PDA

View Full Version : Comparing DL's Space Mountain to WDW's

jclightchasr
11-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Can anyone tell me differences in the two rides I keep reading the Disney Lands is so much better, Why?

Maleficent's Dad
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Hard to even compare the two... But I'll try to highlight the differences.

DL has one track as opposed to WDW's two.
DL is much smoother. It's not jerky at all like WDW's version.
DL's is set to music; the music is in sync with the ride. Really cool when you reach the top and begin the descent. The music really sets the mood for the entire ride.
In DL, you sit side-by-side as opposed to WDW's front/back configuration.

The queue is much different as well as the ride. DL essentially has a 21st Century version of SM. WDW's version is still from the 70's.

Now I like WDW's SM just fine, but it pales in comparison to its California counterpart.

BklynChick
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Having just rode the DL version, I have to say there is a definite difference, and DL is better.
It is faster, darker (I was able to see the track at times in WDW), more intense, and the music really adds to the ride.

Haunt1000
11-03-2007, 02:50 AM
Its the original, what else do you need?

FlaTinkRAMESAM
11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
DL=hotness. loved it!

WDWfanatic742
11-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Magic Kingdom's version of Space Mountain opened January 15th, 1975. Disneyland's version of Space Mountain opened May 27th, 1977.

Space Mountain originally was going to be built in Disneyland as a four track ride. The fact that computers back then were so behind the times, the lack of space that Tomorrowland and nearby Anaheim made and the fact that WDW was being planned, WED put the plans on the back burner. With Magic Kingdom being without a thrill ride when it opened they wanted to add a thrill ride to the park, and fast. That's why Space Mountain was built first at WDW, then added to Disneyland.

With the space confines, the diameter of the building would have to be shrunk from 300 feet at WDW, to 200 feet. That's why Disneyland has one track, and why you sit side-by-side so as to up the hourly capacity of the ride.

teamblackwell
11-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Hi all,
WDW version has more negative G track sections(dips). Dl version has more of positive G sections(spins). I prefer WDW version better. Omega track rules!

Disney4
11-04-2007, 11:15 AM
And it was themed "Ghost Galaxy" Pretty wierd. They had images of ghosts hidden in space nebulae.

I would rank that one better than the MK version as well.

LoriMistress
11-04-2007, 02:48 PM
DLR version of SM is so much better then the MK version. The tracks, speed, and the ride itself is a thousand times better then MK version. And even with the refurbishment coming soon, Disney has already released that the MK version will NOT have the great updates (like new track, etc.) like the DLR version. From what Disney released the attraction will NOT be closed for over a year...it will most likely be open by end of summer/beginning of fall of 2008. From what Disney released, they will add some more stars, take down some of the theming, and make the ride darker.