PDA

View Full Version : Any writers out there?

Cinderelley
11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
DH has started writing a series of books for junior high kids about traveling. I was a little shocked to find out that his first one is about WDW - after he has loudly declared that he is sick of going. I jokingly declared that we were going to have to go back, so that he could do his research, and I can take his pictures for the book. Much to my astonishment and glee, he said yes. But, now that he's serious about doing this, I've started wondering about the "business" side of things. I know other authors have used Disney stuff - ie Birnbaum's. My mom said I should contact a "copyright" attorney first to get permission from Disney to use their name, pictures, etc. and to copyright his work. Someone else said that when a publisher accepts his book, they'll do all the copyright info. Does anyone know where to get reliable information on these types of situations?

drummerboy
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I've sent you a PM.

SBETigg
11-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm published in women's fiction now but I started out in travel. My first project was a guide, WDW for Honeymooners. It was before there was much out there by way of specialized guides. I had interest from a major travel publisher, but they backed out in fear of Disney's notorious legal department. Birnbaum was just putting together their first WDW for Adults guide and the Couples Guide from Prima (now with Zagat or Fodor, can't recall) hadn't been developed.

My point? I hate to be discouraging but it is a subject few publishers outside of Disney's own labels will touch, so the market is a hard one to tap. If a publisher picks it up, they will do the legal legwork and copyright details. Also, they will use their own photographers. But it's a big if to get it out there-- then again, all of publishing is tough and if his heart is completely committed, there's always a chance.

The good news is that in non-fiction, he can sell on proposal without having to write the whole book, so the effort isn't as immense as writing the whole book first. Jeff Herman's Guide to Agents, Editors, and Publishers is a good place for him to start. It's a great guide with a section on putting together effective book proposals in the back and lists of reputable people who may be willing to publish or help him publish the book. From personal experience, I would recommend he start with any other travel destination to establish himself first. It would be especially prudent to establish himself with some freelance article and magazine work before jumping in to books. Feel free to contact me with any more questions. Best wishes!

Cinderelley
11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the great info you two! Intercotees are the best!:number1: