PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about kid's meals...

tyandskyesmom
11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
I know that most places have gone to a standard $7.49 set kid's menu where the appetizer, entree,desert, and drink are included. But between my two kids, they may not need that much food (two meals) and it is a huge possibility that they won't eat what is offered as an appetizer or at least won't need two of them. So, my question is...say we go to a place and Tyler gets a full kid's meal but the appetizer and the dessert are things he could share with his sister. And then Skye wants pasta as opposed to the chicken Tyler is getting. Can I just purchase the pasta at a charge less than the complete meal? Does that make sense?

SO what I mean is we order...

kid's meal to include a salad, chicken breast, ice cream, and a drink for $7.49.

and

a child sized pasta only for say $5.00????

Or will I have to pay the $7.49 even if she does not want to eat the other things?

And my other ponderances...

A lot of the kids meals come with a choice of two desserts but they are not necessarily what my kids would want. For example, LeCellier has the smores and chocolate mousse but neither is offered as a dessert on the kids menu. Or Kona has the kiddie cone but it is not offered as a kid's meal dessert. Do they allow substitutions?

And along those same lines...a lot of the set kids meals come with apples with brown sugar. My kids will not touch that. Will they substitute something else for that?

Any info you may have to offer woudl be greatly appreciated!

53 more days!!!

TBY2225
11-09-2007, 10:11 AM
The best thing to do is ask at each of the resturants. I found that every TS and some CS we went to was more than willing to help us. We were able to get "sides" and things ala carte and I have also heard from some others here on Intercot that not always is everything on the menu.Ask to speak to the chef if you can't get a good answer from your server. My DD was able most places to get fries as a side or appitizer and also ice cream as dessert instead of the listed dessert or side items. Hope this helps! Just remember it never hurts to ask!

sleepingbooty
11-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I actually found most restaurants to be much less flexible this year than the previous 3 trips we took with the dining plan. My older daughter was almost always disappointed with her lack of menu choices. I asked about substitutions many times and was told an unqualified 'no' at most CS places (I remember it for sure at Pinnochio Village Haus, Flame Tree BBQ, Pecos Bills and the foodcourt at our resort - POR), and some of the TS places as well. I even mentioned it to the cashier at Flame Tree and he agreed with me, he said they've really figured out how to keep costs under control and have done training to that effect. He said they use to allow substitutions, but no longer. We did have a good experience in this regard at Ohana, where the server brought a bowl of fruit and hot dogs for the girls when he saw they weren't enjoying the meal. You might still have some luck at the TS restaurants, but its pretty much a no-go at CS.

magicofdisney
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
It's also been our experience that CS are less flexible but TS more so. My kids almost always could get ice cream for desert, even if it wasn't an option on the TS menu. I'm sure you can purchase a la carte at TS. We never had a need to but I can't imagine them turning you down. Let us know how it goes so we'll have a reference for future inquirers. :mickey: