PDA

View Full Version : My sweet Bentley is gone

Marilyn Michetti
11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
:dog:My sweet bassett, Bentley, was euthanized this morning. He had been suffering from Valley Fever, and heart problems, and was up all night struggling to breathe. I called DD at 4:00 A.M., and she said to give him another heart medicine. We met at the vet's at 11:30, and decided there was nothing left to do. His heart rate was 180, and he was suffering. We stayed with him, and arranged for cremation. They've picked him up already, and we'll have his ashes tonight.

I'm going to miss him soooooo much. We shared ice cream every night, and he, and Cody, (the Chow), would get a ride around the neighborhood with the windows down. Cody is an only child now, and is already knowing things are different.

Before I took him, he got prime rib, hand fed, and a spoon of ice cream. This is never easy, but he's not hurting anymore. Wish I could say the same for us.

Bentley, you were such a good friend. You've got your wings now.

hoop de do
11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend. It is very hard but you did the right thing. I'm sending you pixie dust for all your family. :tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

drummerboy
11-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey Marilyn. I'm sorry to hear about Bentley. I know exactly how you feel.

Mickey'sGirl
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I am so sorry Marilyn. What a lucky boy he was to have you to love him. My condolences to you, Cody and your family. Think of how happy he is now running and breathing fine over the Rainbow Bridge. My thoughts are with you all. :hug:

RedSoxFan
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Marilyn -- I am so sorry to hear about Bentley.:(

Tygger7
11-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Just went through this in the spring when we had to put my 17 year old Pekingese to sleep. It's so hard to say good-bye, even when you know you're doing the right thing. To help with the grieving process, we made a donation to a local rescue in her memory. It doesn't bring her back, but I feel like I was able to make something positive out of the ordeal.

Thoughts & prayers are with you, your family, and your other pet(s) through this difficult time.

-Michelle

RenDuran
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet Bentley. He knew he was very loved, I'm sure of that.

LibertyTreeGal
11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry :( that's just awful. Prayers coming your way for peace.

DisneyDog
11-06-2007, 03:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I had to put my heartdog, Sneakers (pembroke welsh corgi) down in December. I still miss him terribly, but in my heart I know I did the right thing. I'm sure you will always have the most fond memories to keep close to your heart. Bentley will always be with you as long as you have your memories.

MNNHFLTX
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm so sorry, Marilyn.:(

Saying goodbye to the special members of our families is always such a hard thing to do, even when you know it's for the best.

offwego
11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm sure you did the right thing but that doesn't make the pain less.

How sweet he had his fave ice cream one last time though.

merlinmagic4
11-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh, that is heartbreaking. I am so sorry; I feel like I knew Bentley. My thoughts are with you and poor Cody.

Jenn's mention of Rainbow Bridge made me think of something. I lost my Greyhound when she was hit by a car. I was devastated. Some time after she died I was still having a hard time and then I had the most vivid dream I have ever had. I was in this big, grassy meadow and my dog came running out to greet me. I was so happy to see her! I asked an old man there if I could take her home and he told me that I could not but to remember this time with her and to see how happy she was. I can still recall it as vividly as ever and it was over 10 years ago. I know it was probably just a dream but you never know............. :hug:

I think Bentley is probably there.

IloveJack
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Your post made tears well up in my eyes. :( I hate to hear that someone's "furry family member" has passed on. I don't know what I'll do the day my DH's beloved "Jake" dies. I'm afraid of that day. And when my little "Dixie" goes... who'll warm the other side of the recliner for me?

MMouse6937
11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Marilyn, :hug: to you. I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley, he was a special little fellow and will be greatly missed. It sounds like he found the best mom with you and would wish for you to know how much he loved you. God bless you for taking such good care of him. Give Cody some extra hugs and kisses and take care of yourself.

caryrae
11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
We had to do this to our doggie (Bowser) about 1 1/2 years ago. He was 14 and made us very happy. He was having trouble with his legs, it was getting harder and harder to get up and lay down. The day we put him down we gave a bunch of left over turkey from a turkey dinner the night before. Bowser and my wife would always share popcorn whenever she made it. Now we have his ashes in a nice wooden box with his picture on it on our mantle.

Then a few months later this all white cat (we named him Rascoe) with the coolest blue eyes showed up. He was kinda skinny so we think he was a stray so we would leave food out for him and I even left the garage door open a crack, with a little bed inside so he could get out of the cold (it was getting close to winter here in Minnesota). He is the nicest cat we ever saw, he like to lay on your lap, sleep in the bed, doesn't run and hide when people come over, he nuzzles his head in your face. So we think that our little Bowser sent Rascoe to make us not so sad anymore.

Here's a couple pics of Bowser (dog) and Rascoe (cat) http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2025680670102483133xaVfvg

SBETigg
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Marilyn, I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Bentley. It must be so hard right now. I'm also sorry to hear about Michelle's pekingese and about Sneakers and Bowser (those eyes!) :(

mickey&missy
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh Marilyn, I'm so, so sorry! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

kakn7294
11-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley! I know how much you loved him. He was a lucky dog to have you in his life - you took such good care of him and loved to spoil him. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him and he'll be keeping an eye on you now. Give Cody some extra loving - he'll be there for you too.

illini
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Marilyn, I'm so sorry about Bentley. I have tears in my eyes for both of you. Losing a pet is so painful. You're in my thoughts.

Melanie
11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Marilyn, I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

MsMin
11-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Marilyn, When I saw the title I knew it was your Bentley and my heart sank for you. I know you've had better years than this one and I know from having furbabies of my own that he has brought you many years of love and comfort. While his job here is finished and as he plays waiting for you free from pain I know you will still miss him dearly.
:paw: Sending loving wet puppy kisses from our Yorkie delegation here in Louisiana in gratitude for the wonderful life you have given Bentley. All a dog really wants is your love and attention and I know he plenty from your loving home even in the loving decision to let him go :crying: :hug:

mrsgaribaldi
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
:hug: I know just how you feel Marilyn and I'm so sorry :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

TikiGoddess
11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Many prayers winging their way to you from CT!

Kathy

Jeff
11-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Losing a cherished family pet is always so difficult and sad.:(

murphy1
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm so sorry, Marilyn! You have helped me with my Murphy sometimes, I know how much you loved Bentley from your posts and I know Bentley will be missed so much. It's never easy to go through this.

Tink&Goofy
11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley. Its amazing how they become such an important part of your life and your family! We have had to deal with this before as well, and it took quite awhile before I could think about him without welling up with tears. But now I have wonderful memories to remember him by - and you will too. Here's some :hug: for you and Cody.

Bethanymouse
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Bentley. Of all of the losses one has, the loss of a pet is one of the most difficult. Keep your chin up and remember what a loyal pal he was. I am sure that he knew he had a wonderful life with you.

Dsnygirl
11-07-2007, 12:27 AM
:dog: I am so sad to hear about your Bentley... it is so hard to lose a family member, even a furry one. We went through the same thing a year ago, and it was so hard... my heart about broke. At least you know he's not suffering anymore... he's watching you and smiling, knowing the last thing you did for him was love him. :hug:

vizsla
11-07-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley. There is nothing harder than having to put a pet down, but all the great memories you have with Bentley will always keep him close to you and make it easier to move forward.

faline
11-07-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm so sorry.

Jeri Lynn
11-07-2007, 06:14 AM
Marilyn,
I'm very sorry about your Bentley, he sounded very special.

My sister has had to put two of her precious dogs down within a month of each other. She still had one dog and cat left and has just adopted another small dog from our local shelter that she has fallen in love with.

DisneyorBust
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Sorry for your loss Marilyn, people who don't have pets don't understand the pain. It's tough to lose part of the family.:(

Jeff G
11-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to here of your loss Marilyn:(.

TheDuckRocks
11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley. I am without words to tell you how sad this makes me feel. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Tom.:hug:

missbunny
11-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our family cat in September so I know what you must be feeling. A beloved pet is such an important part of the family. I still miss Frisky and at times I find myself looking at his favorite spot wondering where he is. Its going to be hard but in time the pain eases and you will smile and think about the good times you had with Bentley.
I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. If you need a shoulder to lean on, I am here for you. :grouphug:

Flower
11-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Marlyn,

So sorry to hear about your sweet Bentley :dog: My thoughts are with you & your family.

TooGoofy
11-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Marilyn,
I am so sorry for your loss. I know just how you feel. We are here for you! :hug:

Wolf
11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh Bentley's mom I'm so sorry! I can only imagine how much your suffering but you made his last days and I'm sure his entire life wonderful. I can imagine him and my doggy who passed a few years ago Spook playing up in the doggy section of heaven waiting for us. We send our sympathies with his passing and hope your family heals. :hug:

ChipnDaleGal
11-08-2007, 05:48 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Marilyn. I know how hard it is to make that final decision, but Bentley knows how much you loved him and what a great life he had with your family. Good luck with the healing process. :pixie:

poeticeclipse
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Marilyn,

Your post made me a little choked up. I really wish you and your family a healthy grieving period. I personally have not had the experience of saying goodbye to a dog yet. My prayers are with you. Just know that he'll be watching over you i'm sure.

disneydeb
11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm so sorry. I wish I cold say something that could make you feel better. :hug:

IloveDisney71
11-08-2007, 08:07 PM
... Think of how happy he is now running and breathing fine over the Rainbow Bridge... :hug:

I would also like to say how sorry I am to hear about your loss. If you haven't read the "Rainbow Bridge" poem - you should google it and read it. My vet gave me, my DH and my 2 dd's this poem when we had to put our cat to sleep. The poem was wonderful and comforting. You did the right thing, but it still hurts.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I am so sorry. :hug:

disneydrmr
11-09-2007, 10:03 AM
:hug: So sorry for your loss. May your wonderful memories of Bentley sustain you!

Stitchahula
11-10-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss it's never an easy thing to say good by to your furbaby. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Marilyn Michetti
11-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks to all.

My poor Chow, Cody, is grieving so bad. It's been almost a week now, and she's wanting to see in the car everytime we come home. Unless we say, "want to ride in the car", she just looks inside and goes back in the house. We're hoping she perks up soon, but no plans yet for a new rescue. With the holidays coming up, and our trip to DL, we'll just let her be our only child for awhile, and see what happens after the New Year.

Lots of PPD - (Puppy Pixie Dust), and hopes that she will be her happy self again.:pixie::pixie:

RenDuran
11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Poor Cody....when we lost one of our dogs last year, our remaining dog looked for her for weeks. It was really difficult to watch sometimes, since I was grieving myself. Give Cody some extra love and she'll pull through okay. Hugs to you both!

Stitchahula
11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
give cody a ton of attention which I'm sure you already do. They have to go threw a grieving process too. Just like with us they need time and no one can tell you how much time they will need. Make sure Cody is still eating and drinking ok and with love you'll help eachother threw this. I know when we lost shantara her sister shealin was so sad she stopped eating for a while she was just so sad to be without her sister. Don't rush yourself into a new dog do it when you feel ready. A lot of people think that when you loose one you should go out and get another one right away but your heart needs time to heal you'll know when it's the right time. Tons of :dog::pixie:and for you too.