PDA

View Full Version : No Sse!!!

ToDisney
11-03-2007, 02:48 AM
AUGH!!:sob:
I don't want to be the one to tell my kids...
Space Ship Earth reopening has been delayed. We were really excited about seeing the new changes in Dec. Now it looks like some time in Feb.

I know these things happen, But well...:pout: why now.

Carol
11-03-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm sure if you explain to them all rehabs are necessary - they'll be fine.

I just got back a few weeks ago and it was definitely weird going to Epcot and not going on the attraction. But - I'll certainly admit the ride needs the updates.

It's funny how folks complain when rides need to be rehabbed - yet complain when they're down. :thumbsup:

mousetrapper
11-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Ugh. Just learned about this as well. Very sad! I do understand the need for rehabs, but I'm still so disappointed SSE will be closed down when we're in WDW in two weeks!!

:(

darn.

Polynesian Dweller
11-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Believe me I understand! I was just there in October and Epcot wasn't quite the same without it.:( But hopefully we'll get something better when its done.:mickey:

ToDisney
11-03-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm sure if you explain to them all rehabs are necessary - they'll be fine.

I just got back a few weeks ago and it was definitely weird going to Epcot and not going on the attraction. But - I'll certainly admit the ride needs the updates.

It's funny how folks complain when rides need to be rehabbed - yet complain when they're down. :thumbsup:

:blush: Oh, I know I sound whinny. I'm sorry. I do understand rides being down. We always traveel in the off season, so we are used to it. I guess this being one of our favorites, we had our hopes built pretty high for the updates. And we won't be returning each year as in the past. So I don't know when we will get back to see it. I guess I have to let out the pessimistic stuff on here so I can sound more positive to my kids. Sorry.
:mickey:
Still I can't wait for Christmastime at Disney!!
36 days!!:santa:

lindique
11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the problem is that the rehab has been unexpectedly extended - not that it is being done. People make their reservations in advance, and, as the rehab schedules are posted somewhat in advance too, they know pretty much from the time of their reservation which rides won't be open during their visit. And they form a mindset accepting that they will be closed. For example, I knew way in advance that the Haunted Mansion wouldn't be open during my last visit, and I was okay with that. I must admit I am disappointed at not being able to see Spaceship Earth on my upcoming trip, as I was really looking forward to seeing it, and it was supposed to be open (according to the old schedule).

wonderalice23
11-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I just heard about this too, and I'm going in January....not to mention it's my absolute favorite! I guess my poor b/f will just have to deal with me whining each time we walk by it!:drama:

JasonH
11-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I agree with looking at the rehab schedules ahead of time b/c it was just a couple weeks or so ago that I had seen that they still had SE scheduled to be finished by mid-November and I was like:waycool::joy::woohoo::dance:. Then when I had seen the update a few days later saying not open till Mid February I was like :noway::fit::sob::jaw:.....sigh. Well, guess it just gives me more time to be able to do other attractions at Epcot that I might not have done if it was open.

JPL
11-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Recently I have been to WDW 3 different times without the following attractions it did kind of leave a feeling of void in my trip each time.

POTC before Sparrow Overlay
HM
SSE 2 Different trips(with a 3rd planned)
BTMRR

There is plenty to see and do besides these but I still understand all 4 of these are must dos for me and it was weird being at WDW and not experiencing them.

Carol
11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
:blush: Oh, I know I sound whinny. I'm sorry. Oh no. I didn't mean you and your post. I was talking in general. :)

I just meant we see so many complaint threads on the boards when visitors find attractions run down or in need of refreshing. We then get the threads when folks are mad things are down. It's a matter of one hand washing the other.

Trust me. I was very disappointed Spaceship Earth was down last month. I was certainly whiny on my Epcot days.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Rehabs are like garbage dumps and prisons...everyone agrees they are needed, they just don't want to see them.;)

disneymom2000
11-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I was put into a pretty big depression when I saw this post. I didn't know there was a ride here until my third visit. Knowing this will be my last visit and after 13 years my husband is going with me again and I was so looking forward to showing him this ride and how spectacular it is. Now I guess my description will have to do for him. I hope someday he will get to see it.:sad:

tennantsrwe
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the update on SSE...even though it wasn't what we wanted to hear. We didn't ride in Dec 05 but were looking forward to doing it this Dec trip. Guess we're going to have to miss out on it, again! :(

Bringonthemouse!
11-05-2007, 08:57 AM
:fit::cry::pout::sob:

I was very bummed to see the rehab extension also. Oh well, something to look forward to next time I guess.

Here we go again...
11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I have not looked at the rehab schedule so I did not know SSE was extended. I was sad then we walked by it in October, but we all said "It's okay, we are going to get to see it in January!"
Now, I have to break it to my family.... :(

cal5755
11-05-2007, 11:07 AM
It was very sad for us not to be able to ride SSE in September. It is our families tradition to enter Epcot and ride SSE first.... it was hard to have to wave as we walked by. Instead we went to the new nemo ride first.

Now we are looking forward to next September when we get to go see the udates and once again do our traditional first ride in Epcot!!

I am sure you will have a magical trip anyway!!

Tinkerfreak
11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
We just got back last night and we really did miss SE while we were there. It was a family tradition that it was always the first and last ride we rode every time we went to EPCOT. DH said that this was our last trip for a while because we have been 6 years in a row and he just does not enjoy it as much as he used to. But on the way to the airport I just had to mention that I would love to see SE redone and he said maybe we can take just a shorter trip next year to see it. It just gives me some leverage when I am trying convince him we need to go back.

Taja
11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
SSE was the first attracton I ever saw at EPCOT.

I'm a bit bumed about the extension of the SSE rehab, as well. Personally, and for the first-timers in our group. It's likely to be the only time they will visit; and I probably won't return to WDW for 2 or 3 years unless there's a major change in the expectations for that period!

mousetrapper
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
After my initial disappointment wore off (slightly!), I became curious about what led to this prolonged extension of the rehab. It's one thing to be off by a few days or even a week or two, but this is a very long time. Wonder if they found some underlying problems they weren't aware of or if they came up with some great new ideas (or both)??:confused:

IloveDisney71
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I think the problem is that the rehab has been unexpectedly extended - not that it is being done. People make their reservations in advance, and, as the rehab schedules are posted somewhat in advance too, they know pretty much from the time of their reservation which rides won't be open during their visit. And they form a mindset accepting that they will be closed. For example, I knew way in advance that the Haunted Mansion wouldn't be open during my last visit, and I was okay with that. I must admit I am disappointed at not being able to see Spaceship Earth on my upcoming trip, as I was really looking forward to seeing it, and it was supposed to be open (according to the old schedule).
Very well said! I was excited about seeing the newly renovated SSE during my Dec. trip and am disappointed at the delayed reopening. Oh well...this just gives me another reason to go back!:mickey::thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
There were a couple of rumored reasons though Disney has not (and probably will not) tell us:

1) Structural Stability of the Building became an issue since the track is attached to the building and they were adding supports and that takes time to add them and then test them and everything.

2) An entire scene that was removed was not supposed to be removed and so they had to add it back in. (This is the one I doubt since I can't possibly see that happening)

3) With the small spaces of the building, it took longer than expected to take things out and put stuff in.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
AUGH!!:sob:
I don't want to be the one to tell my kids...
Space Ship Earth reopening has been delayed. We were really excited about seeing the new changes in Dec. Now it looks like some time in Feb.

I know these things happen, But well...:pout: why now.
Thanks for being the one to tell me! So-o sad! :pout:That's my favorite part of Epcot, and I hadn't seen this, yet....I would have taken it harder if I had just walked up on it to be let down in a few weeks. Rats! I can hear the soundtrack now.....:sob:

Sweezy
11-07-2007, 12:25 AM
wow...this really is a shame. i was worried enough, knowing disney, when i saw the original reopening date in november...and now its confirmed. theres really no ride that says genuine disney/epcot to me like spaceship earth...its always my favorite to completely immerse myself in the atmosphere.