PDA

View Full Version : Help: Points or Location on a Budget

Goofy Dad 13
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
We (Ok I with DW starting to give in) are looking to get into DVC. With a limited budget of $6,000 I know we need to go the re-sale route. I do not want to wait another 3 or 4 years to join.

We love AKL and would love to own there, but could only get around 60 points (if I could find it) or at HHI we could get around 100. I know they say buy where you want to stay, but does that apply here?

Ignnoring the annual fees, which would you choose: More points or location?

BluegrassDaisy
11-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I would choose location! I wish I had given that more consideration when I bought at SSR. It is a gorgous resort, but I wish I had bought via resale at another resort.

DISNEYFIX
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Can you finance the balance $$$$ for the min # of AKV points and get some of the promotions?
Tough question!

DVC Mike
11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
The most popular philosophy, and the one I personally adhere to, is “Buy Where You Want to Stay”. If you really love a particular resort (AKV), then buy into it. There are some people who have a particular fondness for a resort and really want to stay at that particular resort, and they would be unhappy if they were not able to book there.

If you don’t have a particular fondness for a certain resort, or if you’re not a planner and anticipate always booking at the 7-month window (or less), then “Buy the best deal”; that is, whatever resort has the lowest overall cost. If any resort is fine, then buy where you get the best overall deal for total cost of ownership. Recognize that the variables for that depend on purchase cost (price, closing costs and finance charges), annual dues, expected length of ownership and likely resale value upon disposition. Keep in mind that any savings in upfront purchase cost will probably be offset by the difference in maintenance fees.

JPL
11-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I jumped in with 100 points at HHI and plan on adding more points as time and money permits.

Tinkermom
11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I jumped in with 100 points at HHI and plan on adding more points as time and money permits.

Well then...
:welcome: HOME Figgy!
I did not know you joined DVC! :thumbsup:

Anyway, back to the thread...
We bought in at Vero Beach and have never had a problem staying at WDW. In fact we are staying in a 2 bedroom Savanna View rooom at AKLV in February. We also purchased at SSR but have only stayed there once. I have no problem booking 7 months out or being flexible about which resort we stay at in WDW. We love them all!:cloud9: I say go with the larger point value. You will get more out of 100 points than 60 for sure.

JPL
11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Well then...
:welcome: HOME Figgy!
I did not know you joined DVC! :thumbsup:

My first DVC Stay is January at OKW :mickey:

Horizon93
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I think that you will love OKW. We had our first DVC stay there and could not have been happier.

To the original post, OKW is a great resort and a reasonably priced resort. You also get some tremendous point value there.

dlpmikki
11-07-2007, 04:39 AM
I suppose another aspect to the question is do you want to stay at HHI ever or do you always want to stay at WDW? If you want WDW then a home resort there, even if it is not your favourite place, makes it a lot more easy to stay there. If you are willing to go for an early finish date of 2042 then an OKW contract will give you more points plus when you stay there it costs less points a night than any other resort. And if you stay in a one bed you may never want to stay at another DVC resort again!

Ian
11-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I'll be very honest here ... unless you're planning on buying the 60 points as sort of a "starter kit" for your DVC membership, there's really not much point in getting that few points.

60 points won't get you much of anything in terms of annual vacations. You might be able to stay for a week in a studio, depending on what time of the year you go and it would have to be a week that didn't include a Friday or Saturday night.

If I was you, I'd take the $6,000 and use it as a nice, sizeable downpayment in a 160 point contract from Disney. With the good incentives they're offering right now, you'd only have to finance about $9,000 or so. That should give you a monthly payment in the $120 a month range.

If that's not an option, then I would honestly wait until you have the financial wherewithal to buy at least the 160 point minimum.

sillyolbear
11-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree with Ian. Sixty points is limiting, so saving or financing would be the way I'd go.

Mickey'sApprentice
11-17-2007, 06:40 PM
OP, we own 100 points at BWV and love it. With smaller contracts you do have to be a bit more careful with your points. With smaller point contracts you end up borrowing and banking more. That's fine as long as you don't have to change your plans.

We let borrowing for a cancelled trip mess us up once. We were able to use the 29 points that we borrowed for an extended Thanksgiving weekend trip :turkey:to HH. (It was wonderful!) We'll know in the future to be very careful banking and borrowing.

With our 100 pts, we are still vacationing more than we used to and have lower maintenance fees. It is a good fit for us.

Ian
11-17-2007, 07:04 PM
One question I forgot to ask ... is it just you and DW?

If so, and if you'd be happy with studio accomodations, then I'd say you might be able to get away with the 60 points at AKV.

That should be enough to get you a one week stay (5 non-weekend nights) at a studio during off peak time.

MinnieMommie
11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
If you want to stay at WDW I say go with the 60 pts and buy there. It will be a nice DVC start for you and you will be able to enjoy a nice long weekend or a longer stay in a studio without the Friday and Saturday nights that will cost you more points. There are ways to make the 60 pts stretch as you get to know the ins and outs of booking and understanding the seasons, days of weeks and size of room and how all this translates into points. As your budget dictates you can add on and before you know it you will have the amount of points you need to meet your vacation needs. Good luck with your decision. :mickey:

Goofy Dad 13
11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
One question I forgot to ask ... is it just you and DW?

No, Have two DD's 12 and 10. DW is not the biggest WDW fan, but she humors me (and one DD) who are a bit obsessed, and has more trips than she probably needed to.

We are probably not looking at going as often (currently have APs), but like the idea of being able to have two trips on the same AP (almost one year apart). This way we could borrow/bank the one year we would skip in between.

Ian
11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
If you planned to only go once every other year and were willing to not stay any weekend nights and were willing to go only during value periods, then I think you could get by on the 60 points.