PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Hat and Ears icon at Disney Studios

EPCOT84
10-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Can anyone tell me the story behind that humongous Sorcerer Mickey hat and ears at the Disney Studios that now hides the fake Grauman's Chinese Theater? Legal problem?:smickey:

When I visited before, the Great Movie Ride used to look nice at the end of the park's "main street" but now the poor building is blocked by that hat ! I noticed the hat and ears is now the icon for that park instead of the water tower.

Reason?

JasonH
11-01-2007, 12:10 AM
From what I understand they had built the hat for part of the 100 years of magic celebration and WDW thought that then Disney-MGM Studios needed an icon just like the other parks(Spaceship Earth-Epcot, Tree of Life-AK, Cinderella's Castle-MK). So they built the giant hat and made it pin central for the Studios. Don't know if there is any thing else to add to the story, so anyone else, please feel free to fill in any spots. :D

Marker
11-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Some people like it, some people don't. Either way everyone seems to have an opinion that they tend to "vigorously" support and turn the issue into a much bigger deal than it probably needs to be. I guess people just love to create drama.

Personally, I like it. I think it makes a much better icon than a water tower. But that's just my opinion.

Whether it's there, or whether it's not doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the park, it doesn't ruin anything, or make me want to never go back.

Not sure what "legal problems" were being implied, but my take on the addition of the had was simply to create a better identifiable icon. No more, no less.

Ian
11-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, it was allegedly added as a new park icon during the celebration of Walt's 100th birthday, back in '01.

But since they put a pin store underneath of it, I somewhat doubt the sincerity of the gesture.

Anyway, I agree with you ... I don't like it.

There were some rumors that it was added for "legal reasons" due to their wrangling with MGM over licensing, but I don't think that had any truth to it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Can anyone tell me the story behind that humongous Sorcerer Mickey hat and ears at the Disney Studios that now hides the fake Grauman's Chinese Theater? Legal problem?:smickey:

When I visited before, the Great Movie Ride used to look nice at the end of the park's "main street" but now the poor building is blocked by that hat ! I noticed the hat and ears is now the icon for that park instead of the water tower.

Reason?
:smickey: Maybe its just me but I kind of like the hat. Of course, my first trip was Jan. 2003 and I never saw the park without it.

Figgyluv03
11-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes, it's a huge eye sore, but it was built and opened the year I started working there, and I got to see it first hand before the general public, so the stupid thing is actually kind of sentimental for me. I know I'm a softy.

Shanaynay
11-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I think that he hat gives kind of a cluttered look to the area, however, it's a great place to hide when it's raining :thumbsup::umbrella:

JPL
11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
There were some rumors that it was added for "legal reasons" due to their wrangling with MGM over licensing, but I don't think that had any truth to it.

Actually the Chinese Theater was sold and Disney lost the rights to sell merchandise featuring it as the parks icon. It wasn't a simple let's tear it down and build something new solution so the Sorceror hat was constructed to hide the building for 3 reasons. The first being to hide the theater in case decide to replace the facade with something and to become the new Icon of the park. It also serves to hide it so if they do any shows from the park they won't have to pay additional licensinjg fees.
The original icon of the park was suppose to be the Earful Tower but that never caught on due to it's location.

EPCOT84
11-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Actually the Chinese Theater was sold and Disney lost the rights to sell merchandise featuring it as the parks icon. It wasn't a simple let's tear it down and build something new solution so the Sorceror hat was constructed to hide the building for 3 reasons. The first being to hide the theater in case decide to replace the facade with something and to become the new Icon of the park. It also serves to hide it so if they do any shows from the park they won't have to pay additional licensinjg fees.
The original icon of the park was suppose to be the Earful Tower but that never caught on due to it's location.

:thanks: JPL for confirming what I suspected - that Disney was prevented from using the image of the Chinese Theater in any electronic or print media due to some expiring rights and built the hat to cover it. As for the water tower, thank you also for that background. I forgot it was called the Earful Tower. Too bad but yes, too remote a location.

LoriMistress
11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Personally, I don't care if the Sorcerer Hat stays or goes, but my DH hates the Sorcerer Hat. He thinks it's tacky and takes away the pretty view of TGMR.

jkj1224
11-03-2007, 08:48 PM
someone else might remember more, but when they originally built the hat as part of the 100 years of magic it wasn't a pin store it had interactive kiosks that you could play trivia games on and things...anyone else remember those?

gerald72
11-03-2007, 08:53 PM
So during Disney's Hollywood Studios' 25th Anniversary in 2014, are we going to be seeing the removal of the Sorcerer Hat and the way the Studios was always meant to be seen?

Tink#64
11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I love the Hat!:smickey:

Our 1st trip was in 2002, so we've never seen the Studios minus the hat. The only pic I purchased from Photopass last year was of our family in front of the hat!

I agree with previous posts, I think everyone has an opinion, just some seem to have stronger feelings than others.

I would miss the hat if it was removed, but I wouldn't cry about it. :mickey:
P.S. I will miss the wand, but I'm sure I will still think SE is beautiful!:magic:

LibertyTreeGal
11-04-2007, 10:49 AM
I would love it -- if it were somewhere else. It's just out of place and awkward.... can they put it up on top of the earful tower? ;)

Actually, we shouldn't give them any ideas or it may get put on top of SSE!

Polynesian Dweller
11-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for confirming what I had heard was the case. Graumann's was sold to Mann Theatres of Encino and if you check their site under partners, about the only major movie studio not shown there is Disney. Dreamworks, Sony, Universal, and Warner Brothers are shown as partners. Not too favorable to Disney. I presume that at some point they'll have to figure out a solution and the Hollywood Studios rehabs might include that at some point.

LudwigVonDrake
11-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't mind the Hat at all but then I didn't mind the Wand over at Epcot either :shrug:

Lacy
11-04-2007, 01:41 PM
someone else might remember more, but when they originally built the hat as part of the 100 years of magic it wasn't a pin store it had interactive kiosks that you could play trivia games on and things...anyone else remember those?

As others have said, the hat was built as part of the 100 Years of Magic celebration. You are partially correct there were kiosks with trivia questions but it was still a pin station. I believe there were trivia kiosks in all of the parks as part of the celebration. I was on the college program while it was being built and the joke of the cast members was that it was a million dollar pin stand. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the hat!

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
The hat is definitely one of those "you either love it or hate it" things.:smickey:
I think it is excellent as a symbol of Disney's animation roots. Much more fitting than the theatre that wasn't "Disney" in the first place.

But on the other hand, my wife and daughter hate it and would be more than happy to help tear it down.:thedolls:

Figgyluv03
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM

You're absolutely right. I got to preview at a Cast Night they had the day before it opened to the general public.

acetate
11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I like the hat, but that location seems to go against everything I've read in those "imagineering" books. To plop it down in front of the "weenie" and block it's view? The "weenie" of course being the theatre that would draw your attention down the street. Plus the hat now mars a great hidden mickey. (not that anyone could see it) From an aieral view the layout of the paving in front of the theatre was one giant mickey head with echo lake being one of his ears ! I always thought that was cool.

Sinewiz
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I think it's fine as the park icon but I agree with most everybody else in that it's location makes it feel like at afterthought (which it was).

LONESTAR
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Never liked it never will. The park lost that classic Hollywood feel. Just looks out of place :dizzy:

Gator
11-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Some people like it, some people don't. Either way everyone seems to have an opinion that they tend to "vigorously" support and turn the issue into a much bigger deal than it probably needs to be. I guess people just love to create drama..

That's funny, because the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was "I gotta go in there and defend The Great Hat from all the same villains who helped tear down the wand." Anyway, I love the hat and its location. But I think it's been sufficiently explained why it's there.:smickey:

Stu29573
11-11-2007, 04:53 PM
I hate it and always wil. It detracts from the original feel of the park and its in a completely inappropriate location. (of course it further destroys the hidden Mickey too) If you have never seen the park in person without it, you probably can't appreciate much of a negative inpact it has. As far as legal issues, I would have rather that they tear down the Chinese Theater facad than slap a bandaid over it- and I really like that building. They could have rebuilt it as something art deco-ish and tasteful, and (most of all) in character with the street. Oh well......