PDA

View Full Version : Never been on Tower of Terror

DisFan01
11-01-2007, 08:32 PM
We are leaving for Disney World in about 15 days! We are going to all of the themeparks, so I have a question. In MGM, is Tower of Terror. I have never been on this ride before, but I have heard a lot of good and bad things about it. Can someone maybe give an overview of the ride? I think that most of it is dropping... but is there an actually "ride" part, or do you just drop the whole time? Also, is the drop worse than Splash Mountain, the same, or better (haha)? Splash Mountain bothers me a little bit, however Expedition Everest doesn't bother me at all. Any help you could give would be much appriciated! I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I would enjoy it before I ride it! Thanks! :thumbsup:

caryrae
11-01-2007, 09:04 PM
In my opinion the drop is way worse then splash since it drops sraight down faster than gravity then shoots you back up and one thing is you are not sure how many times you will drop. The number of changes. It does move forward on a track with some special affects to see before the drops.

It is way worth it to try at least once. I don't like the drop myself but I am glad I tried it once to experience it.

Here is a little about it:

The Hollywood Tower Hotel has been deserted and the signs of neglect are everywhere. The queue takes you through gardens of broken stoneware and decaying plants. In the background you're listening to haunting melodies from the past by Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington and other notables from that era. (You also hear the screams of the elevator riders.)

When you enter the lobby, you see that everything is covered by dust and cobwebs. There's a set of leather chairs that are genuine Renaissance antiques. There are French bronzes, including some by Moreau, a noted artist of the 19th century. Other props are reproductions. If you can, get a glimpse of the Concierge desk. There's a Photoplay magazine with "Four Pages of Hilarious Star Caricatures by Walt Disney."

From here, you're directed to the Library. Before the door closes and the lights dim, look around. On top of the bookcases you'll see some props from Twilight Zone episodes.

The room gets dark, the TV turns on and there in black and white is Rod Serling. He begins with "Tonight's story on the Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a.." This intro is from "It's a Good Life" where the little boy holds a town hostage by his ability to change or destroy anyone or anything. (Think "wish it into the cornfield Anthony" and you'll know the episode.)

You'll see the Hollywood Tower Hotel in its heyday. A young couple, a little girl with her Governess and a bellhop enter the elevator. The doors close, they start to go up, lightning hits the building and they vanish.

With a crack of lightning, the lights in the Library turn back on, a door opens and you enter the "Twilight Zone." In this "episode" you're in the boiler room of the hotel waiting to board a 1917 service elevator.

Once you've fastened your seatbelt, the doors close and the elevator heads up. First stop, the doors open and you see a very cool optical illusion. The doors close again and at the next stop, you move forward.

Get ready, this is where the real fun begins. The TOT has progressed since it's debut when the drops were pre-programmed. Now a computer is in control making each ride random and unique. You never know how many times you'll go up and down and up and down and......

DisFan01
11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Wow! Great review! I probably will ride it just to see. Any other reviews/opinions are welcome! ;)

IloveDisney71
11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
I have been on EVERY ride in WDW except for the orignial version of Mission Space. (I don't think I can handle the spinning.)
I don't enjoy drops on roller coasters, but I love Splash Mountain. Strange but true. My favorite ride is Rocking Roller Coaster and I love all the other roller coasters at WDW.
I never wanted to ride TOT, but my teenage DD talked me into it. I hated the actual dropping part of the ride, I loved everything that led up to it. I believe I had a panic attack due to the drops - I was literally shaking so bad that I could hardly walk. I'm a CHICKEN!!!! ALL THAT BEING SAID, I'M ACTUALLY GLAD THAT I RODE IT.
Now I can say that I've ridden everything.
But - you couldn't pay me to ride it again! ;)
If you want to ride it - go for it! There is no other ride like it. The theming is fantastic!!

Marilyn Michetti
11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm in my mid 60's, and I LOVE TOT ! Although the drop down is faster than gravity, you don't really do the whole drop in one, well... drop! The ride drops you anywhere from 2 - 6 times, and it's more like "bobbing" - a bit down, back up, and more dropping. It's just the best fun!!!

Your apprehension is scarier than the actual ride!:drama:

Sweezy
11-02-2007, 01:00 AM
do ride it at least once...just a few years ago i would never ride it as i was scared away by the drops that i 'thought' would be miserable for me...but by the time i finally rode it (sometime, actually, after i had begun to really like rockin roller coaster and rides like hulk/dueling dragons), it was nothing. the ride/queue are worth it in themselves...the entire package is spectacularly done. its a great ride/thematic masterpiece (my favorite at wdw from the first time i rode it), and just a shame to miss for a Disney fan in general. also i feel like its facade/doors opening/people screaming are a hell of a lot scarier than the ride itself somehow...the drop to me isnt really that much worse than splash mountain, its just a little airtime.

SpecJoe Magic
11-02-2007, 02:49 AM
My DW and I rank it as our favorite attraction at WDW. The drops don't bother us at all so it's difficult to say whether or not they will bother you. I'm certain, however, that the multiple and unpredictable drops make it worse than Splash Mountain. I do think that mindset has a lot to do with how it makes one feel. My advice is to try to prevent the anticipation from overwhelming you by remaining as calm as possible. The drops are only the last portion of the ride as there are a few show scenes prior to them. You may find that you enjoy it a great deal and that it doesn't bother you at all. I encourage you to give it a try if you have even a small desire to ride it. If it happens to bother you then you can take comfort in knowing that it doesn't last long and you don't have to ride it ever again.

tinkman
11-02-2007, 07:08 AM
In my own opinion, the best-themed ride anywhere. From the moment you walk through the entrance gate, you're transported back to the 1930's. Can't say enough good about the ride. It's scary but not in the same way as an outdoors roller coaster that takes you up 200 feet then drops you. You're in a shaft, dark and you're not sure what is happening. No time to be scared. Great ride. My mom is 76 and still rides it, over and over.

DisneyTwirler13!
11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
The apprehension is about a million times worse than the actual ride. If you start screaming, you might find that you're laughing after a while! The wait line is beautifully done, and the hotel lobby is perfectly haunting! The boiler room can get a bit stuffy in the summer, but it's not anything to worry about in the winter. Enjoy the ride.... :thedolls: lol,:mickey:

#1donaldfan
11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
First of all I have to say that this ride is the ONLY ride at Disney that gives me any "trouble". The theme is over the top. You walk into an amazing couryard that leaves nothing to the imagination. You continue on to the terrace and porch area which has so much detail. Your taking in all the detail and imagineering Disney can offer all the while hearing people screaming. Your legs begin to shake a bit, but you continue on to the lobby area of the hotel. The detail and art just gets better and better. You can still hear faint screams as you file into lines to be taken into an ante room for the Pre Show. CM's take you into a small room, maybe an old parlor, and once the door close the lights disappear and a televison comes on with the twilightzone narrator giving you the details of the fateful night. Lightening strikes and other doors open leading you into the basement / boiler room. More detail as you file through a dark, dusty basement. A very over the top bellhop places you into lines awaiting a ride on the "service" elevator. Once seated and after securely fastening your seatbelt the doors close and you begin up, very slowly. The doors open and you can see down a hall with ghosts apparently beckoning you to get off. Those doors close and you continue up, slowly. The next set of doors open and your "elevator" actually starts to move forward through a dark hall with the narrator continuing with the story line. It's very dark, but you know your about to "take your ride" as you feel the "elevator" lock in and you feel a blast of hot air. At this point I have a "death" grip on the handles, as we begin our rise and plummet...many, many times. So, with your question, yes it's a total experience, a show, a ride, and a crazy elevator. :thedolls:

Jasper
11-02-2007, 09:26 AM
The anticipation is worse than the actual experience. Even though you feel as though you are out of control when the drop happens you are really in complete control the whole time thanks to the ride system. I would say that you should give it a try. When I first rode it I was expecting a rough ride but really the stops are very gentle and the only real "scare" is from the momentary weightlessness you feel during the drop.

JuicyMoose17
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
The drop on splash mountain is deiiferent then ToT because on splach you feel like your going to fly forward but on ToT its just a free fall.

laprana
11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree, you definitely should ride it at least once! It's so much fun!! The drops in TOT and Splash really aren't that similar. Splash has one big, long, continuous drop, whereas TOT has multiple drops in sequence that can be really short or kind of long. It's different every time, so you don't really know what to expect - which is part of the fun, I think! The theming on TOT is amazing...worth the wait in line just to see the theming. In fact, on our last trip, my mom (who is a chicken and hardly rides anything) went through the line just to see it, and then once we got to the elevators, she and my sister bailed out! But, she had fun just going through the line and seeing the hotel.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

ryca1dreams
11-02-2007, 10:51 AM
What's really sad about this ride is that so many people are apprehensive about "the drop", that they miss the other 90% of the attraction. There is so much else going on in this ride you really have to keep your eyes opened and look around so you don't miss all the details. You also have to ride it more than once because it really does change - from drop to drop. I love ToT. It is probably my favorite of the newer attractions at WDW.

Marilyn Michetti
11-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Oh, one more thing. If you're wearing your laniard with pins, watch it. The laniard, (during the drop), goes upward, and is suspended for a brief second before it drops again. It's really cool.:thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
11-02-2007, 12:18 PM
One of the best attractions anywhere. You should definitely give it a try. I bet you go back for a second ride. And if you do go back a second time, it won't be the same ride (as some have already mentioned). The drop sequence will be different. Have fun!

tennantsrwe
11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I understand your delima! I don't mind rollercoaster drops as much, b/c I can pretty much guess when it will be over....but with TOT it's random. You might drop 3 times, or 5. And to me there is a difference in a rollercoaster drop and a feeling like I'm falling and can't control it drop. I've ridden TOT once, back a few years ago. It was fun, but I was younger then too. I say give it a try, even if it's just once. Everyone needs the experience. Plus you might get a really funny picture out of it! :thumbsup:

Disneyatic
11-02-2007, 01:17 PM
My husband and I took turns riding this on our last trip (we did the child swap) and it was by far, the coolest ride I have ever ridden! The scenery, theme and actual ride are just top notch.
I have to admit, the drop was scary and felt like it was never going to end, but they have good handles on the seats :blush: It was one of those giddy types of fear, where it is fun and you want to laugh all while being a bit freaked out!

Another thing, this ride has the greatest CMs....they were all very into the act and very friendly. One of them told me about a hidden mickey on the ride. When you are in the elevator in the dark right before the doors open and all the little white lights show up, there is a hidden mickey in the lights. I think I may have actually seen it!

Goofy Pluto
11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm a pretty big ride weenie. I mean, I'll do most stuff at WDW, but anything that goes really high, upside down, or drops really fast? Forget it!

Saying that I have gone on ToT... once. And truth be told, I wouldn't rush back on, but I would go on again. The theming and special effects are fantastic. Sure, I screamed like a little girl, but it is very well done and I survived. I could do it again.

Oh, and Splash Mt. is my favorite attraction at WDW. I think the theming keeps me going back on and the drop is very brief so I can survive it.

SignguyTom
11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
...You'll see the Hollywood Tower Hotel in its heyday. A young couple, a little girl with her Governess and a bellhop enter the elevator. The doors close, they start to go up, lightning hits the building and they vanish...

Has anyone else noticed that the little girl is carrying a stuffed Mickey when the group gets on the elevator? At least in the DCA version of ToT she is. Very brief, but there. Could this be considered a 'Hidden Mickey'...? :mickey:

DisFan01
11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks to all for the help! ;)

LudwigVonDrake
11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
The Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW :smickey:

jedigrrrl
11-02-2007, 06:34 PM
It's only the greatest ride on Earth!

brownie
11-04-2007, 01:59 PM
A great ride! You are taken up in one lift, and your "car" leaves the elevator to travel a little ways to the lift that does all the drops. The drops are random in number and distance, but are very smooth. You wear a seatbelt, which is a lot better than the lapbars they used to have for each row in the "car." The drops are very fast, and the series does not last really long. I'd recommend at least giving the ride a try. I wasn't sure about it the first time I rode it, and now I'm hooked!

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-04-2007, 02:46 PM
My husband and I LOVE "The Tower of Terror!"
It's one of our favorites at MGM, soon to be Hollywood Studios. We'll be in Disney in 3 days. Can't wait to get on it!!!:thumbsup:

Cindy'smom
11-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Try putting your arms up in the air and screaming.....LOUDLY...when you feel apprehensive or nervous or scared, and during the drop. DF and I did this and we were laughing so hard we were crying by the end of the ride.:eek::joy: And then we did it again, and again, and again, and again......

RBrooksC
11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Disney calls them drops but since it is motorized, it really isn't a drop. The car moves up and down the shaft at different intervals each time the ride is launched.

The cars move up and down so smoothly that is hard not to enjoy the ride. The seat belts hold a person into the seat so there is no way to fall out but allow enough room for airtime if you don't hold on.

When I was there September, I was out of my seat for a while because I let go and the way the car went allowed me to be basically weightless for a short period.

Just relax... I have been on many freefall rides and those actually make me feel queasy while this ride actually is enjoyable.

DisFan01
11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
One more question. Is it true that you can hold a penny, and on the drop, it will float? Or is that a ride at Universal? :thumbsup:

DNS
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
The drop on splash mountain is deiiferent then ToT because on splach you feel like your going to fly forward but on ToT its just a free fall.

And this is a huge difference to me. I do not like the feeling of falling forward.

pfalcioni
11-07-2007, 03:00 PM
If you like the little feeling of weighlessness you get on roller coaster 'hops', then you will LOVE TOT. This is the best 'air time' at DW!

I'm an adrenaline junkie, and TOT is the only ride at DW that will get my adrenaline pumping a bit.

If you don't like weightlessness, or have trouble with motion sickness - then this is probably not the ride for you.

However, even if you're not going to ride the ride, I would strongly recommend at least going through the 'hotel' and up to the loading area. When you get there, just tell the CM that you decided not to ride, and they'll take you out the back way. The theming of this ride is absolutely incredible, and not to be missed!

thejens
11-10-2007, 03:56 PM
It really is different every time. The first time I was terrified in anticipation, but loved the weightless feeling of the drop. THe second trip I didn't enjoy it as much. There were more shorter drops and it felt jerky and less pleasant. I am a big chicken and don't like drops as a rule, but I would still recommend that you try it once. As has been said, if you hate it, it is over very quickly. Now the only one I haven't tried is RR, but I just can't seem to get myself to do that one yet!!

DisneyTwirler13!
11-10-2007, 06:34 PM
One more question. Is it true that you can hold a penny, and on the drop, it will float? Or is that a ride at Universal? :thumbsup:

That's something I might have to try next time I go, LOL. :secret: :blush: :thumbsup:

texasteacher
11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I rode it once and that was enough for me. The drop was just too intense for my taste. If I could ride it and get off right before the drop, I would! Everyone should give it a try.

We are leaving for Disney World in about 15 days! We are going to all of the themeparks, so I have a question. In MGM, is Tower of Terror. I have never been on this ride before, but I have heard a lot of good and bad things about it. Can someone maybe give an overview of the ride? I think that most of it is dropping... but is there an actually "ride" part, or do you just drop the whole time? Also, is the drop worse than Splash Mountain, the same, or better (haha)? Splash Mountain bothers me a little bit, however Expedition Everest doesn't bother me at all. Any help you could give would be much appriciated! I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I would enjoy it before I ride it! Thanks! :thumbsup:

CandleontheWater
11-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I personally don't like typical "free-fall rides AT ALL. Especially those that your feet are dangleing and you are just strapped in, however I have no problem with ToT. I think it is because it is mostly enclosed and you don't see the outside for the entire drop. I think it feels much more secure and it doesn't scare me as much. You really only see the outside when you at the top of the ride, right before they drop you, and the rest is in the shaft. If seeing that you are falling really bothers you, like it does me, that you might have an easier time at ToT.

Mickey 101
11-17-2007, 11:35 PM

Yes, my kids have tried this and it works! This last trip, our digital camera around my neck was floating up at eye-level at one point and its not all that lightweight. My favorite part of the ride is the airtime and feeling of weightlessness. I was apprehensive on our first trip as a family, but after we all tried it, it instantly became one of our favorites in all of WDW. Try it!

brewcrew26
11-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm getting tense just reading the reviews of the ride. My hands are getting all clammy.

I'm normally pretty good with rides, but something about TOT just causes me to get really anxious and have anxiety attacks.

The closest I've been to riding was at DLR (I know that one doesn't have the ride through like in WDW according to my fiance). I made it all the way up to the loading part by the elevator shaft.

The intro was great! I've always been a huge fan of the Twilight Zone. I thought I would've been able to ride it, but I just get so anxious. I started breathing all heavily and was scared that I'd have a heart attack on the ride (I still have issues riding Splash Mountain and going up the lift hill -- I've contemplated the pace of the boat and if I could jump to that side ramp a few times to get out...) I started making other people around us weary.

Well, anyways, I had to ask the "bellhop" where the exit was. He actually broke character -- I think he felt so bad for me. I was sobbing in the gift shop as I waited for my fiance. I think people thought I was nuts!

I've been fine with SM -- I think the darkness. I haven't tried RNR or M:S or EE. I want to try the last two in April. I still get queesy after BTM. But, I hope to one day conquer my fear of TOT. I'm seriously considering hypnotism (I have a friend who knows a hypnotist...)