PDA

View Full Version : Probably one of my worst mornings....

DisneyDudet
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
OK. I am sitting here, at home, when I should be at a meeting. Why? Well, let me tell you...

We have monthly unit staff meetings every month now. So, today was the morning meeting, and tomorrow is the evening meeting. You can go to one or the other. Well, it made sense for me to go to the morning one today, so that was my plan.

I was hanging out with my best friend at her house, and was pretty tired. I decided to crash at her place, and go to the meeting from there. So, I get up early (super early) and get ready (luckily, I had enough make up to get me through!). I leave earlier than I wanted to get some Starbucks and donuts. I get my Starbucks, White Chocolate Mocha and then stop by my favorite donut chain (Shipley's) and get some donut holes. I call up at work to see where the meeting is, so I arrive at the hospital, and park at the entrance closest to the meeting room. I'm sitting in the car, listening to the radio and decide to head it. So, I pick up my coffee and my purse and open my door. All of a sudden, POP! My coffee cup explodes with hot coffee all over me and my car! Now, this is rather embarrassing to admit, but I get out of the car, jeans SOAKED. I look at my seat, and there's a pool of coffee in it. Luckily, I had some towels I was going to donate in my trunk. I get them out and try to sop it up as much as possible. I have to wipe off the console and steering wheel, because those were covered too.

I look all over for some scrub pants, so I could go to the meeting somehow, and nothing. I couldn't even get into Wal Mart looking how I did to buy something cheap. I was just so soaking wet. My pants were soaked, front and back from my waist to my knees. It was absolutely horrible. Now, I don't know if I can make it to tomorrow's meeting. I wanted to meet with my supervisor today to discuss some issues, and they knew I was coming, but I can't call them and tell them what happened!

All I can do, is try to go to tomorrow's meeting.

I took some Woolite spray to my seat, and I think its going to be ok. I'm leaving the windows open so it can dry and air out.

How bad was this!? I mean, I got up WAY early for nothing. I just want to cry!

MNNHFLTX
11-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry that you're having such a bad morning. Over the years, I've had a couple of similar incidents where I went into work wearing my cup of coffee, so I know what an uncomfortable start to a day that is.

If I might ask, why can't you call your supervisor and explain what happened and see if you can beg off tomorrow night's meeting? At all the hospitals I've worked at, while staff meetings are considered mandatory, our job descriptions specify a minimum number of meetings that must be attended (for example, in my current job we must attend 9 out of 12 meetings). You can always review the minutes after the fact, I'm sure.

PirateLover
11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Morgan, I'm so sorry you had such a bad morning. :(I hope you can work everything out with your boss. But, on the positive side, at least the coffee wasn't hot enough to burn you. I was an idiot and spilled hot soup on myself once. It landed on my thighs and I got 2nd degree burns. Definitely not fun!

MsMin
11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Sorry you had such a bad morning. As much coffee as I've juggled, even w/ a standard transmission I've been fortunate not to have a morning like yours. Hope the evening meeting works out for you. :pixie:

SBETigg
11-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Goodness, what a thing to happen! Sorry. That is a bummer. I hope it passes and you end up having a really good day! :pixie:

Ian
11-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh boy ... what a rotten morning! I'm sorry that happened to you, Morgan. At least you weren't hurt or anything. Hopefully, you can get the coffee out of your car seat.

I like the suggestion to call your supervisor and explain what happened. Maybe you could get a one on one at a minimum, so you'd have a chance to address your concerns.

If it makes you feel any better, I once had a big meeting that I had to travel to Newark for. It was an all-hands meeting that included, among other folks, our Departmental V.P. and other big wigs.

I took a train up in the morning and got in a little early, so I stopped at one of the little kiosks in Gateway Center and got some coffee. Well as I was sitting down, I must have grabbed the cup too tightly and I just crushed it. All the coffee spilled out all over my white dress shirt!

So I had to run around Newark at like 8:30AM and track down a new shirt to wear to the meeting. Not one of my finer moments.

So see, you're not the only one!

murphy1
11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh, no, glad you weren't hurt, that could have been a bad burn. This kind of stuff happens all the time, anyone would understand, really. It happens even more when you have kids!

SteveL
11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Been there, done that, and got that tee shirt too many times.
I finally learned the hard way and keep a clean white shirt and a pair of Dockers sealed in a plastic bag in the trunk. Numerous ties hang on the back of my office door, just in case, and I keep a couple Tide pens in my desk. I just make a point of sniffing the Tide pens now to see if they stink before I use them.

murphy1
11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I also love Publix baby wipes (it's a grocery store in the South). They work on everything. Believe me, I have had to wipe baby poo and pee off my clothes LOL

Shari

LibertyTreeGal
11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh my gosh -- I'm so glad you weren't burned!!! What a rotten thing to happen!

DisneyDudet
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your concern everyone! I really appreciate it.

I think it is going to pan out that I will be able to make the meeting tomorrow night, so that is good. I have missed too many meetings, so I have to attend them each month now.

I think the seat is ok, and I washed my clothes as soon as I got home. They'll understand at work. Besides, they won't even know I'm missing. I tell them to call me all the time, and they never do. Plus, no one takes the minutes. We're ghetto like that. We've told them it would be nice if we had them for those who can't attend, but you see how that goes.

My day is much better now! I am working on my Disneyland Paris trip, so what can be better!?

Dsnygirl
11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Morgan, I'm glad to hear your day got a little better (well, planning for DL Paris? Okay, more than a little... :)) I've done the same as you, although not on my way to a staff meeting, as I usually just go to the ones after my shift. (And not often, so I completely understand the need to get to one... :blush:) I'm sure your supervisor would understand if you explained, but as you think you'll be able to make it tomorrow, no big deal. Have a better night tonight, okay??

SteveL
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
When my Starbucks cup collapsed, like yours, I didn't really care about the burn. I was more concerned with my car seat.
I noticed that the new store manager had switched to using only single cups, probably to save a few cents and make her P&L look better, and I think that because my drink was so hot that it weakened the cup.
Now I insist on a double cup if a newbie tries putting it in a single cup.
I also sent Starbucks an email and gave them what-for.
I got a $50 gift card from them.

Terra
11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I also love Publix baby wipes (it's a grocery store in the South). They work on everything. Believe me, I have had to wipe baby poo and pee off my clothes LOL

Shari

Oh boy do I know that feeling! LOL

Goodness! It really is good that you were not burned like a PP mentioned!!!

Sorry it made you miss the meeting though!
I bet the woolite will work good on your car!

Belle619
11-07-2007, 02:43 PM
It must have been a bad coffee day - I spilled my whole cup on myself around 9am yesterday - just about time when I head up to clinic to start seeing patients. It went all over my office; the chair, my keyboard, the floor.

:surf:

I feel your pain!

Ed
11-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Arrrggghhhh..... what a morning you had! :coffee:

Maybe this will bring you a smile.

About a hundred years ago when I was a police officer, I was dashboard dining one evening when a really hot emergency call came in. Not thinking, I threw on the lights and siren and popped the car into drive and took off.

Did I mention that I totally forgot about that big strawberry milkshake I had on the dashboard? :confused:

The operative word there is "had". :blush:

I spent the rest of the shift trying to explain to people why I was wearing a shirt that resembled a vanilla/strawberry twist cone...

Hope your future commutes go a little more smoothly.

:laundry: