PDA

View Full Version : Help for a DLR first-timer

JabberJaws
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey guys. My wife and I will be making our first ever trip to DLR in Dec. (10-15). We will be staying at the Paradise Pier and going to the parks 3 of the 4 full days we will be there.

We are already going to eat a lunch at the BB and a character breakfast at the PCH grill at our hotel.

On our last day, we wanted to do a fancy dinner to end the trip right. We won't be going to the parks that day, so it will have to be in a resort or DTD restaurant.

We are looking for fine dining, but not $40/entree haha.

Any suggestions?

disneydrmr
11-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I can't help you on the 'fancy' dinner suggestion as when I was there I was eating cheap.. but I just wanted to let you know that at the Stitch breakfast at the Pier you do NOT have to order the buffet. They do offer a menu - you just have to ask for it.

tinkwest
11-07-2007, 11:10 AM
My first thoughts go to the hotel restaurants. Napa Rose at GCH is probably more than you feel like spending (I have yet to eat there, but have heard it is good). Yamabuki at the PPH is one of our favorites. If you like Japanese cuisine that would be an option with food offered no where else within the Resort. Steakhouse 55, at the DLH, is another fine restaurant. We only had one bad experience there and it was mostly because of our table placement. Had we asked to be moved when we were seated I think our evening would have been a success. A bit less expensive and maybe not so fancy, but with great food, is Hook's Pointe at the DLH.

Belle619
11-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I LOVE Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DTD. :tasty: I've been there twice and both times the food has been wonderful and the service is great! If you go here though, I recommend sitting outside so that you can take in all of the sights of the DTD area.

I made ADR's when we last went, and even though you can't request outdoor seating at that time, when we arrived for dinner we were the only couple with reservations and the only couple to get the prime seating area.

NotaGeek
11-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey guys. My wife and I will be making our first ever trip to DLR in Dec. (10-15). We will be staying at the Paradise Pier and going to the parks 3 of the 4 full days we will be there.

We are already going to eat a lunch at the BB and a character breakfast at the PCH grill at our hotel.

On our last day, we wanted to do a fancy dinner to end the trip right. We won't be going to the parks that day, so it will have to be in a resort or DTD restaurant.

We are looking for fine dining, but not $40/entree haha.

Any suggestions?

For a nice and romantic great dinner try Steakhouse 55 -- they normally have a prix fix menu for about $50 per person. Entrees vary, but without any booze you can probably get by with $40. I think when I have been there it's been closer to $60 per person with everything, but it was worth it.

I love Hook's Point! A nice dinner, not the best atmosphere if you are looking for romantic and intimate, but still nice.

Blue Bayou is also a choice and is priced at about $40 a person for a whole meal, but the service is iffy at best and the last 2 times I have been there have really put me off on the place. It's a Disneyland classic though ...

MegaDisney
11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Gotta go with Michael on Hooks Point, great food and service has usually been good. The prices are reasonable.

I love Steakhouse 55 but the service there has been iffy. It is also a little pricey.

I did not care for Catal, but others love it and it is one of the "best resturants in the OC"

NotaGeek
11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Catal = :ack:

The worst birthday dinner in history. Horrible service, sad, cold and unimaginative food. You couldn't PAY me to go back there.

tamquilts
11-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I'll cast my vote for Hook's Point. Great atmosphere, good variety on the menu, reasonably priced, etc. Have the hotel guest services book you a reservation.

One time when we ate there I complimented the waiter on my food and asked if I could get the recipe. The chef came out, sat down with us, explained how to make the dish, and wrote down the ingredients for me. It was very nice.:thumbsup:

MegaDisney
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Catal = :ack:

The worst birthday dinner in history. Horrible service, sad, cold and unimaginative food. You couldn't PAY me to go back there.

I am so sorry we chose that for your Birthday.

Don't forget about the Duck Jerky!!!!:ack:

Melanie
11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Another vote for Hook's Point!

JabberJaws
11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
First off, thank you everyone for all of the great and helpful replies to my last thread about a place to eat dinner our last night.

I have narrowed it down to 4 places based on the responses in that thread...

-Catal
-Storyteller's Cafe
-Hook's Point
-Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen

What are y'all's opinions of these 4 restaurants? We are looking for a nice (but doesn't have to be shirt and tie fancy) place with good food, service, price and a decidedly Disney-feel. This will be our last night and therefore our final impression of Disneyland, so it is an important decision :D

Any opinions? I am leaning towards Hook's Point because it seems to have a very "Disney" atmosphere and theme, good field and nice toooo expensive, but want everyone's opinion.

Thanks guys!!!

NotaGeek
11-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry, one thread per topic.

Catal -- stll :ack:

Storyteller -- very limited dinner menu and dinner service can be VERY iffy.

Hooks Point -- Great, what I said before still applies

Ralph Brennan's -- it's ok, but if I am at Disney, I want to eat at a Disney restaurant, not a chain. The food is ok, but for the price I would do Hook's Point.

JabberJaws
11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks! Sorry for spreading it out to 2 threads. Was afraid that everyone would have looked at the one thread and might pass over my 2nd question. I shouldn't have underestimated my fellow Intercotees! :rocks::high5::rocks:

Aisling
11-07-2007, 10:32 PM
If you want to end your trip on a real Disney feel, then you should go to Hook's Pointe. And make sure you go down to the waterfalls on your way back to the hotel. They light them up at night and it's very pretty (slippery too, so be careful!). Have a wonderful time and enjoy your dinner.

MegaDisney
11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
From your list I would choose Hooks Point.

The Seared Ahi is INCREDIBLE!

JabberJaws
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Just an update, I made an ADR for Hook's Point for our last night there. Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

MegaDisney - I will remember what you said about the seared Ahi. Sounds delicious!

I will be sure to have a nice trip report up after we get back!

Only one month from tomorrow!!!!!!

:joy::yay::joy::yay::joy::yay:

Crystal Palace
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is my favorite restaurant in the whole resort. Their food is always consistant, and the atmosphere is great!

Miss Mouse
11-20-2007, 02:06 AM
I know it's probably too late, but thought I'd throw my two cents into the discussion.

I have never done this, but have wanted to since I first heard of it. If you make a reservation at the Wine Country Trattoria in DCA for about a half hour prior to the Electrical Parade, you can request a table out on the rooftop terrace and eat your dinner while watching the parade dance by below you. This, to me, sounds like a decidedly Disney way to eat dinner!

Also, I know this isn't all that "fancy" but you could also have dinner out on the terrace at Cafe Orleans in the park. That way you're eating your dinner while overlooking the Rivers of America, with the lights of New Orleans Square twinkling around you. Plus, you get to enjoy even more time in the park on your last night!

Whatever you choose - enjoy yourselves! :eat: