's run by Mercer. It's to teach college students how to get ahead in life and w/e. i won a tuition scholarship, but i have to pay for the hotel and airfare.

bleukarma
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Since your worried about cost you could get a value resort and use ME to take you there from the airport and then take a bus to MGM and walk or take a boat to the Dolphin.
Good luck and congrats on the scholorship! :mickey:

KylesMom
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Any other brillant ideas??

Yep, Bleukarma has one!

Since your worried about cost you could get a value resort and use ME to take you there from the airport and then take a bus to MGM and walk or take a boat to the Dolphin.
Good advice, Bleukarma.

I believe POP is the closest value resort to Disney's Dolphin Resort. This would allow you to book a room for an affordable cost, have transportation to/from MCO and allow you to get to the Dolphin in time for the conference start at the beginning of the day - without paying for extraneous transport. Congrats! :mickey: