PDA

View Full Version : You Just Know They'll Have a Bad Time....

MidnTPK
11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm sure we all know folks who just won't enjoy WDW. They like aimlessly walking around city streets looking in shop windows, going to dirty outdoor markets, and visiting places that are inconvenient and have no bathrooms (I'm thinking of my in-laws). Fortunately, most of these types of folks realize that WDW just isn't for them....and for most it would be a silly exercise to try to convince them otherwise.

Then sometimes, on these message boards, I see a different species from who is destined to have a bad time, but who doesn't know it yet. They ask questions like "can I buy a 3 day ticket and have my 3 kids use it all on one day" or "we're staying off-site and don't want to get up early during a holiday week...do you think it will be crowded when we get there..and we only want to go to the parks on 2 days but see absolutely everything" or "should I buy our tickets on e-Bay?"

So this leads me to a question: do those of us who know how to enjoy WDW have a duty to intervene and put them on the right track, or is this something that must be experienced to be understood?

And if we ought to intervene, what are some other classic questions that are an indicator someone is heading toward a miserable vacation because of their starting perspective on a WDW vacation?

And I don't mean to be making fun of people here....I just get annoyed when people roll their eyes and consider a WDW vacation a chore. If they'd just started with the right strategy or perspective, they would have had a wonderful time.

illini
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Geee, I have no earthly idea what you're talking about! :thedolls:

As for the "duty" part, I just put out feelers. I give some light advice and see how it's taken. Sometimes they'll ask (or beg, even!) for more info, and other times I know that they just don't want to hear it. Fine by me. Just means they won't go back, so they won't be adding to the crowds in the future. :mickey:

As for question, let's see. How often do the busses run from All Stars/pickyourdisneyresort to Universal? How much do FastPasses cost? We'll swing by the castle and see if we can eat breakfast there. (OK, I admit that I *always* comment on that one-- or at least laugh hysterically, depending on the speaker's attitude.)

I know there are a gazillion more, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. Can't wait to read the replies to this one!

faline
11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Those of use who have been fortunate enough to visit Disney World a number of times have become experienced at how to do a number of things that are confusing or unknown to those who have never visited or who have visited infrequently.

Just because someone doesn't know all the ins and outs of Disney World does not mean they are destined to not have a good time during their visit.

Additionally, answering questions for those who are seeking information is what we do here at Intercot! There's nothing wrong with not knowing something and asking about it.

Even with all of the times I have been to Disney World, I still find new information here on Intercot!

I'm also very happy to answer questions posed by folks if I know the answer.

We're here to share our knowledge and love of Disney World!

eam
11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
The ones that amaze me are the ones that tell me they went to Disney once (15 years ago) and it was so expensive they would never go back. To which I reply, au contraire, it's not any more expensive than any other place, if you plan it correctly. I have been going to Disney since March, 1972, fell in love with it then and have never changed.
As Faline stated, you can always learn more, especially since there are now great sites like Intercot. My friend Charley, had never been a Disney freak until I showed him how wonderful it could be. Now we count down the weeks, plan and visit Intercot several times a week. He always asks me what interesting things are posted each day.
So, I like to think that there is hope for everyone, although there are always going to be some people that just don't get it. So sad.

c&d
11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I think what happens to a lot of people who go to Disney is they don’t realize that there is planning involved which is why some people don’t have a good time. I know on many of our vacations we get to our destination and go with the flow, but I think Disney is one where you do need to plan ahead more so today than in the past. You need to make reservations for your meals, walking into a restaurant just doesn’t happen these days. I also think people get overwhelmed by the amount of things to do at Disney that they start stressing about wanting to do and see everything, which just isn’t going to happen on one trip.

As far as helping I know the first time we went my brother told me about the E-ride nights and how great they were, if he hadn’t told us we wouldn’t have bothered with doing e-ride nights. I like being able to answer questions that people have, I know I’ve asked a bunch over the years. Around my office, at DS’s school and even and DH’s work anyone with questions about Disney comes to me. I’ll answer as many as they have and if I can’t I point them here.

I think Disney is like any other vacation, if you can help someone have a better time at their destination you should help them.

disneymom15
11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Perfectly put Faline. I agree, just because someone asks questions (silly as they may be) will most likely end up loving WDW. It's only natural to ask questions. There's still many, many things I don't know about Disney (more than 25 visits since 95), and I know that someone on this board will answer it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm sure we all know folks who just won't enjoy WDW. They like aimlessly walking around city streets looking in shop windows, going to dirty outdoor markets, and visiting places that are inconvenient and have no bathrooms (I'm thinking of my in-laws). Fortunately, most of these types of folks realize that WDW just isn't for them....and for most it would be a silly exercise to try to convince them otherwise.

Then sometimes, on these message boards, I see a different species from who is destined to have a bad time, but who doesn't know it yet. They ask questions like "can I buy a 3 day ticket and have my 3 kids use it all on one day" or "we're staying off-site and don't want to get up early during a holiday week...do you think it will be crowded when we get there..and we only want to go to the parks on 2 days but see absolutely everything" or "should I buy our tickets on e-Bay?"

So this leads me to a question: do those of us who know how to enjoy WDW have a duty to intervene and put them on the right track, or is this something that must be experienced to be understood?

And if we ought to intervene, what are some other classic questions that are an indicator someone is heading toward a miserable vacation because of their starting perspective on a WDW vacation?

And I don't mean to be making fun of people here....I just get annoyed when people roll their eyes and consider a WDW vacation a chore. If they'd just started with the right strategy or perspective, they would have had a wonderful time. :(I know there are some people out there who are just very negative or looking for something for nothing, but I really think the majority are suffering from ignorance. I know I did not know what to expect at all the first time I came to Disney World and even after two trips, I am learning things from Intercot that I wouldn't have had a clue about if it wasn't for the great people on this site. I love this site!!!:D:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I think what happens to a lot of people who go to Disney is they don’t realize that there is planning involved which is why some people don’t have a good time. I know on many of our vacations we get to our destination and go with the flow, but I think Disney is one where you do need to plan ahead more so today than in the past. You need to make reservations for your meals, walking into a restaurant just doesn’t happen these days. I also think people get overwhelmed by the amount of things to do at Disney that they start stressing about wanting to do and see everything, which just isn’t going to happen on one trip.

As far as helping I know the first time we went my brother told me about the E-ride nights and how great they were, if he hadn’t told us we wouldn’t have bothered with doing e-ride nights. I like being able to answer questions that people have, I know I’ve asked a bunch over the years. Around my office, at DS’s school and even and DH’s work anyone with questions about Disney comes to me. I’ll answer as many as they have and if I can’t I point them here.

I think Disney is like any other vacation, if you can help someone have a better time at their destination you should help them. :confused: Okay, perfect example of what this site is about. What is an e-ride?

caryrae
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
:confused: Okay, perfect example of what this site is about. What is an e-ride?

I think it was an earlier version of what is now called EMH. The park was open 3 hours later but only certain rides were open. (e-rides = most popular rides).

E-Ride Nights

E-Ride Nights are an exclusive "private party" in the Magic Kingdom for a limited number of Walt Disney World Resort Guests with Multi-Day Passes.

Please note: E-Ride Nights have not been offered since August, 2004. The Extra Magic Hours program was introduced in January, 2005. More details here.

During an E-Ride Night, some of the most popular attractions are open to ride as often as you like including Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, The Haunted Mansion, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Mickey's PhilharMagic & Peter Pan's Flight. Of course, selected gift shops and food/beverage establishments are open as well.

What you do.... Purchase a ticket at Guest Services at your resort. Exchange your ticket for a E-Nights wristband at any of the following Magic Kingdom locations any time after 4pm on the day of the E-Ride Night: City Hall, Tomorrowland Arcade and Splashdown Photo.

The E-Ride Night runs for 3 hours after scheduled closing of the Magic Kingdom. Only guests with E-Ride Night wrist bands will be allowed in the park at this time.

mudpuppysmom
11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure we have all heard at one time or another in our lives:

You learn something new every day.

I think this is the case with a WDW vacation also. Each trip is different, if it was not, would we go back time and time again......each trip we take is not a carbon copy!

I enjoy having new things happen that I have not planned into our day. I use our plan as more of a guide and even when we are there I find myself asking CM's questions as to where something is or how can we do something (if we can do it at all).

I think that many of the vets are, and don't flame me, but are "disney damaged" as some people here in Pgh say. When people find out how often we go, they ask "HOW can you afford to go so much!" I simply tell them that with planning, they too can take their kids! One of our friends STILL insists that there is nowhere on property that will fit their family of 5 (she says a travel agent told her this) -- when in fact many of us know this is not the case. I tell people we are fortunate enough to stay at the military hotel and have offered to sponsor a room for them too. We are also fortunate enough to buy tickets at a discount there also. We have not always stayed at SOG though, we have stayed on property a couple of times and enjoyed it, but SOG feels like home to me (I know how to get there and all the parks, so I feel comfortable there).

I think is should try to impart our knowledge on the ones that are asking for help and for the greater good let them see how much fun planning can be!!

Just my 2 cents.......

NJGIRL
11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
IMO any vacation (not just Disney) needs alot of planning. Reading and researching a destination that you are going to gives you an idea what there is to do and how much time you will need to do it. This in turn makes for a more pleasant vacation and assures that you don't get home and realize that you missed something that you might have liked to do.

I don't take offense that some people don't like Disney. There is nothing wrong with that and there is nothing wrong with getting out and seeing the rest of the world either. I'm not a "sit on the beach for seven days" kind of person but I see nothing wrong with people who do like to do that.

Alot of people I know don't like Disney but plan a vacation there at least once to take the kids. Believe me those people still want to have a good time especially for the kids. No one wants to throw away a couple thousand dollars and not walk away with a good time. Whenever someone I know is going who hasn't been there before, I will give them tips. I will do whatever it takes to help them have a good time and not become frustrated.

MsMin
11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
An "E" ride is a big ride like POC or HM etc. Not the Main Street Trolly:D Years ago when I was a kid they had tickets for rides and the "big" rides took "E" Tickets. For example a "d" ticket was Flight to Mars and the People mover and Peter Pan and Dumbo were "c" tickets. No my memory isn't that great I'm reading a copy of an old ticket in my computer :D
Back to the OP-- I try to tell ppl about my experience and let them make their own decision.
I do agree w/ Faline. Just because they are misinformed doesn't mean it will spoil the trip. It could be reason to return or something you laugh about for years to come making magical memories. As someone mentioned to me the other day about sitting on the bus to AK and the family next to them was planning to ride Peter Pan??? Many ppl can laugh at themselves.
I heard a good one the other day. My parents treated my mom's childhood friend to WDW in 1999 for their first time in their late 60's. She called the other day and said a friend from church told her they went to EPCOT last week and it was closed. It still baffles me how someone could fly in from San Antonio and think EPCOT was closed. Maybe they were talking of SE?

IloveJack
11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
The ones that amaze me are the ones that tell me they went to Disney once (15 years ago) and it was so expensive they would never go back. To which I reply, au contraire, it's not any more expensive than any other place, if you plan it correctly. I have been going to Disney since March, 1972, fell in love with it then and have never changed.

I agree with this. I've been amazed at the amount of money some people spend, and then swear they'll never return. My family is a good example. My parents took my bro and me in 1998 for 4 days, with 2 days in US (IOA didn't exist then), and drove the entire trip. It cost them a whopping $6000!
Two years later, after learning how to plan a trip to WDW, I went with my BFF and DB. We flew, and spent 3 days in WDW. It cost us each $600. The difference: planning.
Right before my dh and I went this summer, I found out that some of our friends were going two weeks before us. I put out some "feelers" to find out how much they had planned. Her answers went something like this... "We're staying in a timeshare; We've got it rented for a month, so we'll just pick a destination each day and go there; I think US/IOA will take more time than WDW; It's just the MK, right?; Oh, we'll just eat whatever we can find each day." I started to give advice, but that lasted about two minutes, as I noticed she wasn't very accepting.
Oh well. Then again, dh's BFF's dw (:confused: :blush:) has told me that when they get ready to take their kid to WDW, they're calling me to be their travel agent!

mjm12000
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I think part of the key to convincing people that they can have a great affordable time at WDW or Disneyland is to first find out what they are expeceting out of a vacation. I think we all have very different ideas of what we like to do and how and when and who with. I know it takes tons of planning to do and see as much as one can, but not everyone enjoys planning vacations. Many people simply want to go and wander and lie down and soak it all in, while others want a fast passed commando style vacation. I always ask my friends who are considering a trip to the Disney parks what they are expecting to see and do, what is the feel of the vacation. Is it all about the kids, or the adults. Do they like eating, shows, rides. The key to having a great time is knowing what your expectations are and finding a way to accomidate them. So next time someone asks me what I think or how they should plan I always ask them right back, what are you expecting out of your vacation... and then we go from there. People tend to be receptive and excited if they feel they are stearing their own vacation and not just being told how and what to do by their friends who can often make it sound like if they don't plan every moment and meal that they will not enjoy the parks. You can't plan the magic in the moments they will happen when you least expect them.

