PDA

View Full Version : friend going through chemo

jax86
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine is having a tough time going throuigh chemo right now. I don't live close enough to visit, but would llike to do something thoughtful for her. Does anyone have any ideas? I though about some kind of gift basket, does anyone know of any good on line sites that sell good ones?? any suggestions would be helpful thanks::mickey:

offwego
11-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Do they like to read or listen to music? You could send something via amazon for them if that's the case.

Another option would be gift cards (that way if they happen to be out there is no real problem with delivery of it) to a local store (even grocery stores sell them now).

Or perhaps a really nice card with a note about a donation in their name to a local (to them) fundraising campagin?

MNNHFLTX
11-07-2007, 01:32 PM
How about a gift certificate for a manicure or pedicure. It's amazing how a pretty set of nails can lift the spirit.

Books, CD's, DVD's--all would offer a distraction.

If you want to do a gift basket, Bath and Body Works has some wonderful products. The nice thing about them is that some of their aromatherapy products are more subtle and easier on sensitive noses and stomachs, like lavender and mint. And they have some slipper-socks right now that are unbelievably soft and warm.

thrillme
11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
During my DH's first bout with cancer he would have to go to chemo every two weeks. The thing he LOVED was comic books. I know if it were me I would LOVE a basket filled with Archie's and Donald Duck digests, I'd be great with superhero comics as well (my DH loved these).

Handheld games can be great too but that can get ratherly expensive. But if she's there with another patient who also has a DS then they can play together

Tick-Tock
11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Google "Cancer Gift Basket." There are companies offering baskets designed especially for cancer patients. Even if you don't want to order one, they may give you some ideas about what would be useful or appreciated.

Tinkermom
11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
When I was in the hospital some friends brought me light-hearted books. That really helped me to get my mind off of how I was feeling.

Some pampering stuff would be great also, I love the idea of the slipper socks!

scootch713
11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Lance Armstrong has some great books out. My niece also enjoyed blankets, hats, lotions, robes, and assorted things like mints/gum. Saying a prayer for your friend. The biggest gift you can give her is to just stay in touch, even just to say hi.. i'm thinking about ya...

ElenitaB
11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Having had some experience in this area :blush:, I can offer some suggestions.

Does your friend have an iPod? You can send them an iTunes giftcard as music, movies or an audio book are always a nice thing... I often listen to music or podcasts, or watch a movie to help the time go by during treatment.

Handheld games are a fun idea, but only if your friend has a mediport (they're not easy to play if you have an IV in one of your hands). However, they could be fun when your friend is not getting treatment.

One of my dear cousins sent a low-cost DVD player and someone else sent a gift subscription to NetFlix. I often would watch movies to help pass the time during treatment (some drugs involve a very looooong infusion).

My favorite presents over the years have been: books (know their tastes first and I'd suggest leave chosing the inspirational ones to the patient), a lovely but light-weight afghan, flowers, but most of all, the gift of simply having someone call to check in. Being the patient can be very isolating. Another nice present was a gift certificate for a massage (which I've yet to use); mani/pedis are lovely but might not be a good idea due to the risk of infection.

RenDuran
11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
One of my friends has been in the hospital for over a month with her infant daughter. We've been sending her weekly boxes jammed with magazines, notes, candy and grocery items, lotions, teddy bears, etc.

I've never experienced someone close to me doing chemo, so I don't know what they can tolerate....but I just sent a friend that had a lung biopsy done a cookie basket from Cheryl's Cookie Company. They have all sorts of ideas for gifts and the cookies freeze well if she can't eat them yet. The cookies are divine!

Good luck to your friend. It stinks being long-distance, doesn't it? Just make sure to keep calling, sending notes through email and snail mail, and keeping her in your thoughts.

alphamommy
11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
I haven't done chemo, but friends from my cancer survivor's group have. I would be careful about anything with a scent or any food. Some people become very hypersensitive to foods and smells during treatment. This can also be a problem depending on where her cancer is/was. People with head and neck cancers can have great difficulty with food during treatment, as well as for a long time afterward (we had a long discussion about this at my group last night).

I agree with those who said books and magazines, especially funny ones. I love Dave Barry, and when I was hospitalized for an extended time last year, DH brought up several of his books. Even though I'd already read them, they were still great fun.

Good luck to you, and your friend! :pixie:
Tammy