PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness

guatemama
11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Which rides have more motion sickness movements than anything, my DH gets motion sick riding in the back seat of cars and such.

Thanks, Susan
We leave in 9 days!!!!!:joy:

IloveDisney71
11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
:welcome:
I'd like to welcome you to Intercot! :mickey:

I don't get motion sickness very often. Every once in a while if I'm reading in the back seat of the car, I'll be bothered with motion sickness.
That being said, there are two things at Disney that made me suffer from motion sickness. One was the Star Wars ride at Disney Studios and the other was a virtual reality activity at Disney Quest (I think it was called - Aladin's magic carpet ride).
The Star Wars ride just made me feel a little "off" but the thing at DQ was awful.

wedway76
11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I am very prone to Motion Sickness. Here is my short list...

In the Magic Kingdom: Teacups (the WORST of the all)
MGM: Star Wars (I can get through it if I keep my eyes closed)
EPCOT: Mission Space

A couple of times Rock'n Roller Coaster had me a little queasy

Enjoy your trip!!!!

Tink#64
11-01-2007, 11:49 PM
My DS (11) & myself, both get affected by motion sickness. He more than me, so I always dramamine in my purse.

Here's what I've found - I know some have already been mentioned, but I want to stress that they aren't alone!

DQ - Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride is BAD!
MGM - Star Tours, we can do it, but we feel a little off for just a bit, but we still love it!

Not sure if it's a ms thing or not - but ToT - I thought that I could lose it at any given moment!

Again, I'm not sure if the going in circles thing counts, because DS's loved the Teacups, but I know I was green when we got off!

DS & I - neither one can ride SM! But I think it's more the strobe light effect that kind of freaks us out.

I think that's about it, there's not much we don't do & none of us have actually gotten ill, but maybe felt queasy for a short while.

I didn't mention MS because we both felt this ride was not one for us! DH & younger DS both loved it!

I know it's hard to know how you compare to someone else. My DS can't read in the car, and can't handle curvey or hilly roads at all. We have to keep a bucket & wipes in the van at ALL times! I blame myself, but I never gave it any thought before our 1st trip to WDW, but he ended up airsick. I felt so bad. During our layover in ATL I had to run around to find Dramamine to give him.

Good Luck, & I don't think you'll feel like you're missing out on anything if you only skip a few rides. There's so much more to do!:mickey:

Stan
11-02-2007, 12:21 AM
If you do take a chance on Teacups, make sure you have firm control over others in the cup with you. Especially I'd advise against riding with tweens or teens with strong stomachs and strong arms*. My DFIL won't make that mistake again. :ack: :-o :mad: :(

(*Riders can spin the cups by grabbing and turning the big "steering wheel" in the center of each cup/car. The ride is bad enough even if your cup doesn't spin.)

MCFantasia
11-02-2007, 12:37 AM
I can't stand Star Tours. I have never had problems with any ride I have ever been on in my life... except for that one? I ride it once every few years... just because it's there. But I always regret it. :ill:

MCFantasia
11-02-2007, 12:39 AM
:welcome: to Intercot guatemama.

:mickey:

#1donaldfan
11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
:rocks::rocks::fworks::fworks: WELCOME ABOARD...you'll love it here..only one ride I can think of.....Mission Space....the others can, I suppose, but our fam of 5 typically can do 'em all.....have fun, and again Welcome!!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Which rides have more motion sickness movements than anything, my DH gets motion sick riding in the back seat of cars and such.

Thanks, Susan
We leave in 9 days!!!!!:joy: :sick: In addition to the ones listed already, I have to mention the dinosaur ride in Animal Kingdom. It jerks around a lot and last time I rode it left me with a sore neck and nausea.

TwoTinyWings
11-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Like a few other posters, I am extremely prone to motion sickness. It usually affects me if I am either not looking out of a moving vehicle or don't have any sort of air flow moving past me. I also have trouble with rides that simply go around and around. (Hooray for the inner ear!) I think many others who suffer from motion sickness find the same to be true of them. So, it makes sense to stay away from simulator type rides (Star Tours, Mission Space), circular motion rides (Dumbo, Flying Carpets, etc.), anything with spinning (Teacups - ugh), and anything that might be in warm or still air (I've had some problems in the past with SM when the air is really warm). I've never tried ToT but am guessing that's not fun for motion sickness prone people, either. If you think about what triggers your motion sickness and then think about what each ride involves, it should help you figure out what will work for you.

As a side note, I usually manage to do Star Tours and have fun with it - if I start to feel a bit queasy, I just look to the side of the vehicle, where the little bot is, since that is moving the same way I am, and this helps a great deal. Importantly, it means I'm looking away from the screen, which is generally the cause of most of the problems I have on those types of rides. Maybe this would work for other people, too. (However, I must admit I do not miss Body Wars - something about the type of ride this is coupled with the constant in-liquid simulation always made me ill...)

Hope this helps!

diz_girl
11-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't miss Body Wars either. It was the only ride in WDW world that ever made me queasy. That's why I never rode Star Tours (same technology). So, I'd say no to Star Tours for your DH.

I've never had any problem with a MK ride, and, other than Mission Space, the other EPCOT rides were fine. I've never tried Mission Space, and I don't ever plan on going on the orange version, but maybe the green one. Your DH should definitely avoid the orange version of Mission Space, but you try the green version of it first to see if he would be okay on it. I can't comment on AK rides, since I was pregnant when I was there. I've also never been on R'n'R and ToT, but I'd probably be fine on both rides. When I finally decided to give ToT a try I got pregnant. Oh, well.

Good luck.

Meteora
11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi there,

When I first came to this board and discussed wanting to try rides despite motion sickness, several people recommended ginger pills, and I have found them to be quite effective. You can get them in any health food store and they might be good to have on hand in case an unexpected ride causes your DH to feel queasy.

I'll also add that on Buzz, you might want to use the spinning lever judiciously. Test Track is definitely bumpy and jerks you around a bit, but I've never had an issue with it. Star Tours can affect even the strongest of stomachs.

wire0monkey
11-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Other than Star Tours, Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom made me really sick. It spins and has side to side motion and it just sort of overwhelmed my inner ear.

My brother got motion sickness on Expedition Everest, but I love that ride and don't get sick on it.

Aggie97
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Just Star Tours and Body Wars have bothered me; I've avoided Mission Space because of this! :mickey:

wedway fan
11-02-2007, 07:04 PM
another vote for primeval whirl- my least favorite ride at WDW...:ill:

Goofy Texan
11-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Consider getting Sea Bands. These are tight, knit wrist bands with a small plastic ball in them. You position the bands so the ball puts pressure on the nerve that sends motion information to the brain. With the bands on, I can ride anything, even the tea cups with teenagers doing the spinning, and Mission Space.

The best part is I wear them only when I need to and they don't cause drowsiness like dramamine can.

Sea Bands get a :thumbsup: in my book. You can buy them at drug stores and walmart for about $8.