PDA

View Full Version : Mamogram

tinktude
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
OK,
So I have to go and get a mamogram tomorrow, and I am a little nervous. Oh I don't know...[it just] doesn't seem pleasant. Does anyone have any advice?

I have been told to take some pain reliever before I go, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

mrsgaribaldi
10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't think you're supposed to wear deodorant. Someone will be along to tell you. Good luck, don't be nervous:pixie::pixie:

LibertyTreeGal
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Pixie dust coming your way!!!! You'll be just fine! Not sure about deodorant either....

ElenitaB
10-30-2007, 08:44 PM
It is preferable to wear two-piece clothing, such as pants and a top, to simplify undressing for the mammogram. (You will be asked to remove all clothing above the waist including jewelry and metal objects from around the neck. You will be given a lovely hospital gown.)

In the hours before the test, avoid applying cosmetics, oils, creams, and especially talc or deodorant. These substances can cause artifacts on your mammogram making the images harder to interpret (aluminum flecks in some powders and deodorants can mimic microcalcifications on the x-ray image).

It's not the most pleasant of experiences but it's certainly a lot less painful than the anguish of not finding something that could have been found early and treated easily. Breathe deep (well, except when they tell you to hold your breath) and it will be over in a few minutes.

Good luck! (Mine is scheduled for next week.)

NJMommy3
10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Don't worry - it really isn't that bad. I've been on both sides of the machine; as a patient and as the technologist. The amount of discomfort is related to the density of the breast. Really dense tissue is harder to image and so the compression can be a little uncomfortable. Less dense tissue is more easily positioned. I found the pulling sensation more annoying than anything else and it's all over really quickly.
No powder, oils, perfume or deodorant. If your hair is long, pull it up.
Good luck to you and "the girls"!:cheer:

MNNHFLTX
10-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Ditto on what everyone has said about no deodorant, lotion or powders (atlhough you can certainly bring your deodorant with you to put on afterwards). Personally, I have never found mammograms to be painful and have never had to take any Tylenol or anything.

Make sure and tell the tech that this is your first mammogram and that you would appreciate any information they could give you while going through the process. A helpful mammogram tech is worth their weight in gold!

murphy1
10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
My experience totally did not hurt! It was so easy!! I had to have one before 40 b/c of my prior history of cancer cells found in my thyroid, I thought I found a lump a few years ago but it was a mass of tissue. I am supposed to be getting another one soon now that I am 40. Honestly my thyroid ultrasounds I have to get every couple of years are more uncomfortable than a mammogram.

JanetMegan
10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Mine wasn't bad either, I'm 30 and had to have multiple sessions PLUS an ultrasound earlier this year but thankfully it was just very dense tissue. I really wasn't uncomfortable at all for mine.

ldn324
10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm 38 and just had my first because of a concern the dr. had. I was really, really dreading it because of all I had heard, including those cartoon jokes that get sent around. Honestly, it wasn't anywhere near what I thought it would be. It's not that bad at all. Now I'm not going to say I'd volunteer to do it daily but I definitely won't dread it when it's time for the next one.

True about the deodorant, perfume, etc. My clinic had individual dressing rooms where they kept toiletries for you to use afterwards - spray stuff of course. Plus they had moist towelettes and other things to clean up with. They made it a point to make it as comfortable a procedure as possible.

I had heard about taking OTC pain meds before but I didn't need them.

Don't worry, you'll do fine :thumbsup: I hope you get a clean bill of health!

IloveDisney71
10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
I had my first one a month or so ago. It was not bad at all. I only had to remove my bra and top. I was told not to wear deoderant, powder, or perfume.
I'd rather have a mamogram than have to go through my yearly OBGYN exam!
You'll be fine.:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Having dense tissue must really make a difference! When they say "hold your breath" I always ask if if I have any other choice!
I would definitely take a pain reliever before going.
I hope all went well. I think October was Breast Cancer awareness month. You should have a base line mamo done by the time you are 40, earlier if there is any history of breast cancer in your family.
That few minutes of discomfort is worth it to make sure you catch any abnormalities/issues as early as possible.

DisneyDog
11-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I had a baseline mammogram last winter. It wasn't bad at all. I was nervous too, but the technician was so nice, and it was over before I knew it. No pain at all.