PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions-staying on ocean 2 nites first

amball
11-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Does anyone have some suggestions. We are going to Florida in June 2008 and I wanted to take my 3 children, 11, 9, 7 and husband to stay on the ocean for the first 2 nites than we are going to the Poly at WDW for the last 4 nites. What are some options of where to stay that is not too far from WDW or Orlando?? My husband and children have never been to Florida and I want it to be special. We were thinking Treasure Island. Any Ideas? Thank you all for your advice.

TheMartellFamily
11-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Are you flying or driving to Florida from where you are from? Are you flying into Orlando and renting a car? Because Orlando is in the middle of the state it takes about the same amount of time to get to the ocean side or to the gulf side of the state. The gulf side you will have Tampa, St. Pete, and all it's surrounding area here, which is the closest to WDW. Then you have the ocean side which would consist of Daytona Beach, Port Canveral, Cocoa Beach, and other surrounding towns on this side of the state which are closest to WDW on this side. While both have great thing to offer for our family we love Daytona Beach. In Daytona Beach you are able to drive on the beach and find a parking spot. There is alot of new building going on so there is more nice things to choose from. We are not familular with that part of the gulf side so I can not recommend anything close to WDW. We have stayed in Ft. Meyers Beach and Destin on the gulf side all very nice but not close at all to WDW.

stephntampa
11-10-2007, 04:25 PM
On Treasure Island we have stayed at the Bilmar Beach resort. It is an old hotel, but we found it clean and comfortable. Personally I enjoy staying slightly further south (about 1 mile from Treasure Island) on St Petersburg beach, usually at the Don Cesar. It is a lovely hotel with an interesting history. "The Don" (as it is affectionately known as by the locals) also has a sister property called the Beach House Suites, with all rooms offering a full kitchen and overlooking the Gulf. Check out their website. Also on St Pete Beach is the Tradewinds hotel. Tradewinds has the Island Grand (my favorite) and the Sandpiper. Again, check out the website. The drive from the beaches to Disney is about an hour and a half. Sorry for the long post.. good luck!:mickey:

eeyoremom
11-10-2007, 09:49 PM
We have stayed several times at the Holiday Inn in New Smyrna Beach-just south of Daytona. You can find it right on the Holiday Inn website. You would need a car to get there from WDW. We love it. The hotel is very nice. It's all suites with 2 tv's, couch, fridge , etc. Every room looks right out at the water. We have often watched dolphins right from the room. The area is also fun. Not too busy, but close enough to Daytona. We also love driving on the beach. Have fun!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
11-11-2007, 09:21 PM
The Don is really nice as Steph said. Lot of history there.

Like everyone has pretty much said, WDW is kinda smack in the middle of the state. Clearwater is a fun town and there are a lot of hotel options there. Daytona and Cocoa Beach are the same as far as options go. Waves are bigger on the ocean side and it is a bit deeper. Gulf side has slightly smaller waves and it stays shallower for longer. Gulf side has lots of dolphins and sting rays too ("STING RAY SHUFFLE!!! :o)...).