PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve??

Deesdisney
11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I was wondering if the parks are really busy on New years eve. I have an opp. to go down for 3 days and would love to do New Years at one of the parks. Which one would you pick? Any special hats given out at the parks?

disneymom15
11-08-2007, 03:42 PM
We were there a few years ago. It was very busy. We did MGM. I think if we did it again we'd go to MK. The atmosphere at MGM was totally different than normal, the music was load and lots of people smoking (not our type of crowd). The fireworks were awsome. I would tend to think MK would be a little more family friendly.

KylesMom
11-08-2007, 03:54 PM
These are a few excerpts of trip reports from last year which will give you an idea of the crowds . . .

Although New Year's Day was quite busy. We ended up at MGM and left early due to the crowds. MK was closed, due to crowds, on New Year's Eve when we arrived at 11:00AM!!! Folks were quite foul as they tried to get through to park at MK.

Sunday, December 31st- New Year's Eve in Epcot: Got to Epcot at 9:15am and saw already that the park was quickly filling. I heard a couple hours later that it definitely did close to it's capacity of (are you sitting down?) 110,000!!! A CM verified that for me. Yes, it was the most packed EVER but to be honest, Epcot does a great job with dispersing people. Only around 7:00pm did it really start to feel oppressive while walking through World showcase. And don't get me started on the complimentary noise makers! My DH blew one out with all his pre-New year's revelrie.

Monday, January 1st- AK and MGM: The parks are STILL packed! Isn't everyone heading home?

Perhaps you want to read some more of the archived trip reports before making a decision . . .

CanadianWDWFan
11-08-2007, 04:42 PM
If you want to go to MK then plan on getting there EARLY and staying there all day.

Good Luck!

Deesdisney
11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Well thank you for the info. I think that is a no go. What about the hotels? Can you see the fireworks from any on the beach or other ways?

pennsy22
11-09-2007, 01:36 AM
WDW on New Years Eve is Awesome:number1:. But if you hate crowds don't bother. We've gone 10 out of the last 15 years, we even went in 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 just to tempt fate:thedolls:. The lights didn't go out and the fireworks were great.:party: I would much rather be at WDW where it is usually warm than be freezing in Time Square. Epcot and MGM tend to be more adult, probably because of the alcohol sales. They hand out hats and noise makers at all of the parks.:party:

LittleRoosMommy
11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
We were @ WDW for New Year's 2001-2002 and it was very crowded on New Year's Eve. We spent the day at MK and it was closed early in the day because they had reached capacity. I have to say some of the people were not very nice by later in the evening and alot of parents had crying, very tired children. But, it was still a great time!
They gave out hats and noise makers later in the evening. There were extra shows, parades, lights and other festivities as well. The Countdown on MainStreet was awesome and the fireworks were incredible!! You were surrounded by them!! Only Disney could pull off something of that magnitude!!:mickey:
New's Year's Day was not very crowded at all. At least at Animal Kingdom.
If you don't mind the crowds, then I say do it at least once! It's something we'll never forget.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-09-2007, 11:02 PM
"Busy" does not even begin to describe it.
We were there 12/31/01 and again this past New Year's Eve.
It was horribly crowded both times...and we can't wait until we get the chance to do it again!!!:thumbsup:

wifey5794
11-10-2007, 09:14 AM
We've been there a few times for new Years and we go to Epcot. We make a few ADR's and just have fun. You do need to plan tp be there early and stay for the day. They closed the park the last time we were there for about 3 hours.

It is funny to see people catching zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's on any grassy surface you can find during the day!

TinaAndGlenn
11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I am encouraged by the New Years Eve reports. Since EPCOT is more adult, is it less packed than MK? I also read somewhere that MGM has some great bands on NewYearsEve. Anyone know if this is true? We will there until the 4th, when do the parks empty out for the holidays? (Please don't say Jan 5th)

MinnieMommie
11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Well thank you for the info. I think that is a no go. What about the hotels? Can you see the fireworks from any on the beach or other ways?

The parks are Very crowded and the parks do stop entry when they are filled to capacity. However you can have a wonderful experience staying at a hotel. You can have dinner at someplace fabulous and watch the fireworks from one of the hotels (like from CR or the beach at the Poly to name only 2).

Last year we were at Disney for NYE and stayed at SSR. The view of DD's fireworks was fantastic from there. We ate at DD then watched the fireworks from SSR. You have several options if you don't want to be in a parks. :mickey: