PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly River Run and DCA Questions

JabberJaws
11-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey guys. My wife and I are making our first ever trip to DLR in December (10-15) and I have a few questions.

Grizzly River Run - Is it worth it for a first timer? How is it compared to Kali RR at DAK? We will, of course, be decked out in a poncho and trashbags over feet due to the cold weather, but just was curious as to what you guys think about it.
Golden Dreams - Is it worth it? Are there any "effects" or is just a visual show?
What else in DCA besides the obvious (ToT, CS, Soarin, etc.) should we do? Any "hidden gems" or lessen known attractions that are worth doing.
The rides that WDW has...Soarin, ITTBAB, Muppets, etc. Are they clones of the WDW versions, or are they different. We are frequent WDW visitors (and former CMs) so should we just skip these?

Thanks for the help everyone! We can't wait for our first visit to DLR!!!

disneydrmr
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Hey guys. My wife and I are making our first ever trip to DLR in December (10-15) and I have a few questions.

Grizzly River Run - Is it worth it for a first timer? How is it compared to Kali RR at DAK? We will, of course, be decked out in a poncho and trashbags over feet due to the cold weather, but just was curious as to what you guys think about it.
Golden Dreams - Is it worth it? Are there any "effects" or is just a visual show?
What else in DCA besides the obvious (ToT, CS, Soarin, etc.) should we do? Any "hidden gems" or lessen known attractions that are worth doing.
The rides that WDW has...Soarin, ITTBAB, Muppets, etc. Are they clones of the WDW versions, or are they different. We are frequent WDW visitors (and former CMs) so should we just skip these?

Did not ride the Grizzly, so can't answer that... I do know that my friends and I were amused for over 20 minutes watching the ride and laughing at the reactions of the people who were riding it as they got drenched!

Do NOT NOT NOT miss the Alladin show! This was the highlight of our visit to DCA! And make sure you catch the Pixar Block Party Bash Parade! Again, another highlight! And make sure you ride the Mike and Sully to the Rescue ride!

This was my first ever visit to DLR and I LOVED it! You guys will too! Do NOT skip rides that WDW has because many were a bit different - especially POTC! (DLR's version is BETTER!) Hope you have a magical time!

NotaGeek
11-07-2007, 11:53 AM

1. Grizzly river run is much different than KRR, different theming and the only spinning drop in a "river ride" -- you also don't get soaking wet all year long like you do on Kali. In the winter Disney tones it down.

2. Golden Dreams is a visual show, 1 cool effect, but it's just about 14 minutes, so why not check it out?

3. You should do EVERYTHING at DCA! It's all changing in the next few years, so then next time you visit it could all be different. It's not like WDW and you will easily be able to ride everything!

4. The rides at DCA that are shared by WDW are the same ride, but the queues are different, same ride. Soarin' is ORIGINAL to DCA, and the theming is amazing and completely different than WDW ... and you can see the way it was conceptualized by WDI while visiting DCA.

My suggestions, why skip anything? When you visit the DLR the lines will be low and you will be amazed a the how close everything is ... it's totally a different place than WDW. Enjoy each ride for what it is! By the way, just wait until you see Fantasyland ...

Have fun in Walt's Park. You can definitely feel a different magic at DLR as Walt actually walked the park, be sure and smile up at his apartment above the Firehouse on Main Street USA. :mickey:

terri.m
11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with everything that was said here. It's nice to know they tone down GRR in the winter because you CAN get drenched if you get caught in the last eruption! Trust me on that one...

Since it's your first time there, I would try to take in everything. You will have the time. If you are a fan of animation do not miss the Animation building. And whatever you do, do NOT miss the Toy Story Zoetrope in that building. It's amazing!

tamquilts
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I agree with the other advice.

Don't miss the Aladdin show. If you sit on the Mezzanine level you will see it all (flying carpet in the air) and not miss anything. If you sit down front - by the time you realize there is a carpet floating above you, you've missed it.

As for Golden Dreams.... it's a short movie about the history of California. There is a part in it (about Chinese immigrants) that always brings me to tears. No matter how many times I've seen it - I always cry there. So if you are a tender heart, bring tissues.

Grizzly Rapids is fun, I've only gotten really wet once on that ride and I've ridden it dozens of times.

The Sorcerer's Workshop is great fun. Also in the Animation attraction is the CRUSH show where you can interact with Crush. It's worth a watch.

HAVE FUN!!!

BrerGnat
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree to not skip over stuff that's also at WDW in general, BUT you can easily skip the Muppets and ITTBAB. ITTBAB, especially, is better over at AK, since it's inside the tree of life and all. Over here, it's just inside an "anthill", which is pretty boring.

At DCA, I would recommend, as "lesser known attractions", the Boudin Bakery and Mission Tortilla factory tours (both in Pacific Wharf area) as well as enjoying a glass of wine that can be purchased at a counter near the Golden Wine Vineyard. You can also do a wine tasting experience there, which is sort of fun if you've never done that.

Check out the Redwood Creek Challenge trail also. It's like a playground for grown ups (and also kids, but it's pretty fun, especially the high swinging bridges and rope climbs. It's located sort of across diagonally from Grizzly River Run. It's easy to miss, or pass up as a "kids area", but it's cool and you can get some good views from the lookout areas at the top.

I agree to NOT miss the Aladdin Ride.

Also, you will STILL get soaked on GRR, even when it's cold. The water does spill over the sides of the boat on occasion, and you could get a lapful. Disney does turn off the main shooting geyser in the cold days, but there's still plenty to soak you. HOWEVER, with that said, ride if you dare, because it's a really really good rapids ride. It has the best immersive themeing of ANY rapids ride I've even been on. And, it's heads above Kali, in my opinion.

MegaDisney
11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I agree with everyone here, with the addition of three words:

Corn Dog Castle :eat:

BrerGnat
11-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I agree with everyone here, with the addition of three words:

Corn Dog Castle :eat:

My DH would DITTO THAT! I'm not into corndogs, but he is and LOVES them!