PDA

View Full Version : AKL and rooms

Cinderella's mom
11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I just booked us a standard room (all I could get with the ZVY code with dining) for 6 nights and can't seem to find anywhere to see if there are different buildings (like moderate and value resorts) or just one big lodge with rooms inside -- possibly with some wings going off main building. Also, will this be a great resort for my 5 year old and 1 year old? Thanks in advance! :mickey: I am a little worried about staying here since this will be our first!!!! :confused:

Mollywobbles
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
The AKL is one large lodge building with "wings" that branch off. At this resort they are called trails. Once the AKL dvc villas building/s are complete their will be another section (I think that this will be similar to the way it is at the WL). I've never stayed at this resort (yet any way), but I think that it would be a great resort for children. There are several areas in which to watch the animals. At night there is storytelling around a fire pit. The resort also has children's activities scheduled. I'm sure that you and your family will have a great time. I'm looking forward to my visit in January.

MNNHFLTX
11-05-2007, 08:50 AM
We have maps of all the Disney World resorts right here on INTERCOT--check out the Animal Kingdom Lodge map here (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/aklodge07.JPG).

As you can see, the wings of the resort extend out quite a bit away from the main building area. If you want to be close to the lobby/restaurants/food court, you might want to call the reservations office and have them add the request to your reservation.

WheresWalt
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
We love the AKL and so does our now 6 yo son. They have a great pool that you can just walk into so that is good for really little ones. They have our favorite kid's club which has daily kid's activities. Just check out the board in the waiting area for Boma or the AKL TV channel for all the fun activities. They have great restaurants.. Boma, Jiko, and even the counter service Mara is great. They have the in room Disney cartoons on channel 96, I think that's it, like the other deluxe resorts. Plus, the animals. You can see them all over the resort. There are little balconies all over the place, many have rocking chairs or seats, and you can just enjoy watching the animals be animals.

As for a standard room... we have booked those before but never stayed in one because they overbook those regularly so ask upfront when you check in to see of you can get an upgrade to a pool or higher view. Might happen so definately ask. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
As for a standard room... we have booked those before but never stayed in one because they overbook those regularly so ask upfront when you check in to see of you can get an upgrade to a pool or higher view. Might happen so definately ask. :mickey:This was definitely common for a while, but unfortunately, I think you will find upgrades from standard rooms become less frequent since DVC. A lot of rooms were taken for DVC units within the main lodge and others have been re-coded. It was nice while it lasted, but times have changed.

WheresWalt
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
This was definitely common for a while, but unfortunately, I think you will find upgrades from standard rooms become less frequent since DVC. A lot of rooms were taken for DVC units within the main lodge and others have been re-coded. It was nice while it lasted, but times have changed.

We just bought into AKV to insure our beloved "savannah view" at least once a year as it has become apparent that AKL is becoming a harder resort to book BUT my theory stays the same.. book the room you are happy with but it doesn't hurt to ask when you get to the check in desk. The worst they can say is no and you just might get lucky. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
BUT my theory stays the same.. book the room you are happy with but it doesn't hurt to ask when you get to the check in desk. The worst they can say is no and you just might get lucky. :mickey:I'm not doubting the theory, I also make that suggestion (although I wouldn't feel comfortable ever asking myself). I was just pointing out that those upgrades that were so plentiful in the past, are going to become like all the other upgrades, few and far between.

hunnyluvsthemouse
11-06-2007, 09:54 AM
I feel fortunate then, I stayed at AKL a couple of weeks ago, and I had booked a standard room, but, we were put in a Savannah View, and I didn't even ask for an upgrade. It must have been our lucky day. :thumbsup:

brewcrew26
11-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Is there an upgrade from the Savanna view? Also, are there refridgerators in the room?

TammiMcMan
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Is there an upgrade from the Savanna view?Yes, to club level or a suite.

MNNHFLTX
11-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Also, are there refridgerators in the room?Yes, all the deluxe and moderate resorts have refrigerators in them, including the Animal Kingdom Lodge.:mickey: