PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews Suggestion

tennantsrwe
11-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey everyone!
I sent an email earlier this week to Intercot regarding a suggestion I have for a new way to review dining on the site. Thought I'd pass along my idea and see if others think this could help. I think it would be very nice, and user friendly, if there was a way for users to rate WDW and DTD eateries on a 5 star scale and leave a breif comment regarding their experience. Also, the 'overall' rating for the resturant would be displayed, and regularly updated, based on its patron's reviews. I think this would help a lot of people, me included, on making ADR and dining decisions. As it is now we have to post a resturant specific question and wait for responses, maybe this rating system could simplify the process. Anyway, if anyone out there thinks this might be an asset to the site PLEASE email Intercot Guest Relations and pass along your support. I did recieve a response and my suggestion is being passed on to managment. Maybe if enough people express interest this could be added. Thanks! :mickey:

GrumpyFan
11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I didn't vote because I'm not sure how this would work. I do think it's a good idea though. If something like this were implemented, it would need to include more than just a basic 5 star scale. I'm thinking something like three or four different rating scales for each restaurant, plus comments.

So, you might have the following:

Food Quality/Taste
Service - this could include timeliness, attention to detail, etc.
Atmosphere
Price
Overall ratingIn general, restaurant reviews are very subjective. In a given day/visit to a restaurant, there are many factors that could affect one's experience. There is the server, the chef, the food and even the diner's mood can all affect a review. As a rule of thumb, if we have a bad experience with a restaurant, at Disney or in the real world, we will usually wait a while and give them another chance. Another thing to keep in mind with restaurants at WDW is the head chefs, frequently move or are changed out. So, if you didn't like it a year ago, there's a chance that this year it could've changed.

scoot241
11-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm always for having more information. Sounds like a great idea.

LibertyTreeGal
11-10-2007, 02:02 PM
There is another site that does this already, and I don't really see the need to take up more space/bandwidth around here.

I don't know, I just feel lukewarm about the whole thing -- maybe because it eliminates the bit where we are all just people talking to people about specifics. We can find ratings in The Unofficial Guide and on other sites.

If you have contacted the powers that be around here then just let it go at that, no need to get others on the bandwagon. They need to implement and staff any new additions, so I figure the choice should be theirs entirely.

tarheelmjfan
11-10-2007, 03:10 PM
No offense, but I personally don't find that type of rating system useful. We like to choose our dining locations based on quality. Atmosphere is also important. Quantity & value aren't stipulations we consider when choosing where to eat. User ratings are almost always based on perceived value making them no help to us.

Speaking of the Unofficial Guide, I usually find their reviews right on. However, the reader ratings are a different story. We go by what the UG team says, & ignore the other.

GrmGrninGost
11-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I can't see where it would hurt for folks who haven't been to a restaurant before to be able to see other peoples opinions. :mickey:

beksy
11-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I can see where this would be a good idea, especially for people who are short on time or just don't like to spend time planning (although it is hard for me, a compulsive planner, to imagine such a thing! :secret:). This is especially true if they don't take the time to use things like the UG. I like the way it is done now, too, though. It is much more personal and I think gives you better ideas of what to really expect. For me it's a toss-up!

LauraSAnne
11-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I would be interested in something like this, IF it were meal choice specific. You can find overall reviews on other sites and on the boards here, but what I generally find myself wanting to know is what specific menu choices are excellent (or not so excellent) at different restaurants. So take for instance, if I knew I wanted to eat at San Angel Inn, I'd like to see what specific meals from THAT restaurant people cared for and didn't care for, and why.

Right now I'm highly interested in what the Bento Box from Tokyo Dining entails and if it's good. It'd be nice to pull up a review about that restaurant and see what people had to say about it. Just my two cents.