CosmicRay
11-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I also want to point out that although some people are privlidged to go several times and stay at deluxe hotels. There are others that really want to take their kids and are trying to make that happen by finding out ways to cut down costs. No, you can't use a 3 day park pass for your 3 children. But it doesn't hurt to ask or they'd never know. DH and I in our early years of marriage stuggled with money, but we desperatley wanted to go back to WDW. We asked questions on intercot and we got to go plus saved money. There is never a dumb question. I think there are people who are determined to not have a good time (like my dad when he took my family to WDW when I was a kid). But I think people who come here for tips are looking to have a good time and are trying to get help.

caryrae
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Yeah i wonder what kind of trip these guys are taking that makes them think WDW trips are so much more exspensive. We are taking a week long trip to the Florida keys and Everglades and it costs about the same or maybe even more then a week long WDW vacation, one reason is because of all the driving and gas we will need. With Disney you don't need to rent a car, or find transportation to and from the airport. Look at a the entertainmnet you get for the price of the park tickets, great rides, great shows, even the little shows just walking around.

illini
11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
OK, now I'm feeling *really* guilty about my first post in this thread.

I wasn't in ANY way talking about people who come online to research their vacation. I would ~never~ laugh at a question or think bad of someone for that. I only want to help-- that's why I'm here. I've asked my share of "dumb" questions before. People who are taking the time to come online and ask the questions *are* going to have a great vacation and deserve any help they ask for.

I'm talking about those people IRL who don't want to hear any advice, then go on and on about everything they "know." Or the ones who ask for advice, and get huffy when they don't like the answer.

I don't think the OP meant anything bad, either. Perhaps neither of us worded things quite right.

Really, I'm not as cold-hearted as my post made me sound! Sorry!!!

brownie
11-06-2007, 01:45 PM

It refers to "the ultimate in thrills" (Dave Smith, Disney A to Z 3rd edition, p.210). Disneyland sold ticket books that originally had 3 types of tickets, A, B, and C. A D ticket was added in 1956 and the E ticket was added in 1959. The most exciting attractions required an E ticket, hence the term an "E ticket ride" continues to be used to describe the best attractions at Disney parks.

brownie
11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
The whole point of Intercot is to share information and experiences regarding Disney World and other things Disney. I believe we have a responsibility to help each other out in a respectful way, and to answer questions and give positively constructed feedback.

c&d
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM

The best part of E-ride nights was that it was limited to a certain amount of people so there were never really long lines at any of the rides. I remember it being crowded for the first hour or so, but after that there were really no lines. Now we've found 20 min waits near the end of EMH hours.

It was the best $10 ever spent.

mousetrapper
11-06-2007, 02:16 PM
My favorites are when they say WDW is way too expensive, the food isn't any good and "there's only Magic Kingdom, and that's for little kids."

These people are so far out of touch with the WDW of today, it's almost not worth trying to bring them over into the light.

My husband was one of those people...before our first trip as a family he said, "I don't want to waste any time going to anywhere in WDW other than Magic Kingdom. Epcot isn't worth the time." He didn't realize how great Epcot is and didn't even know about Studios and AK!

For him and others like him, sometimes the only thing that works is for them to experience it for themselves.

Then there are people like my MIL who just wandered around and didn't care for the crowds, didn't like to eat in the restaurants, etc. - WDW simply wasn't her cup of tea.

I do feel sorry for those folks!

MidnTPK
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
While this thread was interesting, it got off the track of what I was trying to discuss.

My point was that certain questions are an indicator of a certain attitude toward or ignaorance of a WDW vacation. These questions often are subtly or tangentially looking for the cheapest or fastest way to do something without considering how it will impact a vacation.

And I totally understand doing things as inexpensively as possible....but sometimes those types of decisions ruin what would otherwise be a fun vacation. For example if someone wants to do everything possible in three days, they're setting themselves up for a disappointment....shouldn't we intervene and say: 'hey buddy, if you do things the way your planning, you might as well stay home'.

What started this was that I saw several different posts from a new member on separate message boards. Putting them together, I know this person is not going to enjoy WDW....he's not going to WDW for long enough and is trying to do US, IOA and SW. All in five days. His questions showed he was just trying to check a few things off his list of things that he thought he had to research.

Well those questions were totally the wrong questions to ask. We could give him the right answers to his specific questions but that really wouldn't be helping him - it's just furthering him down an already mistaken path.

Tink#64
11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
These people totally freak me out!:jaw:

When someone tells me that they or a friend of theirs is leaving for WDW tomorrow & what should they do - I am speechless!:ack:

I'm supposed to be able to explain the vast choices in a sentence or two? This is so foreign to me becuase I'm a HUGE planer. It's what I do. I LOVE to plan. Especially WDW trips. I've helped several family & friends. But when I hear those people that say "Oh we don't plan, we're spontaneous", I'm thinkg, "Yeah & you're going to come back saying how your trip was OK, glad you did it, but you won't be goin back".

Some of us a are planners, some aren't. But to go to someplace as huge as WDW with no knowledge of what your options even are, I think is a complete waste of money. I know I'm over the top on planning, (sometimes we ditch the plan ok, but we still know what else there is to do when we change our minds) but I can't imagine spending all that money & not having a clue . One family we know decided to buy tix at the last minute & were going to visit 4 parks in 3 days, + DTD! This with 3 kids 10 & under in tow, & staying off property. These same people decided about 2 weeks prior to trip to make adr's, they finally bought a guide book when other friends returned & told of their trip. Back to story, they made 3 adr's, all in Epcot! I told my DH that I didn't have a clue what they were going to do except eat in Epcot WS 3 different days! :funny:

Post trip, they say they had a good time, but they'll be going back to the beach next year. :crazy:

heidi614
11-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I've always planned! Down to Parade times, days were, ADR way ahead, coordinating those ADR for which park etc. I think most people here do. We met friends last year at a unbusy time. Met up with them at noon, they had been there four hours and rode 2 rides! Back to my point of doing one area at a time, otherwise you spend most of your time walking around getting side tracked. We took them with us and they were amazed at how much we got done. They had No ADR, and were very disappointed. No clue! They said if they wouldn't of met up with us, they probably wouldn't have had such a great time! I think that is the nicest thing about this sight, is people that don't know, might get a clue here! Just emailed this sight to a friend that doesn't have a clue! :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
11-08-2007, 01:29 PM
This thread is great! Since we've been a few times, we get the same reaction. Most people that have not been there cannot equate Disney to BIG park. We got an interesting fact from a bus driver - he said that the entire park in California (I think it was excluding Dreaming)and it's parking lot would fit into the parking lot alone of the MK in Florida. Cool perspective!
We are fortunate to be able to go for two weeks each time we've gone, and still end up running around because there is so much to do there.:cloud9:
I like to break it down to my park-a-day theory when I get asked about Florida - Universal 2 days; wdw - 6 days(including Waterparks); Kennedy - 1 day; Seaworld - 1 day; Busch Gardens 1 day; etc. And if I did a trip like that,at that pace, I'd pretty much be tired, cranky and footsore . . . . and yes, still not see it all!
Some people will never understand until they get there. I didn't - but I'm lovin it now!!:mickey:

EPCOT84
11-08-2007, 11:36 PM
We got an interesting fact from a bus driver - he said that the entire park in California (I think it was excluding Dreaming)and it's parking lot would fit into the parking lot alone of the MK in Florida. Cool perspective!

Actually the quoted comparison is the entire original Disneyland Park in Anaheim could fit in the parking lot of Epcot.

In any case, yes, many folks think MK is Disney World. They can't fathom how expansive the place is and say how can someone spend a week (goodness, think nothing of two weeks) there. I have intervened to sometimes help friends and co-workers to convince them to structure their Florida trip a bit more realistically.

Lke the original poster on this thread saw with someone, the person was booking too many activities, looking to see what to cut out, and probably would not even know how to enjoy any of them. The schedule was too aggressive.

Here's what I say to those who try to fit in too much: remember Orlando, as most of us know it, was, to paraphrase our buddy Uncle Walt, all started by a mouse. Anything else is piggybacking on what Uncle Walt's legacy envisioned and built for the Lake Buena Vista area. Try just WDW. See what draws people from around the world.

I remember some co-workers coming back and 'converted' into Disneyholics. They take the cruises, go back many times. Maybe some of them are here in Intercot now.

:figment: