PDA

View Full Version : Which table service on our Animal Kingdom day

Alpha Jeanie
11-02-2007, 03:38 PM
We will spend a day at Animal Kingdom on our trip to the World next May. We will eat at a counter service there for lunch and stay for the parade and probably leave about 5:30 or 6:00pm . I have been trying to eat in or near the parks that we spend the day at. Our last trip we park/resort hopped to get to our dinner ADR's and I'm trying to avoid that this trip.

Our kids LOVE Rainforest Cafe, but we have one in Houston that we frequent so I'm trying not to choose this one in favor of something we can only get at Disney.
We will also be on the Dining Plan and I dont think that this restaurant is offered on the plan.

Boma was my initial choice. It is nice and close to Animal Kingdom Park. My husband and I ate breakfast there last month and loved it. My only concern is the menu is a little exotic for my 10 DS and 5 DD. I know that they do offer a FEW kid friendly choices but am still a little apprehensive. They are pretty picky eaters and I want to make sure that there are choices they would pick wherever we eat.

That brings me to Yack & Yeti. I have just vaguely heard things about this restaurant. Is it a counter service or table service? When will they open for business? Any ideas of type of food that will be served?

I have also considered taking the bus to the Boardwalk from Animal Kingdom to eat at Spoodles, another place that we like.

Please let me know your opinions.

:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
We will spend a day at Animal Kingdom on our trip to the World next May. We will eat at a counter service there for lunch and stay for the parade and probably leave about 5:30 or 6:00pm . I have been trying to eat in or near the parks that we spend the day at. Our last trip we park/resort hopped to get to our dinner ADR's and I'm trying to avoid that this trip.

Our kids LOVE Rainforest Cafe, but we have one in Houston that we frequent so I'm trying not to choose this one in favor of something we can only get at Disney.
We will also be on the Dining Plan and I dont think that this restaurant is offered on the plan.

Boma was my initial choice. It is nice and close to Animal Kingdom Park. My husband and I ate breakfast there last month and loved it. My only concern is the menu is a little exotic for my 10 DS and 5 DD. I know that they do offer a FEW kid friendly choices but am still a little apprehensive. They are pretty picky eaters and I want to make sure that there are choices they would pick wherever we eat.

That brings me to Yack & Yeti. I have just vaguely heard things about this restaurant. Is it a counter service or table service? When will they open for business? Any ideas of type of food that will be served?

I have also considered taking the bus to the Boardwalk from Animal Kingdom to eat at Spoodles, another place that we like.

Please let me know your opinions.

:mickey: :monkey: From what I am being told Yak & Yeti will be table service. No menus have been posted yet, but they are supposed to open Nov. 14. We are trying Boma on our next visit and are looking forward to it, if you really like it go for it. You are correct in that Rainforest Cafe is not on the dining plan. We always eat there and have always enjoyed it although you will get mixed opinions on that. I find that whatever you decide as far as table service it is always best to make advanced reservations. Good luck

Hayden's Dad
11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't forget Tusker house is now a TS. We are eating there for breakfast one morning.

ElenitaB
11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I would go with Boma. It does have some of the typical kid-friendly fare. I think that Yak & Yeti's TS menu may be even more "exotic." And while Tusker House will have a buffet, I think it may be a knock-off of Boma's buffet (sorry to sound negative :blush:). I'd stick with Boma because it's a great buffet and in a lovely setting. Plus your kids will love seeing the animals and the artifacts around the lodge.

I agree with you re: RFC. If you have it locally, do something different at WDW.

illini
11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
If you're interested in Boma, I would definitely try it. There will be plenty there for the kids to eat. Mind you, I didn't care for it, but that's because I found the food to be too bland-- far from too exotic. But I think everyone should try it if it interests them, and most people do seem to love it. There's more than enough for the kids to eat.

disneydeb
11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Boma- don'tworry about the exotic sounding menu. It is wonderful!
Our pickiest eater said,"This is a great restaurant!" She enjoyed chicken and prime rib. She thought the ginger carrot soup was wonderful! She ate like I have never seen her !
It is now our favorite restaurant. Have a great trip!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
11-02-2007, 07:00 PM
I'd also stick with Boma. The kids are bound to like something there and you'll certainly enjoy seeing that resort.

tiaramom
11-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Boma Is Great For All Ages!
A Great Choice- Not Too Far From Ak Park
And The Kids Will Enjoy The Animals -

Or As Stated Already
Tusker House Will Open A Buffet Character Dining On Plan At Ak Park- Its New-
Check It Out!

dolphinmickey9170
11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
We decided for our TS was BOMA. Since the Y&Y won't be open, and I've been to RFC too many times, I thought Boma would be a good idea.

