PDA

View Full Version : 25% Discount or DVC

rodkins
11-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi All,

My employment in the travel industry allows me to receive a 25% discount off rack rates from Disney as well as similar retail and food perks to those of DVC members. If you were in my position, would you join DVC or continue to take advantge of the professional discounts? What do you get that I don't? I'm very interested in joining if it makes sense (not necessarily in monetary terms, but affiliation). Help me take the plunge!

WRWDisney
11-09-2007, 02:06 PM
You need to look at the pros and cons thread if you haven't already with regards to membership. That said, there are some basic differences that you need to think about given your situation. For example, how long will you be employed in the travel industry; I assume the discount will disappear when you leave that profession (and there is no guarantee that it won't disappear for other reasons) whereas your DVC membership will be around for the next 50 years if you buy into AKV. ANother thought is that with DVC you can currently purchase the DDP without a package, no one else can do that. Also, you get $100 off AP.

Those are just a few of the added perks, but more importantly, you have to look at your travel "style". If you do trips at the spur of the moment, then DVC will not be the best choice (this was the biggest issue we had to look at). If you generally like larger accomodations (1 bedroom or larger), then even with 25% it won't be that long before you could have paid for a membership (2008 DVC rates for 2008 1-bedrooms are from around $400-$600/night depending upon the season, so assume a median price of $500 for 7 nights and even with your discount you would have paid $2625 plus another 10%+ for taxes making it $2900; that is almost 20% of 160 pts at AKV; ignoring inflation and investment potential of your money and even subtracting $900/year for dues and it still would have paid for itself in 8 years).

Most important though, as a member you can know you are going every year rather than just hope:mickey:

Anyway, that's my :twocents:

BTW, welcome to Intercot. I have found it to be a great resource and friendly environment; hope you do too.