PDA

View Full Version : Imaginative (long!)

Savvy
11-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey everyone :)

Ok, so a week ago my English teacher assigned us an Imaginative paper, and told us to write about whatever we wanted. This is actually the story I came up with. Originally this was an idea for a full-on book, but since I needed to turn it in, and I only had a week to complete it, I was forced to cut it down significantly. This, is just a small portion of what I have actually written, but I thought, "Hey, what the heck? Let's see what other people think of it before I turn it in." So, here it is! Reviews, comments, and any thing that you think should be changed would be greatly appreciated! So, without further ado, here it is!

The Night the Moon fell from the Sky

The moon was rising, like a beacon against the inky black sky. A gentle wind blew through the willows, causing the leaves to sway softly like the flicker of a candle. All was still. At the center of the vast forest was a pond, so precise and beautifully shaped, it sent shivers down the spine. Standing across from the glassy water was a girl. The moonlight danced across her pale skin, giving it a soft glow. She was wearing nothing but a robe: a robe of such beauty, the lustful night suddenly looked dull and bland. The garment clung to her as though stuck to her very presence. It ran from her chest to the ground, exposing her shoulders to the cold. A small sheath hung around her waist. She was completely still, save her eyes, which were scanning the landscape. A wolf howled nearby, but she stood firm and unmoving. Several minutes passed. The moon rose to the center of the sky, her eyes watching it carefully. Then suddenly, a bright light filled the woods, illuminating the small pond. The beam seemed to be coming from the girl herself, yet when one looked closer, the light was actually emitting from a small stone that hung from her neck. She sighed, touching the small amulet. “It is time.”

Her eyes fell to the pond, a shiver running down her spine. For once in her life she was scared, scared of the unknown. The wind picked up, her hair flying out after it, as though it longed to go too. Trembling slightly, she took a step, then another. Her destiny had brought her here. She knew the prophecy had to be fulfilled. She was now at the foot of the pond. Her eyes went hazy, her mind spiraling back to that moment: the moment she had been chosen. She had been practicing the piano when her father called her down.

“Luna! Come down here!”

Luna groaned, slammed her hands down on the keys, and stalked downstairs, her impatience leading the way. Her footsteps brought her to the kitchen. Pushing open the door, her eyes caught sight of her mother, father, and a very old man all seated around the table. Her mind went into overdrive, analyzing every inch of this man that she could. He was very old from the look of it, at least 200 years. Wrinkles covered his body as though he was going to be consumed by them. His eyes caught hers. There was something unusual about him, something Luna could not quite grasp.

He chuckled and broke contact with her, turning to her parents who looked quite shocked. “Her senses are already highly efficient. She will learn quickly,” he informed them before returning his gaze to Luna. “You,” he said, pointing a gnarled finger at her. “I sense great power in you.”

Luna’s brow creased. Who was this old man and why was he speaking to her this way? She crossed her arms self-consciously and moved slowly into the kitchen. He watched her every step of the way, analyzing her as she had him. It was not until she had pulled up a chair between her parents (who looked like they were going to cry), that he once again spoke.

“Do you know what this is?” he asked, indicating his hand which was clasped around a small necklace. It was solid silver, with a delicate chain, and a small light blue
stone inlaid to the center. She shook her head. “This,” he said dramatically, “is the Dimire. A powerful sub- no, the MOST powerful substance on earth. It is a stone made from diamond and sapphire, the two purest stones of them all.” His eyes locked with hers for a moment, then he continued. “You see,” he began, “One thousand years ago our land was in turmoil. Darkness overtook everything we valued. Kings, queens, knights, and warlords: all were destroyed. And at the base of all this terror was Greyvand, a powerful sorcerer, deeply practiced in the dark arts. He tore apart everything good and whole in this world. He ruled our people for over 600 years.” The old man’s voice shook slightly, his eyes filled with malice. “There were many uprisings, but none prevailed. It was not until a small group of soldiers about your age broke through his defenses and charged Greyvand. He destroyed all but one, a young woman. She killed him in a single blow. However, the power generated between them was too great, and she died in the process. Now the thing is, they both died at the exact same moment, each in their most powerful state. This resounding burden on them both was so powerful that their bodies vanished and in their place lay this small stone.” He indicated the small necklace. “The diamond half is Greyvand’s power and the sapphire’s, the young girl’s.

“For years it went unnoticed, until thirty years ago, on this very day, it was found. On that same day, a prophecy was written. Now this prophecy stated that in 15 years’ time, a savior would be born who would make the ultimate sacrifice and save us all from the impending darkness. This person would somehow break the bond between them and their destiny, and relinquish from us the entire burden that is sweeping the world” His voice rose dramatically at these words. “For years mathematicians, scientists, and even seers have attempted to unlock the mystery of this stone and its power, yet none have been successful. This stone belongs to the being from the prophecy. This stone,” he said, taking her hand, “belongs to you O’ great one,” and with that, he placed the small necklace in her hand. The stone felt warm against her skin and glowed brightly for a minute before returning to its natural state.

Luna was at a loss for words. She had, of course, heard the story of the Dimire, but never had she seen it, let alone touched it. Yet here it was, resting in her palm. Her hand closed around the small amulet with a tight grip, and her eyes were furiously darting around the room as though waiting for someone to say, “April Fools!” or “Just kidding!” But, alas, no one did, and Luna knew it was no joke. She looked up at the old man, her hand trembling. “B-but it c-couldn’t possibly be m-me, I mean how?” she asked, her eyes filled with terror.

The old man chuckled once more. “Rest assured Luna Solei, it is you. You are the one from the prophecy, the one who shall lead us as the darkness tries to take over once more.” Luna looked as though she was going to cry. Noticing this, the man reached for her hand, plucked the amulet delicately from her grasp, and without a second thought, dropped the necklace around her throat, and clasped it in the back. The stone glowed once more, sending shock waves that pulsed through Luna’s body. “You are the one Luna Solei. You are the one.”

His words echoed in her mind. Sniffling slightly, she wiped her eyes, refusing any tears that might fall.

Savvy
11-05-2007, 08:28 PM
But that is all in the past… Luna thought, her mind returning to the task at hand. Once again, her eyes flickered upward to the moon. The old man was dead now, but not before he had taught Luna everything she needed to know to confront the evil that was sweeping the land. He had taught her potions, incantations, swordplay, and above all; the principle of magic, something she only had dreamt about before. Most importantly he had taught her who was behind the evil attacks, Mozar, Greyvand’s son. Everything she knew, thought and felt was because of that wise, and creepy old man’s teachings. And now his lessons were about to be put to the test.

“This is it,” she said, exhaling sharply. Trembling, she raised her foot, preparing to take the plunge. She was an inch away from the water when a voice shattered the silence.

“So, this is the great defender, the amazing Dimire from the prophecy?”

Luna swung around, her sword out, eyes filled with vengeance. He’s here… Her brain just could not seem to grasp this concept. Her eyes swept the landscape, as a tall man emerged from the shadows.

The moonlight revealed him to have pale white skin, rough as sandpaper. His teeth were yellow and gritted, his eyes pure white from lack of pupils. He was taller than her, and built strong with a firm back, and bulging muscles. His black mane was pulled back into a long ponytail that fell past his shoulders. He glared at her with a look of contempt and superiority.

“Mozar,” Luna sneered back, her hands gripping the sword tightly.

“Luna Solei, how long I have waited for this moment,” he said, taking a step toward her. “This moment to regain my father’s honor. This moment to take what’s rightfully mine. This moment to crush you!” he roared, whipping a sword out of thin air. Luna had barely raised her arm to shield herself when the swords collided with a loud clunk. The pair began rapidly moving, as though in a choreographed dance. Their crossed blades echoed through the forest. One moment they were feet apart, the next, less than an inch away. Luna’s eyes widened. Wow…he’s a lot faster than I thought he would be… Hoping to make the old man proud, Luna began executing some of the most complicated maneuvers she knew. Their bodies bent in all shapes, yet neither could seem to break the other’s defense.

After several minutes, Luna’s grip on the sword became loose. She was getting tired, and the blade felt heavy in her hands. Across from her, Mozar was tiring as well. They both moved slower, yet with the same amount of fluidity and emotion. Luna panted, clutching a stitch in her side. She gulped loudly, the night air burning the back of her throat. Mozar, sensing her weakness, rammed his sword straight at her heart. Luna gasped, and held her sword up to block. He roared triumphantly as his blade cut clean through hers, like a knife through butter. The top of her sword fell to the ground, leaving a shell-shocked Luna gripping nothing but a hilt. Mozar cackled loudly.

“What now, O’ great one?”

Luna grimaced and threw the remainder of her sword to the ground. The old man had made it for her. She looked up to the man across from her. “Now?” she said thinking for a minute. “Now it is time,” She said finally.

Mozar gave her a blank stare. “Is that all?” He laughed. “Now is the time? The time for you to die perhaps!”

Luna just watched him. “Perhaps.” Taking a deep breath, she charged him, pushing him to the ground. Her feet were once again taking her to the pond. Twenty feet, 15 feet, 10 feet. She was almost there! An angry cry forced her to look over her shoulder. Mozar had jumped up and was now pursuing her at full speed. His long legs were much quicker than hers, and soon he was but a few paces away.

Her eyes widened in terror, and she returned her gaze to the water. Get to the pond… Get to the pond… Get to the pond… She heard his panting, his hot breathe licking the back of her neck, then a body crashed down on her, tackling her to the ground. The two fought for a moment, each struggling violently. Luna’s screams echoed through the forest, followed closely by Mozar’s angry cries.

“Give it to me!” he roared at her, his hands flying to her neck. Luna cried loudly, and clasped her hands to her throat, shielding the stone from his dangerous grasp. “Give it to me NOW!” He cursed her loudly, and peeled her hands roughly from the stone. In one slick motion, his hand had her arms pinned above her head, whilst the other reached for the amulet. His fist, however, had barely even touched the metal when he fell back with a strangled cry. The stone had scorched a hole clean through his hand. He swore loudly, all the color draining from his face.

Luna took advantage of this moment and threw him off. He fell like a rag doll, all his attention focused solely on his hand. Luna jumped to her feet and for the final time, made her way as fast as she could to the pond. The stone was glowing brightly against her throat, giving her skin a bluish tint. The pool came closer, and closer and with a searing cry, Luna launched herself off the grassy bank and into the water.

The icy water racked her body from head to toe. She shivered slightly and looked down. The water came up to her hip bone, exposing her waist down to the freezing cold. Luna wrapped her arms tightly around her body and made her way to the center of the pool. Her robe weighed her down, causing her to move much slower than she should have. At last she made it. “This is it,” she whispered, as though trying to reassure herself. With one final look at the bank (where Mozar was still screaming in agony) Luna stiffened and lowered her arms. She raised her gaze to the moon which was perched directly above her. Sighing, she closed her eyes and whispered, “Take me.”

A beam of light surrounded her instantaneously, and she was lifted into the air by an invisible force. The small necklace tore at her throat, lifting her higher and higher until she was 20 feet in the air. The stone began humming loudly and glowed bright blue. The chain burned Luna’s neck painfully, causing tear upon tear to stream down her face. She screamed loudly, pain pulsing through her body. The stone responded by humming faster and raising her higher still. Luna was a wreck. Each scream could be heard for miles, causing the stone to intensify. Gasping for air, Luna knew she could take no more, and desperately tried to relinquish her burden. The stone scorched her fingertips, and burned her hands. After several minutes of fumbling, her fingers found the clasp. She ripped it open with all the strength she possessed, a mighty cry escaping her lips. Instantly she found herself falling, her energy depleting, and her vision going hazy. She could see nothing but the Dimire, which was rising rapidly. The stone reached the center of the sky, and sent a blinding flash that could be seen all over the world, and then it exploded into a million pieces.

Tortured wails split the night, as evil was ripped off the face of the earth. Luna, barely conscious, fell at an alarming rate, and crashed into the water below. The pool turned into a small tsunami, with Luna at the center of all the chaos. She sank lower and lower, until she finally hit the rocky bed. Luna blinked, her vision still out of focus. Clawing her way to the surface, she broke through the water barrier with incredible force; her lungs gasping for air. Sniffling, she dragged herself onto the bank, limbs trembling, and collapsed onto a patch of grass. Tears burned her cheeks as her life slipped away. Her breathing became labored and heavy, until at last she shut her eyes, and died. The prophecy had been fulfilled.

***HINT*** Luna means moon in Spanish, which is the reason this story is called the Night the Moon fell from the sky.

TA-DA! What did you think? ;)

SBETigg
11-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Well done! Nice work. Very engaging.

My one piece of advice would be to try to avoid passive voice. For example, the first line: was rising. Change it to "the moon rose" and you are instantly making it more engaging for the reader. And "Standing across... was a girl." Go with "A girl stood." Now go through the whole thing again and watch for where you slip into passive voice, change it to active voice, and you are all set. You don't do it often, so not much to edit. Fantastic work. Congratulations!

Savvy
11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Thank you! :D
Oooo, good spotting!
I'll definantely change that!

SBETigg
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I hope you keep up with the creative writing. You have a real talent for it. Not many people are willing to show their writing to others, so you are already a few steps ahead of the game. :)

Savvy
11-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you :blush:
Now I feel all goofy inside.
Actually, that was one of the careers I had thought about pursuing, but Animating is more me.
I really like writing imaginatives though because they're a lot of fun.

Personally I blame Harry Potter for this obsession with magic.
:secret:

Beast_fanatic
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Very nice! I'd probably drop the reference to April Fool's as it doesn't seem to fit the genre, but other than that, I thought it was great. :thumbsup: