PDA

View Full Version : 1st DLR Trip - by a WDW guy

Baloo Da Man!
11-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I had to go to a conference in Anaheim, so I chose to stay at the Grand Californian. I got to take DW but we had to ditch the kids with grandma.

Lodging: The GC is very nice and the location is perfect. With kids, however, I would choose the Disneyland Hotel. It has a great pool and good theming.

Food: We had great meals at Napa Rose and Catal (DTD). We also had a dinner at Blue Bayou, which had awesome atmosphere, but the food did not rise above "generally good." I had hoped for more, I guess.

On Sat. we woke up in Virginia Beach at 4:30 am EDT and took a 6:20 flight westward. We arrived at the hotel around 1:00 pm PDT, dropped off the bags and headed for DL. I had heard many opinions as to what to expect but decided to make my own impression.

We walked aimlessly for a bit, soaking in the park. Then we did some old WDW favorites (POTC, HM, Peter Pan, Buzz, Etc.). We had fun comparing and contrasting the parks. We were blown away, however, with Indiana Jones. What a great ride! Perhaps the best queueing theming I have seen. (DW made me mention that she beat me in Buzz.)

We skipped Nemo due to the very long lines. Snow White, IMHO, should be bulldozed to make way for Philharmagic. How has that ride lasted so long?

We shopped, snacked, and rode rides until after dark, then waited for the firewoks, which were outstanding. Tink was wonderful. By that time, we had been going for about 21 straight hours so we staggered back to the hotel and crashed.

On Sunday, we arrived at DL (a 5 minute walk from GC) before opening, stood at the rope and made a bee-line for Nemo ... along with a few thousand would-be runners with the same objective. We vowed not to run, but gave into the dark side after we power walked to the Matterhorn. Fortunately, this is where all the out-of-shape couch potatoes lose their lungs and start walking, we calmly jogged past the panting throng and entered the ropes with a mere ten minute wait ahead of us.

I liked Nemo. They used some of the same tech as in the Living Seas pavilion. They desparately need, however, a fastpass. Very slow loader - massive lines. We rode more rides, including Tiki Room, complete with Dole whip.

We went to DCA in the afternoon, which was quite empty. We walked right into TOT. I mean, right into the room that starts the ride. A little waiting in line can be a good thing. You get the thrill of anticipation and time to soak in the theming.

After a few days of work, we went back to DL on a very uncrowded Wed. We rode ride after ride with little or no wait. We did everything and most of it twice. SM and Soarin' were our favorites. Quite frankly, my 40 year old equilibrium ain't what it used to be, and we had to sit on the benches and sip cokes a few times, waiting for the ground to stop spinning. Fortunately, Small World was closed for renovations. Darn.

Shows:

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies is a great show. We also loved the Jedi Training Academy. I wish my DS6 could have been picked for that, though Darth would have had to wear "protection" against the little wildman. The HSM performance at DCA was very well done too. Unfortunately, we missed fantasmic due to fatigue on Sat. and a client dinner on Sun.

Unique to DLR:

We loved the Pirate theming on TSI, complete with a dead ringer for Capt. Jack Sparrow running around. Indiana Jones, as mentioned, is pure genius. We liked the Roger Rabbit and Monsters Inc. dark rides. Toontown was really well done. Matterhorn was OK too. Ariel's grotto was very pretty. And what's with the churro's every five feet?

I missed: TTA - one of my WDW favorites. Traditional HM - I guess I am just not a NMBC fan.

Bottom Line: WDW and DLR are different manifestations of a common magical theme. I just don't think in terms of a competitive comparison. I am a WDW guy, but I had a great time at DLR. If I am in So.Cal again, I'll drop by for some more magic.

ChipnDaleGal
11-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your expeirence with us. I am glad that a WDW Guy had fun at Disneyland. Also glad to hear that you enjoyed the Billys!! Yee Haw! :mickey:

NotaGeek
11-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the report! Glad to see you had a good time! :mickey:

SunnyLee
11-09-2007, 09:30 PM
That was a whole heck of a lot of initials!!! I had a hard time keeping up!! :) I went to DL last spring break..and honestly the only words that came from my mouth the whole time was: "it's so different...just so different"!!! I lived in Cali the first 8years of my life and remember bits of it...but I moved to Tampa in 2000 and have been a WDW gal ever since I first visited in '97..so when I first went back to DL last March it was overwhelming the differences to me. I do remember doing Captain EO though when I was a kid.

Sounds like you had a blast! Awesome! I'm jealous I still haven't been to DCA ...although I hear they are changing it up a bit...someday I'll get there! Course Disney Cruise comes first!!! HA!!! :mickey:

BklynChick
11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Eating a churro every five feet...sounds about right :D

Thanks for sharing!

tinkwest
11-10-2007, 10:26 AM
.......... We walked right into TOT. I mean, right into the room that starts the ride. A little waiting in line can be a good thing. You get the thrill of anticipation and time to soak in the theming....

I tend to agree with you on that point.

Glad you had a good time and fit in a lot of fun during your business trip.

sleepingbooty
11-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes! Churros every five feet - thats exactly what I've been missing at WDW!;)

2Epcot
11-20-2007, 11:44 AM
We were blown away, however, with Indiana Jones. What a great ride! Perhaps the best queueing theming I have seen.

I agree with Indiana Jones ... the queue has still kept my nephew from going on the ride after two visits ... very well done. I never get tired of watching Tink fly around the castle. Too bad you didn't get to see Disneyland's version of Fantasmic, but maybe next time.
Sounds like you had a great time, good report.