LibertyTreeGal
11-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Our four year olds practically devoured everything offered at Bomas. They loved everything we gave them.

As far as CS goes, I'd just wait a few weeks to see when Tusker House goes through it's changes and Yak & Yeti opens to see what happens when the reviews come in. At this point, I am planning on bypassing Flame Tree in a few weeks for the sake of science ;)

mudpuppysmom
11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
If you still want to stay close to AK, then my vote is to go to AKL and try Jiko (I'll plug this restaurant for years to come :blush:). Our little guy is pretty picky and he did not really eat much at Boma when we went two years ago. We have been going to Jiko ever since that time and he gets the mac & cheese (and I must say, it IS really good......not run of the mill either, but WAY YUMMY!!). They also have on their menu chicken strips, filet, PB&J and I believe grilled cheese. Our DS (5), gets fruit cup (NICE fresh fruit), filet or mac & cheese and then the puzzle for dessert.......he eats EVERY SINGLE BITE of his meal.

For the grownups, the place has a twist of "exotic", but it's not too exotic if you ask me. I've had the filet with mac & cheese and while I find that strange for an adult meal, it was good. I have also had the scallops with chaka laka sauce and they were GOOD! I highly recommend the Kalamata Flatbread and also the Chicken flatbread they have.

Honestly, we've not had anything there that any of us said "ew" to. Everything there we have had we would like to just continue to order and stay "safe", but we venture all over the menu.

Good luck with your choice -- there are so many good restaurants to choose from!

mousetrapper
11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Try Boma! It has been a must-do for us every trip, and I really hesitated before booking the first time because I wasn't sure my two DDs would like it (they were 8 & 5 our first time - they're 16 & 13 now and still demand that we go!).

Not only is the food delicious (with SO many choices), the setting is outstanding. Your kids will love the AKL atmosphere - before, during and after dinner.

And the desserts are FABULOUS! Try the zebra dome....:thumbsup:

Enjoy!

LandFan
11-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Definitely try BOMA - I think they will be fine!!! THey have mac n' cheese, spaghetti and chicken fingers (usually) plus a lot of the other stuff if pretty mild too.

Plus - the animals and lodge are amazing for the kids - they even tell stories around the fire in the evenings.

Cinderelley
11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
If you decide against Boma, my suggestion is to try Whispering Canyon Cafe or O'hana. The kids have a lot of fun at those two places.

TinkertoesShay
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I say go for Spoodles. My brother & sister in law ate there a few weeks ago and loved it. It has a great kids menu and I trust their opinion on the great cuisine. I plan on dining there myself in May after Animal Kingdom day. Good luck!:mickey:

Alpha Jeanie
11-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful info and suggestions. There are definately alot of great choices for dining at Disney. We are leaning towards Boma or Spoodles.....I have only 22 more days to make up my mind for ADR reservations. By the way, you definately can't go wrong with a brother or sister-in-laws opinion........:thumbsup:;)

jpH/keD
11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
We had a hard time deciding where to eat on our AK day too! We have the 3 pickiest eaters(kids) on the planet. We gave up and are trekking all the way to WCC at WL for dinner!!! Good luck to you and have a great trip!:thumbsup:

Jared
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I would go with Boma. It does have some of the typical kid-friendly fare. I think that Yak & Yeti's TS menu may be even more "exotic." And while Tusker House will have a buffet, I think it may be a knock-off of Boma's buffet (sorry to sound negative :blush:). I'd stick with Boma because it's a great buffet and in a lovely setting. Plus your kids will love seeing the animals and the artifacts around the lodge.
Boma devotes an entire section of the buffet to children, offering traditional fare common on regular kids' menus. And while the little ones are munching happily on chicken tenders and macaroni and cheese, you will enjoy the best buffet, and arguably the best family restaurant, in Disney.