PDA

View Full Version : Do You Thinks its Time for Another park...

HOLITRIN
11-02-2007, 06:27 AM
In the past few years, attendance at WDW has increased at all the parks and the ability to attend at a "slow" time is all but gone. Disney has done a great job with their offerings for the different times of year (F&W fest, Flower and Garden show, the Christmas season, etc).

Also, it seemed that every 10 - 12 years since 1971, Disney has opened a park. I do believe that its time for another one so that the crowds can be dispersed into 5 parks versus 4.

So how many of you believe its time for them to build another park? If you could pick the theming, what would it be?

I believe that a park based on Disney's villians would be fun! :)

tinkman
11-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Personally, I really don't think another park is nessasary at this time. What I think needs to happen is that there needs to be more "people eating" attractions and rides placed at the Studios, AK and Epcot. Look at the Studios for instance. There seems to be so much wasted area in the Studios that could be better utilized for attractions. With the addition of Everest, AK is coming along nicely but has a long way to go to bring people in on it's own. Epcot is my personal favorite, and Soarin has really enhanced Future world, but it really is lacking interesting attractions.

LibertyTreeGal
11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
I'd rather see a third gate in Anaheim instead... as it is, I can be at WDW for 8 days and don't heave nearly enough time to see everything so I don't want another park there.

But if they did, I wouldn't want it to be "princess land" -- given Disney's desire to cater mainly to girls :rolleyes:

wilshade
11-02-2007, 07:29 AM
AK needs more attractions. Everest is a major step inthat direction, but only one step.

The Studios needs to complete a near total revamping, which apparently is underway. The Backstage Tour needs to be changed, dropped, or replaced.

I would rather see focus given to the above mentioned parks before a new park is even considered.

DisneyTwirler13!
11-02-2007, 07:53 AM
MGM does need more rides, because it seems like the lines for RnR and TOT and sometimes Star Tours don't ever go down past 30 minutes. They need to add something. I like the Backstage Tour.
Animal Kingdom definetly needs more attractions. Everest, Kilomanjaro, Kali, and Dinosaur can get up to an hour and a half waiting! It's ridiculous
Epcot has some rides, and Soarin' has done wonders, but there are still long lines for Test Track and Soarin', never Figment or the Ellen ride, Universe of Energy.
But another park somewhere might be a good idea.... just not sure where...

Ian
11-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Not me. Personally, I hope they never build a 5th gate at WDW. I think the place is too big as it is. They can't get quality cast for what they have now, let alone if they added more.

I'd much rather see them focus on building out some of the existing parks into actual, full day parks. Both DHS and AK need serious attention.

The truth is, if both these parks were drawing their fare share of guests, the other two wouldn't be as crowded as they are.

CAS
11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing another park to ease the crowds but I have to agree partially that the Studios have considerably too much dead space. I don't, however, think the same thing about AK. One of its puposes is to be an open, natural environment; if you cram it with attractions it'll become nature's circus. It's size alone takes in a large portion of guests so I think it's coming along fine.

Unfortunately I think another complete park is a long way down the road. Seems like it would just be a little to much to manage at this point.

Cheers:D

Belle619
11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree with the others - Disney needs to work on making the existing parks even better before adding on another one. Hopefully, the name change at Disney Hollywood Studios will bring about desperately needed additions to that park and from what I've heard about the California Adventure Park plans, they seem to be going in the right direction there. I just think that at this time, the Disney company cannot spread themselves too thin by having more parks, when there is room for improvement at the pre-existing ones.

SBETigg
11-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Another park is not needed at this time, in my opinion. I would prefer to see ongoing development and improvement at existing parks, maybe expansion of existing parks in some cases.

And the Villains park idea keeps getting recirculated by fans, but I think it's a bad idea and one that Disney will never embrace, any more than they would do an entire park of heroes and princesses. Disney's foundation is the very idea that good and evil coexist, you can't have one without the other, and that it's a place for families, for everyone. Villains alone have a narrower appeal.

Figment!
11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
The only type of 5th gate I would personally want to see would be something akin to Sea World's Discovery Cove.

I think there currently would be a relatively large market for a more intimate, interactive, personalized experience--especially with Disney content and craftsmanship behind it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-02-2007, 09:20 AM
In the past few years, attendance at WDW has increased at all the parks and the ability to attend at a "slow" time is all but gone. Disney has done a great job with their offerings for the different times of year (F&W fest, Flower and Garden show, the Christmas season, etc).

Also, it seemed that every 10 - 12 years since 1971, Disney has opened a park. I do believe that its time for another one so that the crowds can be dispersed into 5 parks versus 4.

So how many of you believe its time for them to build another park? If you could pick the theming, what would it be?

I believe that a park based on Disney's villians would be fun! :) :grouphug: I am conflicted on this one because the crowds are getting so out of hand and a fifth park would alleviate some of that...any more than five parks would be too much and may kill some of the magic. I agree a villians park would be cool or even a park dedicated to Pixar characters. However, I really have to go with the consensus. I think there is some wasted space at MGM/Hollywood and Animal Kingdom could use some new attractions. I think before a new park came in they really need to add some ooomph to MGM. Also, without messing with the natural beauty of Animal Kingdom, a few more rides, a few more attractions, a few more restaurants all would be welcome.

wedway76
11-02-2007, 09:32 AM
AK needs more attractions. Everest is a major step inthat direction, but only one step.

The Studios needs to complete a near total revamping, which apparently is underway. The Backstage Tour needs to be changed, dropped, or replaced.

I would rather see focus given to the above mentioned parks before a new park is even considered.

:number1:

Two EXCELLENT points!

Marker
11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Disney's foundation is the very idea that good and evil coexist, you can't have one without the other, and that it's a place for families, for everyone. Villains alone have a narrower appeal.

My thoughts exactly. And not only that good and evil coexist, but that good triumphs. To have a park that was only villians would seem to be celebrating the "dark" side of the story with no redeeming good side. To me, that's totally NOT Disney.

I too would much rather see them improve what they have rather than add another park. I'd rather see the focus on quality rather than quantity.

Seems a common feel here is that they need to add rides. I disagree. Rides are great, but to me what makes WDW special, is the mix of rides, shows, theming, etc. If you focus on all rides, in my opinion, you're going to turn it into Six Flags. Adding some rides is fine, but there must be a balance. Some empty space also serves a valuable purpose for theming and overall feel.

JPL
11-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Before a new park should be considered they need to fix the problems in some of the current parks. I would rather 4 extremely high quality parks than a 5th park throw in just because. And I know some people are going they already have this but each park has it's own issues which would too lengthy to list here.
However the only park I would like to see her is Disney Seas like they built in Tokyo.

Ian
11-02-2007, 09:49 AM
And the Villains park idea keeps getting recirculated by fans, but I think it's a bad idea and one that Disney will never embrace ... I agree.

I could be wrong, but I'll be very shocked if Disney ever does anything significant with villains again. They tried that as almost it's own brand (like Princesses, Fairies, Pirates, etc.) and it flopped.

Now they just have a very minor amount of merchandise available for the villains niche. I'm pretty sure Disney knows, though, that there isn't enough market there to sustain an entire theme park. Too narrow a concept.

The only type of 5th gate I would personally want to see would be something akin to Sea World's Discovery Cove.I agree. And based on all that I've read on the topic, I expect that's the only kind of 5th gate you'd ever see in WDW.

Maybe we might get a 3rd water park, but if they're going to do another theme park I think it will be something like what you describe ... small, intimate, and very pricey. Something where the profit margin is high enough that they can go out and hire some quality individuals at higher salaries.

big blue and hairy
11-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Nope...no 5th gate for the forseeable future. There is too much to do to improve the existing parks. Disney seems to be moving in that direction now and I wouldn't want anything to distract them from that. IMHO there is plenty to do for a week or more at WDW. DW and I were there for 11 days in July and we were always doing something.

I am really looking forward to the improvements in the existing parks, and while I'm on that subject, BRING BACK THE MAGIC OF DISNEY ANIMATION TOUR!!! I'm not saying exactly the way it was necessarily, but lets see traditional and computer animation being done. Disney is ramping up their shorts from what I here. WDW would be a lovely place to do them. :thumbsup:

:sulley:

WidowsSon
11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I agree with the comments above about a 5th park. It would be fun to see another area like the boardwalk, maybe New Orleans themed past Dixie Landings on the river. I personally would like to see more ability for online booking of restaurants, events, etc. More information available while you’re in the parks, like a much more supped version of Pal Mickey maybe even info sent to your phone. I’d also like to see themed transportation, no more buses. A big steam engine that would take you from wilderness lodge to the major parks, something along those lines

Polynesian Dweller
11-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I too am in the camp of improve what they've got rather than a fifth gate. I think the rush to create the Studios and AK shows in the incomplete feeling each park has. The Studios has too many so-so attractions (Sounds Dangerous for example) and AK simply doesn't have the attractions (but has improved with EE).

If a fifth gate is ever done, I agree that it will likely be a Sea World type of attraction. Its about the only viable genre they haven't done.

Figgyluv03
11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
A 5th park would nice, but I have to agree with a lot of other people on here, they really need to focus on what is already there that needs to be updated and new stuff be added. If anything about opening a new park, I'd actually like to see them bring River country back, with a nice overhaul.

kbean
11-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Epcot and Studios has some nice rides and attractions, but some don't leave you wanting to back a sceond time. Like the Stunt Shown at Studios, how many times can you watch the same car do the same stunts over and over.

NewmanFamily6
11-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I definitely think that they should work on Disney Studios. My family still hasn't been able to do everything yet that there is because we have small children and must go at their pace. I do believe that Universal will be giving WDW a run for their money when they open up the Harry Potter section in 2009 though.

Figaro
11-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Keep in mind folks, Disney listens to what you all say. Their commitment is to providing you with an exceptional experience. Submit your ideas and comments to them. :thumbsup: Even the small comments you all submit as feedback to the resorts go up, each and every one of them, verbatim to what you said, are compiled and printed and then every month put up in cast areas for managers and cast to read. So if they go that far for small feedback, imagine how far your feedback will go :mickey: :thumbsup:

lovedisneyworld
11-03-2007, 06:25 AM
When I was in Disney World in April 2007, the bus driver we had made an announcement to our bus stating that Disney World is planning a new park for 2012 but the theme is still undecided. So, I have no other info to prove this is true, but just thought I would share this with you all.

LudwigVonDrake
11-03-2007, 10:47 AM
No new park right now! MGM (old habits die hard) needs more rides/attractions and I like how they are refurbing the "classics". They should spend wisely on what they have and adding something to a park that needs help :smickey:

emmingo
11-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I think its probably a better idea to improve and expand the existing parks: refurbish the Studios, expand Animal Kingdom and work a little on making Epcot even better (actually, I think even MK could use a little sprucing up...you know, stop the silly commercial stuff and really work on making things more cohesive). They've done such great work so far that hopefully that will continue before they put time and effort into another park. :mickey:

Though, to be really honest, Tokyo DisneySeas is FANTASTIC and I would LOVE to see a version of it built here, which is one of the rumors I've heard...:secret:

WDWFREAK101
11-03-2007, 03:42 PM
It would be hard to do another park because Disney would have to theme it, and almost all of the ideas for themes are all gone, it would be hard to make another park. Plus there is already so much there to do anyway that you would still be entertained.

teamblackwell
11-04-2007, 01:50 AM
It would be hard to do another park because Disney would have to theme it, and almost all of the ideas for themes are all gone, it would be hard to make another park. Plus there is already so much there to do anyway that you would still be entertained.

almost all of the idea for themes are all GONE!!!!!

Victor Kelly
11-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I must regretably say no to another theme park. I believe that there is enough in the existing parks that needs to be upgraded and better maintained or all out replaced.

I also believe the transportation system needs upgrading be it monorails, or lightrail systems. I love the monorails and would like to see more of them. I also think that a more central transportation hub is needed, a NEW TTC in fact, probably at Epcot.

RobWreck
11-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Here's another vote for 'no new park'. Animal Kingdom is still just a half-day park, and MGM could use a few new attractions as well. Heck, when was the last time they added a country to Epcot? Isn't there a space between China and Germany that was supposed originally supposed to be 'Equitorial Africa'? Of course, now with the Animal Kingdom, they could easily put another country in there (Russia? India? Egypt? Brazil?). I mean, there's a ton of other countries that could be represented in Epcot that are different than those already there.
But as for the comments about "almost all of the idea for themes are all GONE!!!!!", I have to give Disney more credit than that. If the people they have couldn't come up with an idea for a new theme, I'm sure they'd just get new, more creative people.
If Disney wanted to add something different, they could try converting the old 'Discovery Island' into a 'Lost' themed location/attraction.
Rob

TinkerbellFan16
11-04-2007, 04:41 PM

I believe that a park based on Disney's villians would be fun! :)

i completely agree!!!! i would love a villian park!!!

Haunt1000
11-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Why not another park in a different state? Somewhere in the middle of the country to keep hotels at the right capacity in WDW. Moving maybe into Texas to capture all central and plains states tourisim, not to mention all of Mexico. Possibly buying up alot of land somewhere between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. Like Giddings or Manor right outside of Austin. I think it sounds smart to start building up relations with midwestern/southwestern Americans who cant afford to fly to L.A. or Orlando, giving more families Disney Magic!:secret:

shanealaina
11-05-2007, 08:13 AM
here are ny 2 cents

AK doesn't need more attractions, maybe more animals, we love to go to zoos, and maybe they could do more with that

DHS does need some work, i know they are adding the buzz thing and that's good, but its hollywood man, why not some live shows, a short play or something like that

another park, not yet, work with what you have, then move on.

but, if they did, a villlian park would be cool like someone said.

AND..Harry Potters park is right around the corner in Orlando

Bringonthemouse!
11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
... as it is, I can be at WDW for 8 days and don't have nearly enough time to see everything so I don't want another park there.
I agree.
I would also like to avoid the inevitable price hike that would occur if another park was added to the Orlando roster!
:mickey:

thefunkypurplegirl
11-05-2007, 06:16 PM
no new parks please-they need 2 do with what they have now :mickey:

i wouldnt mind if they put in a few extra rides in the studios, epcot, and AK-as long as they dont mess sum sum classics (the great movie ride,the backlot tour,and living with the land for example)

but what they really need 2 do is touch up on sum stuff-mayb even plus it...

like the back lot tour, the most recent addition was the herbie car from that last godawful sequel...thats a joke...if they made it more interactive and polished off a few of the exhibits(that FLA sun eats thru everything-it shows), and even added a more recent movie (than pearl harbor)or a long standing "classic" hollywood movie(1 easily recognizable) to the repetoire-they mite rope in sum more ppl (teens 4 the newer flicks, and film buffs and adults alike 4 the classic stuff)

another thing i wish they would do is maintance sum of their stuff-speakers and paint jobs and even mechanics...mayb it was jus my bad back but star wars seemed 2 have alot more whiplash than usual. downtown disney has sum buildings with peeling paint and holes kicked in by either a fiesty little kid or sum angry teenager :P sum speakers in the star tours ride werent functioning either the day i went :P

but, i also recently went on the newly refurbished haunted mansion an i loved it-its still faithful to the classic, jus things are added on to plus the sense of suspense/thrill....it seemed much more thrilling than the pirates revamp (although i do love the addition of johnny depp-but thats bout it)

disney can do it-they just showed us with the mansion, and well c what theyve cooked up 4 the SSE nxt yr...i hope they jus keep faith in the classics :mickey: