PDA

View Full Version : I met Philidelphia Eagle's Donovan McNabb and was an extra in a commercial at MGM

McGoofy
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
On Tuesday, 10/30/07 around 10am, we were walking down Sunset Blvd. headed toward Tower of Terror to get fastpasses for our party of 5. As we were walking down the sidewalk, a Disney CM approached us and asked if we would like to be extras in an ESPN commercial. Of course our answer was a hearty "YES!" He pulled us aside and later about 30-40 other people joined us. We were told that it was a commercial for ESPN that they were filming with Donovan McNabb, #5 from the Philadelphia Eagles, Dana Jacobson, and Jay Crawford (both which are ESPN sportscasters.) This commercial will be a Superbowl promo commercial, but I am not sure when it will start to air. Our job as extras was to watch the parade, wave at the floats, and then pretend to be upset when McNabb "interupted" the middle of the parade. We were given props to hold--because we all know that everybody carries a giant stuffed Mickey Mouse doll and cotton candy the size of a small child to the parade! My husband was even given a video camera to pretend he was taping the parade. Some people who were not wearing Disney articles were given shirts, hats, etc. to wear. The commercial shoot took almost 3 hours. We were given multiple fastpasses for rides when we left. My husband and our guy friend are very tall, so the director kept calling them "my tall guys." He had them stand right behind Dana and Jay, so they were in practically every shot. My son was placed on the front row, and my girl friend and myself were also on the front but toward the end of the line, so we may not be in the shots. In between shooting, we all got to talk to Donovan McNabb. He was very personable. The acting experience at MGM was fun. You never know what's going to happen to you when you walk down Disney streets!!!:mickey:

Here's photos of the commercial shoot. (http://community.webshots.com/album/561342836qyYZrl?vhost=community)

Brownie54
11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
VERY COOL!!!! Your son must have been thrilled. Now your entire family can tell everyone to look for "the commercial we shot last October." :D Just goes to show you.....Never know what magic will happen at Disney World.

TBY2225
11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I am so happy for you, and jealous! I enjoyed hearing about it first hand! I hope I will be able to see the commercial!

youngOx96
11-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Now that's a memory! Rubbing elbows with a very talented quarterback while at Disney. It sounds like a once in a lifetime experience.

Thanks for sharing.

mousetrapper
11-06-2007, 03:28 PM
That is SO cool!!

Congrats!

:thumbsup:

1goofyfamily
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Don't let the crazy Philadelphia Eagles fans find out about this. They're already calling for him to be benched with his poor outings. And not being 100% concentrated on football the week of a Cowboys game will be deemed inexcusable. Granted I'm one of thew few Eagles fans who says the man has earned a lifetime pass with 4 straight NFC championship games. But I'm in the minority. Sounds like it was a good time! Can't wait to see the commercial.

disneydave4479
11-06-2007, 03:40 PM
:thumbsup:

That looked like great fun!

Dave

Ian
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
That's really cool!! What an experience ... you're very lucky!

As far as McNabb goes ... too bad that being in a Super Bowl commerical will be as close as he comes to a Super Bowl. :thedolls:

illini
11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing. Loved the pics. The cotton candy is hilarious!

KylesMom
11-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Tara, what a cool experience!!! :mickey:

AbeeNormal
11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Seems as if it couldn't have happened to a nicer family...... :mickey:

What an amazing experience something to remember for year's & year's to come. :cloud9:

Congratulations to you and your family:D

You're celebraties now....:encore:

PirateLover
11-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow! Sounds like a blast. Loved the pictures! And I'm glad Donovan was so much fun. Sometimes he's come off as a bit cold in this city in the past. Good to see him letting loose. Can't wait to see the finished product!

GrumpyFan
11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Very Cool! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

McGoofy
11-07-2007, 05:02 AM
I am so happy for you, and jealous! I enjoyed hearing about it first hand! I hope I will be able to see the commercial!

If you see it, will you record it for me and also let me know that it is airing? We never watch ESPN. I know...how ironic is that? We may have to watch it a little more now to see if we see the commercial!:mickey:

Figgyluv03
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Congrats to you and your family! The pictures turned out great, and Donovan is a great person. He and my dad were getting the oil changed in their trucks at the same time, and my dad got a chance to talk to him, and said that's he's very down to earth.

As fars using him in the commercial, it ***** for us Eagles fans, 'cause we arent' even coming close this year to going to the Super Bowl. This is one of the worst years we've had in a really long time.

Kairi_7378
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
What a fantastic time you are having! The commercial sounds really cool and so does the Halloween party! I'm glad you were able to dress up for the party. Loved the pictures of you drinking with your fangs.

As far as McNabb goes ... too bad that being in a Super Bowl commerical will be as close as he comes to a Super Bowl. :thedolls:

The Eagles were in the Superbowl in 2004 and McNabb was the QB.

Goofy Pluto
11-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Don't let the crazy Philadelphia Eagles fans find out about this. They're already calling for him to be benched with his poor outings. And not being 100% concentrated on football the week of a Cowboys game will be deemed inexcusable. Granted I'm one of thew few Eagles fans who says the man has earned a lifetime pass with 4 straight NFC championship games. But I'm in the minority. Sounds like it was a good time! Can't wait to see the commercial.

:mad:

Sorry! You found one!

Glad to know our starting QB was in WDW the week before the Cowboys game and then he went out and played as poorly as he did.

I'm not one of those typical Eagles fans who thinks Andy Reid should be fired (no way!) or McNabb needs to go (Absolutely not!) but these things should be done during bye weeks or the off season. Not during the week when he should be preparing for what was one of the biggest games of the season.

Ian
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
The Eagles were in the Superbowl in 2004 and McNabb was the QB.I'm aware ... I meant in the future ...

wdwnomad
11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I thought the Eagles had Mondays off? The 30th was on a Tuesday. That means he missed practice to shot the commerical.

Iluvpooh
11-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey-I was looking at some of your other pictures. If that is you guys dressed as Marie and The Count, We saw you on our way out. I remember thinking,"How is that girl going to walk around all night with that wig on and those shoes." Hope you guys had a great time.

I am so mad about the Christmas decorations at MGM, we were there on OCtober 28th and nothing was up. I wish I could have seen some.

Congrats on the commercial-It looks fun. Did you happen to meet a very tall good looking cameraman with a gotee?

McGoofy
11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey-I was looking at some of your other pictures. If that is you guys dressed as Marie and The Count, We saw you on our way out. I remember thinking,"How is that girl going to walk around all night with that wig on and those shoes." Hope you guys had a great time.

I am so mad about the Christmas decorations at MGM, we were there on OCtober 28th and nothing was up. I wish I could have seen some.

Congrats on the commercial-It looks fun. Did you happen to meet a very tall good looking cameraman with a gotee?

No, we weren't Marie & the Count, but they are very good friends of ours. Chances are we were with them if you saw them on your way out. We were the vampiress and vampire. Yes, her shoes were crazy. In fact, she left after the 10:30 parade because her feet her so bad. Did you see us on Main Street? I wonder if you are in the background of any of my pictures. We took lots that I didn't post.

As for cameraman, I'm not sure. I posted all of the pictures that I had from the commercial. How do you know the camera man?

Iluvpooh
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
A friend of mine lives in Celebration-He is a cameraman for ESPN. They get all the benefits that "regular" disney employees do. I guess ABC people do too, but I'm not sure. I also don't know if he worked the commercial-just asking. I might call him about it.

We went to the OCt,30th party,
We were leaving MK on the 31st and I forgot to get something out of my locker.-I saw you guys standing right inside the turnstyles. I was going to take a picture, of Marie, but I though it would be rude so I didn't.

amorillo
11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Talk about being in the right place at the right time! How cool! Great pics!!

magicofdisney
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
That is super cool! Congratulations. :mickey:

wedway76
11-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Great pictures!!!

I've seen McNabb do several interviews and he seems like a real good guy, the kind of guy you can't help but root for. I hope he breaks out of his current funk. He should win one less game than the Giants every year.

castlegirl
11-09-2007, 10:10 PM
As an Eagles fan and a Disney fan...this is very cool! What a great experience for your family! Your photos are great!

LibertyTreeGal
11-10-2007, 07:06 AM
DANG.... that's one serious hunk of cotton candy!!!

That's really cool! But I wouldn't have said yes unless I got to stand next to Big Ben or Hines Ward.... since they are going to be in the Superbowl THIS YEAR :thumbsup:

McGoofy
11-10-2007, 10:02 AM
DANG.... that's one serious hunk of cotton candy!!!

That's really cool! But I wouldn't have said yes unless I got to stand next to Big Ben or Hines Ward.... since they are going to be in the Superbowl THIS YEAR :thumbsup:

:silly::laughing: That's cute.

Hey....we're not picky at all. In fact, we didn't even know who was in the commercial or what it was even for before we agreed, and we all said "YES!!!!!":yay: After we said yes, they pulled us aside behind the roped off area. That's when they told us the who and the what!! I don't care who was in it really. It was a very fun unique experience. I'm just hoping that I get to see the commercial.

Thanks for all the nice things all of you have said. If anybody sees this commercial and remembers about me, please let me know when it starts to air!!! Thanks!

Kairi_7378
11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm aware ... I meant in the future ...

I agree with you there, Ian! I also agree with Goofy Pluto that the commercial could have been shot at a better time of the year. I wonder if Donovan had trouble making ADR's :secret:

chrisb26
11-10-2007, 12:33 PM
wow thats awesome we where at MGM that day and saw them filming but couldn't figure out what it was they where actually filming thats very cool!:thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
11-11-2007, 08:51 PM
What a great magical surprise.

meandmydog1
11-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Why would you think Christmas lights would be up and running on October 28? I find that odd that someone would expect that but then again I could be missing something......

mrsgaribaldi
11-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Excellent:thumbsup:
I hope I see it:mickey:

McGoofy
11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Why would you think Christmas lights would be up and running on October 28? I find that odd that someone would expect that but then again I could be missing something......

:confused: I didn't say anything about expecting Christmas lights to be up.:confused:

LibertyTreeGal
11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
:confused: I didn't say anything about expecting Christmas lights to be up.:confused:

Iluvpooh said it -- but the poster didn't quote so it was confusing. I had to go back onto page one of the thread just to figure out what was being referenced.

Figgyluv03
11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I guess the little vaca that Donovan had paid off during yesterdays game! That past to Westbrook was awesome and that touchdown.....WOW!!!!!! I'm surprise the police didn't show up the firehouse for the noise my boys were creating!!!!! ha ha!

Iluvpooh
11-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I wasn't expecting them to be up, I was just a little upset that they put them up 2 days later and I missed them. I will not be back to see them this year, so it would have been a nice to see them up.

McGoofy
11-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Well...it's been a few weeks now...

A friend of mine just sent me the following e-mail:

"I just saw the Donovan McNabb Disney commercial on EspnNews. It is a promo for ESPN The Weekend at Disney (Feb.29-Mar.3). Unfortunately, I ran it in super slow-mo and we could not find any of you in any of the shots. Bummmers. It was a cute commercial though."

That's strange. There were 5 people in our party. We were all placed in different places and not one of us ended up in the commercial. I thought for sure that my husband and our friend would be in it since they were standing directly behind the 2 ESPN announcers.

Also, the CM told us that it was a Super Bowl promo commercial. Apparently, that was incorrect! I have to admit, we did wonder why ESPN would be running Super Bowl promos since that's not the channel it will be on. Oh well, so much for my acting career. That's 2 1/2 hours of my Disney day that I will never get back, but it was fun.

Jeff
12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Very cool!:thumbsup:

Iluvpooh
12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry. I'll bet the memories are worth the 2 hours of time.

LibertyTreeGal
12-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Just got back from the world last night and I saw the commercial while I was there -- no cotton candy or Mickey's the size of a small child :( but since I don't know all of your faces, can't say who made it into the commercial

dumbo ears
12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
thats really cool. id love to meet him.