PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

pink
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey everyone. One of my high school teachers who was like a mentor to me passed away the other night and I plan on attending his funeral tomorrow. However, right after the funeral I have to go into work and the dress is casual. Would it be unapproriate for me to wear dark jeans and a button down black suit jacket, or is that not acceptable?

Thank you!:mickey:

MsMin
11-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I think that regular black pants would be better than black jeans but I would be more insulted if you wore bright colors. Usually dark colors or black is a sign of mourning and respect for the deceased. If you feel uncomfortable you can always say I'm sorry I'm dressed a little casual but I'm on my way to work and I'm sure they would appreciate that you bothered to stop by regardless of what you were wearing. I would but part depends on how comfortable you feel too? If you are already concerned then do what feels comfortable but again I think the color is more important. My sister's DH came to my grandmother's funeral in jeans and a flannel shirt and I thought he was under-dressed but it's family and we wanted him to be a pall bearer. If he had not been family I would have just been happy that he stopped by b/c showing up is the most important thing. :angel:

Magic Smiles
11-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I have been to too many funerals lately, and up here anything seems to go. To me what you are thinking about wearing seems fine. It is the paying of respect that counts, not your clothing. If you would feel better in dress pants, maybe you could take the casual pants and change after the funeral.

pink
11-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for you advice! I think I'm just going to change afterwards for work because I don't want to offend anyone. Thanks again.:mickey:

kakn7294
11-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Recently the dress code for funerals that I have attended has been on a rapid decline. It's not uncommon at all for people to attend wearing jeans and very casual shirts - and many times they are pretty ratty looking. I think your outfit would be fine but like Beth said, if you are a bit uncomfortable, wear the black dress pants and change before going to work. It's the fact that you are attending that really counts, not what you are wearing.