PDA

View Full Version : Matter Horn vs. Expedition Everest

jclightchasr
11-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Could someone who has been on both rides compare and contrast them.

Tygger7
11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, let me start by saying there is absolutely NO comparison...the only similiarities are 1) there's a mountain, 2) there's a yeti, and 3) they're both steel roller coasters.

Here's the scoop on each:

Matterhorn - First steel coaster. The ride is about the same size at Space Mountain (WDW version) and you sit in "bobsled" cars. When I last rode it, they had the old seats like the old Space Mountain seats where you sit in front/back of each other, not side by side. It's fun, but again, it's a small coaster. And the yeti isn't very big.

Expedition Everest - All I can say is WOW! Now keep in mind, I don't care for roller coasters...at all. :ack: However, I LOVED EE. I don't want to spoil it for you by providing too many details, (but if you want me to, let me know), but it's a nice sized coaster. The drop is roughly 80', steel track, it's fast, unpredictable, lots of curves, and the theming is out of this world. The yeti...again, WOW. You've got to see him in person, as no picture or video I've seen has ever done him justice. It's probably one of the funnest rides I've ever been on and I'm so looking forward to riding it next May. :coaster:

Even if you don't particularly like coasters, I'd HIGHLY recommend giving EE a try at least once. And, if you REALLY want to see what it's like, there are some great videos on You Tube that feature the ride.

Hope that helps!

WelshieLover
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Like Tygger7 says there is no comparison! I have been on both. I will go on the Matterhorn when I am DL because I am there and its a classic but, I don't care for it that much. I feel it jerks you around too much and it gives me a sore neck. As far as themeing goes EE hands down, just the queue area is fantastic. My husband hates coasters but he will try anything once. He got off EE with the biggest smile. He almost bought an EE tee shirt that read "I screamed like a girl on EE". Then he got his senses back and realized the only place he would wear it was in WDW. :blush:

Maleficent's Dad
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, let me start by saying there is absolutely NO comparison...the only similiarities are 1) there's a mountain, 2) there's a yeti, and 3) they're both steel roller coasters.
:exactly: :yes:

Matterhorn has (essentially) no hills or drops. It's jerky. Matterhorn has some quaint effects. There's a bit of a splash at the end on Matterhorn.

EE is a thrill ride in the modern sense. It has hills, surprises, drops, curves and more, and all while travelling at much higher speeds on a much smoother track.

You can't even begin to compare the Yetis found in each...

thrillme
11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Mattahorn is a sled. Sorta like a "dry" log ride.

Mattahorn is very old and EE is the latest and greatest. Themeing in EE is WAAAAYYYYY better.

Cinderelley
11-03-2007, 12:26 AM
EE is like the Matterhorn on steroids.

EPCOT84
11-03-2007, 01:44 AM
EE is like the Matterhorn on steroids.

Matterhorn's bigger, badder little brother.

Matterhorn is a herky jerky classic, but I love it, and EE is light years beyond it.

LandFan
11-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Yup - what all of the above posters said:thumbsup:

JPL
11-04-2007, 11:44 AM
It's very difficult to compare technology from the 1950's to technology of today.

When the Matterhorn opened it was a state of the art coaster the same as Everest. The Matterhorn will always hold the distinction of being the the first coaster with tubular steel tracks and it paved the way for all modern roller coasters. So with that fact alone it has great historical significance that Everest will never have.

LibertyTreeGal
11-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Strangely enough, they both have one other similarity -- excessive long lines. It is unreal to see the wait for Matterhorn, which is consistently long from park open to park close...