PDA

View Full Version : annual passes and dining plan

kimommy63
11-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Okay,
I'm trying to convince my dh that annual passes is the way to go. Of course, this is mostly my sneaky way of trying to get two trips out of him in one year.:plot:..Anyways, my question is: can you still add on the dining plan if you have an annual pass as long as you are staying on disney property when you visit? If he can't get the DDP I think my chances will be up in smoke!:cry: Well, better go get Tyler ready for the bus:bus: and start my laundry.:laundry: I'll check here in a little while for a (good) response. See ya:rocks:

DDuck66
11-09-2007, 08:17 AM
In order to get the DDP, you have to purchase the entire package (including tickets). But before I dash all your hopes, have you looked at the new DDP. It is not as nice as it use to be. It does not include an appetizer and gratuity is no longer included as well. There is a way that you can purchase a one day pass and still get the DDP, but I am not sure of the details. I am sure someone will come along and be able to explain it to you.

pennsy22
11-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Sorry to say this but no, you can't get DDP if your using AP's.:( However, there is a Dining Discount card that you can buy for about $75 a year that will get you a 20% discount at almost all of the sit down restaurants and the food courts at the resorts. :thumbsup: I think it's called the Disney Dinning Experience card, but unfortunately I don't have the info in front of me on how to get one right now. I just got home from work so I'll try to find the info this afternoon if someone else doesn't post something first. We've been using it for the past 2 or 3 years and it has saved us a lot of money.:number1:

faline
11-09-2007, 08:25 AM
As noted, the dining plan needs to be part of a package. To make it a package, you would need to purchase at least a one day ticket for each member of your party. If you have annual passes, the one day tickets can be saved and used at a later date.

pennsy22
11-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Okay, I found it. The card is $85 for Florida residents and $65 for AP or SP holders. You can order over the phone at (407) 566-5858 (Monday - Friday, 9 am - 6 pm EST). Or after 11/12/2007 you can get one at any Disney World Guest Services location. You can get some more info here. http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp
Hey "DDuck66" we're neighbors!:number1:

faline
11-09-2007, 08:41 AM
The original poster is referring to the Dining Plan. You're speaking to the Dining Experience. The Dining Plan provides a snack, a counter service and a table service meal daily. The Dining Experience card offers a 20% discount at participating restaurants.

pennsy22
11-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Yes, but with an AP this is would be her only option and 20% off a meal is pretty good if you ask me.

disneycouple2004
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Sorry to say this but no, you can't get DDP if your using AP's.:( However, there is a Dining Discount card that you can buy for about $75 a year that will get you a 20% discount at almost all of the sit down restaurants and the food courts at the resorts. :thumbsup: I think it's called the Disney Dinning Experience card, but unfortunately I don't have the info in front of me on how to get one right now. I just got home from work so I'll try to find the info this afternoon if someone else doesn't post something first. We've been using it for the past 2 or 3 years and it has saved us a lot of money.:number1:

YIKES..does this apply to DVC members too ??
we always purchase the DDP..and have it for our Dec trip next month...i just purchased a AP..so i can't do the DDP this year ??:confused:

WRWDisney
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
My understanding is that DVC members can buy the dining plan stand alone currently (never know when they might change the rules:shrug:).

That said, with the changes to the dining plan I know that we intend to buy the DDE card next time around (frankly, we just paid out of pocket this last trip and it worked better for us). The card is quickly paid for with the 20% savings, alcohol is included in the discount, and we order what we want when we want (split meals, do two appetizers and one entree', split a dessert...-not that you cannot do this on the DDP, it just isn't a cost effective use of the plan)

IMHO the current dinning plan provides to much food (and I am a big guy), but is a great value, while the new plan provides a more reasonable amount of food but is not a great value anymore.

Whatever way you go, dining at Disney is an awesome part of the experience :eat:, so it comes down to what works for your finances!

magicofdisney
11-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Or after 11/12/2007 you can get one at any Disney World Guest Services location.
This is so great to know! I always thought it was way too inconvenient to do it the other way. :mickey:

Ian
11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Yes, but with an AP this is would be her only option and 20% off a meal is pretty good if you ask me.It's not their only option ... as Linda already mentioned, they could also purchase a package with the DDP and simple one day/one park passes.

Those passes can later be redeemed towards the purchase of an AP. So effectively, you just end up pre-paying a portion of your AP renewal cost.

We did this before we joined DVC and it worked great for us. A few times we were able to use the one day passes for access to the water parks, too, although that was hit or miss.

Anyway, the answer to the OP's question is yes. You can get the DDP even if you have an AP.

DizneyRox
11-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Yes, but with an AP this is would be her only option and 20% off a meal is pretty good if you ask me.
There is no reasn why an AP holder can not get the DDP. You are confusing the issue a bit.

In order to get the DDP, you DO need to purchase a package. A package consists of a room and park tickets. You only need to get a one day pass currently, however. The only requirement is that you must purchase a MYW ticket. You DO NOT need to use the tickets, and they have no connection to the package.

You WILL NIOT be able to get an AP discount on a DDP package. The very nature of having to get MYW tickets, kindof makes it not work.

You CAN get a DDP package say with a 7 day ticket. You can use your AP for park entry and pocket the 7 day ticket for a year or two or 10 even. That 7 day ticket will still be good, provided you don't use it. Once you use it, it will expire 14 days from that date.

I have been using an AP for a number of years, and I have a stack of unused tickets from various vists. I'll use them as I need, once the AP becomes less of an attractive option.

So, the idea that AP holders can't get the DDP is a myth. It's just people seem to not like the idea of buying something that they might not use immediately. I think of tickets as an investment, I will use them at some point, and buying them early saves me money in the long run.