PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain

apequet
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
How wet do you actually get riding SM? I hate water rides, just b/c I hate to get wet...alittle damp is ok, but not soaked! We are going in Dec. if that makes any difference.
How about the other water ride @ AK? Do you get soaked on that one?

Jenemmy
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Splash really varies. I have been on it and gotten a little damp, and then there are other times when it has been a soaker! There have also been times when I was barely wet and my hubby sitting right next to me got it pretty good. I guess I would say if you don't want to risk getting soaked, don't go.

As for Kali River Rapids in AK -- I wouldn't expect any part of you to stay dry on that ride!

tennantsrwe
11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi!
I, too, am not a big fan of walking around in wet clothes! I have ridden Splash Mountain before and gotten mixed results. Sometimes I've been soaked and others haven't been so bad. Guess you'd just have to chance it? As for the AK water ride, no thanks! I've seen far too many people come off of it dripping wet. I'll pass! We usually go to WDW in Dec, we're going the 9-14 this year. In previous trips I've found it too chilly to ride the water rides, or do the water parks. Although I'm from the south so anything below 80 is too cold for water activities for us! Hope this helps!

ThanxForNoticin
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Actually, sometimes the wettest part of SM is not even going down the big hill. We've gotten soaked sometimes when we were outside the mountain - and they shoot a big stream of water in the air when another boat is coming down the hill. That stream of water has often come down right on top of us. If you can avoid that, it's not likely you'll get soaked on the hill - wet yes, but probably not soaked. But something to consider - instead of letting the fear of getting soaked ruin your day, all the parks have lockers. Take some dry clothes along with you to the park - go have a blast, get wet, and then get changed for the rest of the day.

Meteora
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
As others have said, you can stay completely dry on Splash or you can get soaked. If you don't want to get wet but would like to ride, you can always wear a poncho. And don't wear a white shirt--my sister made that mistake once! You'll also have a better shot at staying dry if you don't sit in the front of the boat.

In December, if it is cold, they shut off the extra water cannon, so you sometimes don't have to worry about that. Splash is predictably less crowded on cold mornings--sometimes you get an entire log to yourselves if the temperature is in the 40s. I see no appeal to doing the ride in that weather, but my sister is a fanatic. Last year she got saturated, hair wet and everything, in the cold weather, but she survived.

MNNHFLTX
11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
The last few times I've gone on Splash Mountain I've gotten pretty wet, so that's a possibility for you too. If you want to try the ride but don't want to walk around the park soaked for the rest of the day, then make it the last ride of the evening. That way you can go back to your resort afterwards to dry out. :)

Chic-a-pin
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Two words for ya:

MICKEY PONCHO!!!! :mickey:

People laugh at us at the beginning, but at the end when we're dry & they're soaked, no more laughing :)

Cookie123
11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
For me, Splash Mt. has never actually been a soaker, but it does really vary. One time, I took a huge splash right to my face. I did not like that very much, at all.

Aggie97
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
We usually ride Splash Mountain right before closing on an EMH night. That way we can go back to the resort immediately and get out of our wet clothes without taking any time away from our day. :mickey:

krorx
11-02-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been soaked on both rides. The last time we road Kali, we wore ponchos. People said we were wimps but at least we didn't walk around sopping wet. That being said, I would do it all again! :thumbsup:

TBY2225
11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree that we got more wet by the other boats coming down the big hill as we were going around it than when our boat came down. I must admit I got alot wetter than I had thought. It was September first thing in the morning and we were still wet at lunch time!

DisneyTwirler13!
11-02-2007, 04:36 PM
You don't get as wet on Splash Mountain if you sit in the back and on the left.
As for Kali, there is really no way to know, because you are spinning, but a poncho is definetly a must on that ride if you don't want to get wet, but I have seen people get off and barely be wet. It happened to me once, in the middle of summer!

mousetrapper
11-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I thought I read somewhere that they changed Splash so that now you get more soaked than before? Am I imagining that?

Anyway, I've gone the poncho route before too and always get laughs. I just hate walking around in wet clothes afterward!

One thing I try to do is wear clothes (especially bottoms!) that are made of quick drying material. I just found a great pair of hiking-type shorts for our upcoming trip at our local discount store (regularly $43 for $5!!:thumbsup:). The material wicks moisture and also dries super fast. Now I have to find two or three more pair and I'm all set...

Now if only I could find underwear in the same material!:blush:

WDWFREAK101
11-03-2007, 03:45 PM
You get DRENCHED on Kali River Rapids at AK. But you don't get that wet on Splash. There is only one part of the ride where you get wet and that is in the beginning, when a car is going down a hill there are these spray jets that soak the other people on the ride. That is really it. Splash Mountain you just get a little damp and you can just sit in the back to avoid being wet, in Kali River Rapids however, every single rider gets drenched!!! Try Splash Mountain.

jkj1224
11-03-2007, 09:05 PM
I spend a lot of time at work selling clothes to soaking wet people...they all come from SM, I recommend a poncho and doing the ride immediately before you're leaving the park. When the weather gets cold they do turn down the water levels on the rides but you still get wet.

IloveDisney71
11-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I rode SM in Feb. on a day when the temp. was in the low 50's. Yes...it was a crazy thing to do, but when you are with a 9 year old who has never ridden SM...need I say more? Anyway, I was prepared and had some ponchos. We put them on, walked right up and hopped on board (not many other people were wanting to ride due to the COLD). We had a blast and actually rode it twice in a row. We stayed pretty dry with our ponchos (that cost 88 cents at Wal-mart). When we got done we gave our ponchos to some other guests.
The Kali rapids will get you pretty wet even if you wear a poncho - at least that has been the case for me! If you ride it, make sure you keep your feet on the bar in the middle, it'll keep your feet dryer than if you leave your feet on the floor.

Disneytrotters
11-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Actually, sometimes the wettest part of SM is not even going down the big hill. We've gotten soaked sometimes when we were outside the mountain - and they shoot a big stream of water in the air when another boat is coming down the hill. That stream of water has often come down right on top of us. If you can avoid that, it's not likely you'll get soaked on the hill - wet yes, but probably not soaked.

I agree, the same thing happened to us back in September!!!:( Luckily, it was in the 90's that day, so being really wet was a blessing. It took us almost the whole day to entirely dry out, though. I think that in the cooler months, they have the water cannons set lower so that you don't get as wet. That is what I ready anyway. Good luck!!!;)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree, wear a poncho on both those rides. Better safe than sorry.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I have never gotten more then a little wet on Splash. :thumbsup:
Kali is another story. I have never gotten off it not soaked.

But, we go in September so getting wet is never a problem!!

PirateLover
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Actually, sometimes the wettest part of SM is not even going down the big hill. We've gotten soaked sometimes when we were outside the mountain - and they shoot a big stream of water in the air when another boat is coming down the hill. That stream of water has often come down right on top of us.
YUP!!!!!!!!! The water cannons are the WORST!! Splash is easily my favorite ride these days. We often ride it over and over. In May 04 we got somewhat wet, but I remember drying off quickly. In Dec 05 temps were COLD! We wore ponchos on the first ride but barely got wet, and took them off for subsequent rides. This past may however was terrible in terms of getting absolutely soaked. We wore cheap ponchos that we brought with up from home and when we got off the people getting on, seeing how soaked we were, said they would give us $5 per poncho. We gave them to them for free :thumbsup::mickey:

Fallendroplet
11-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Always assume that you will get wet when you go on SM. If you do get soaked, it will be as your boat passes in front of the large drop. If the cannons are on, you will most likely get soaked. It is true that if you sit on the left side of the boat you will be less likely to get soaked. When you go down the large drop, lower your head after you see the flash for you photograph...keep your head down, or you will have a sheet of water in your face. :mickey:

pfalcioni
11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Sitting in the back will get you less wet.

They 'turn down' the water effects on both Splash and Kali when the weather is cooler.

Also, the lighter the boat the less the splash - a large group of heavier riders will get wetter!

One thing no one mentioned is the seats are usually wet, and sometimes unthinking riders will step on the seat when they exit, making it even wetter for the next person.

Ponchos are a good idea if getting wet equals no fun for you.

If it's not that huge of a deal, but you don't like to have a 'wet seat', then a small towel (or the sleeve of a sweatshirt) is a nice option!

SorcererStitch
11-09-2007, 09:12 AM
You will always get at least a little bit wet on SM, and sometimes you will get very wet.

When going on Kali plan to get soaked. If you dont like getting really wet then this ride is not for you. Here's a couple of things I do.1st dont wear sneakers trust me on this one. Wear some kind of sandals or even flip flops if you have a comfortable pair.I also wait until I'm ready to go back to the hotel room before riding. That way when you do get soaked you simply take a bus back to your hotel room, and put some dry clothes on.

Randy.

poeticeclipse
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm a big fan of getting wet on rides. Heck, they ARE water rides! That's the fun of it. But, I can understand that if it's not super hot out and you are planning on going to go watch The Hall of Presidents next it may not be the most fun sitting with a wet tush.

Just bring a poncho. Whatever you do, don't skip it. It's not to be missed. They could soak me with water jets and it still couldn't pull me away from singing frogs.

mudpuppysmom
11-09-2007, 10:29 AM
On the last day of our May trip DS decided he finally wanted to go on SplMn. I obliged him. I should have really looked a bit closer at the people coming off the ride......I did see a few and they didn't look THAT wet, so I figured what the heck. Well, we were seated in the front of the log and my DS barely got wet, but me, I walked around all day trying to dry!! When we got on the plane the waist band of my shorts were STILL wet and this was almost six hours later!!! I should have changed somewhere along the line since I had our luggage in the car, but when and where were the big questions (I always cut our trip close when leaving......we've checked in for flights less than 45 min before departure on more than one ocassion!:blush:).

Anyway, don't think just because some people are not that wet that you won't get wet yourself.

As for Kali -- I didn't really mind that one as much, yeah we got wet, but I was not looking like I took a shower with my clothes on after I exited Kali!!

If I had to pick either/or, I'd stick with Kali!! Or better yet, not do SplMn on the last day of the trip!

Thankfully for me, Splash will be closed when we are there in January......DS doesn't know this yet though.....

LudwigVonDrake
11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Ask for a seat in the back of the log and you'll barely get wet :mickey:

Sweezy
11-11-2007, 02:42 PM
as some others have said...just grab a poncho first to be safe. the ride is definitely worth it, one way or another~

Stan
11-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I just was over at MK this morning for a family photo shoot and rode Splash and BTMRR "since I was already there". :blush: :mickey: Splash splashed me pretty good (mostly the aforementioned water cannon) and I had a pretty wet shirt, but nothing to complain about especially on such a perfect day. :cloud9:

I agree that Kali is another matter. I always take a change of clothes for that one- more fun to get wet and change than to do the poncho or trash bag :blush: thingy. Years ago my DSis and her family got drenched on Kali first thing in the morning on a cold day- they had to go back to their hotel to change. Trying to tough it out even in warm weather may not be fun either- think squishy underwear. :-o

I think the whole thing is a little funny. Obviously the imagineers can pretty thoroughly control the wetness of the experience on Splash (perhaps less so Kali) because I've watched it change through the years. The cannon random drenchings are fairly new (today I heard someone behind me, "that didn't happen last time" :D). The little waterfall on your right near the end of the ride used to regularly soak folks, now it doesn't seem to do much. And the big water cannon(s) used to blast H2O on the crowds crossing the bridge- the pavement stayed wet most of the time. Did someone slip and fall? Anyway, think how boring it would be if there was no threat of getting wet. I bet some of you who "hope" to stay completely dry end up a little disappointed if you do. People are funny. ;)