PDA

View Full Version : Lost Voice

ShelbyAD
10-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey all. I lost my voice last week. I was wondering if you know of anything I can take/do to get it back?

I am going to WDW in 1 week:mickey: and would really like to have my voice back.

Yesterday it was there, but raspy (sp?) Now I can't even make a sound - just a whisper.

Thanks!!

caryrae
10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I am not sure if there is something you can take to help but you should be fine for your trip. My MIL had the same problem last week but her voice was better after a 4 or 5 days.

caryrae
10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Here is what webmd says you should do:

Home Treatment
Laryngitis symptoms usually go away on their own within 2 weeks. You can help speed your recovery with the following home treatment:1

Rest your voice. You do not have to stop speaking entirely, but use your voice as little as possible. Speak softly but do not whisper because whispering can actually irritate your larynx more than speaking softly. Avoid talking on the telephone or trying to speak loudly.
Try not to clear your throat. This can cause further injury and inflammation to your larynx. Taking a nonprescription cough suppressant medication may help if you have a dry cough that does not produce mucus.
Stop smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke. Cigarette smoke irritates the throat and larynx and makes existing inflammation worse.
Use a humidifier in your home. Humidity helps to thin the mucus in the nasal membranes that causes stuffiness or postnasal drip.
Drink plenty of fluids.
Relieve nasal stuffiness. The nose helps to humidify inhaled air, which keeps mucus at its proper consistency. A saline nasal wash may help.
Treat and prevent gastroesophageal reflux. To help prevent or lessen reflux that can irritate or damage your larynx, try not to eat shortly before going to bed, reduce the amount of coffee and alcohol you drink, and eat healthy foods. Taking nonprescription acid reducers can help when these prevention measures are not enough.

NJBelle
10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Rest your voice. Try not to whisper, shout, and try to talk as little as possible.

I don't really know anything to make it come back instantly, but being a singer, I do know a few tricks. Warm lemon juice and honey really sooths the throat (my voice teacher lives by this stuff!) and loosens up some of that feeling of tightness that comes from laryngitis. Cough drops are really good too. And drink lots of water. Steamy showers helps too.

I hope that helped!

meldan98
10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I lose my voice every time I get bronchitis, which is about once a year, but was at least 3-4 times a year when I was in college. I found that drinking warm tea with lemon and honey made my throat feel better. Not talking at all and using a humidifier at night seemed to help the most.

It almost always happens at the worst time for me. I got it once while vacationing in Hawaii and then I got in just before New Year's while I was in Vegas/Disneyland.

ShelbyAD
10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Thank You. I am drinking hot tea, taking Halls, Nasonex, doing my best not to talk. I did alot of talking over the weekend (had the girls & went to a cook-out). Now I'm back at work and not being able to talk is working GREAT here :thumbsup: (don't get along with my co-workers). I've tried sucking on homemade honey candy. Doesn't seem to work.

I don't smoke & I don't drink - so those are not a problem.

I went to the doctor's last week - was very sick :ill:. She gave me some Antibiotics - my last dose was last Saturday. I had the side effects listed on the package too. :sick:

I'm feeling better now, just can't talk. Thankfully I don't have a job that requires me to talk on the phone :thumbsup:.

The last time I lost my voice, I lost it for 5 weeks Hopefully it won't be that bad this time.

ElenitaB
10-31-2007, 08:51 PM
A home remedy that I've tried with myself and with my DH is ginger tea: boil a thumb-sized piece of peeled ginger root in around 4 cups of water for maybe 10 minutes. Let it cool until it's comfortable to drink, mix with honey and sip. It was quite effective. :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
I lost my voice for three months one time about 20 years ago - never did find out why.:confused:

DH, (an R.N.), said...."give it a rest":D

It finally came back, much to his dismay:(

PirateLover
11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
There is a special tea that one of my musical directors in high school swore by. For the life of me I can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure it was available at most major grocery stores or whole foods type stores. It was some sort of herbal/licorice tea. I personally thought it tasted nasty but it did help. When my boyfriend was in a band his lead singer lost his voice once, and this tea helped him. I think it's meant more for voice loss due to cold/sore throat though. I hear ginger tea also works...

ShelbyAD
11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm starting to think it has to do with my Sinus'. The Nasonex is helping with my coughing more than the cough medicines & Halls. Hmmmmm.

Also, as soon as I lay down, my coughing stops. Hmmmm - anyone know why? Wish I could just sleep for a whole day - maybe I would get better sooner. :blush:

TikiGoddess
11-01-2007, 07:16 PM
The tea that my voice teacher recommended is Throat Coat. I'm not sure what brand it is, but she swore by it.

I am in the same boat as you! My voice has been in and out today. Unfortunately, I had to work -- try being a music teacher who can't sing! Thankfully I had a video that I was going to show some of my classes anyway, but the rest of them I had to muddle through.

I always get this when I get a cold... my sinuses start draining and gunk up my vocal chords. Tea and warm foods seem to help.

Best of luck!
TikiG

disneydeb
11-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Warm lemonade helps as a temporary assist to the vocals. Good luck and have fun!