PDA

View Full Version : What used to be in Epcot?

pwdebbie
10-28-2007, 10:07 PM
To the left and right of the Leave a Legacy area, there are what looks like boarding areas for perhaps a sky ride or something. What was here?

Deb

Main Street Jim
10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Ummm....nothing. Not in that area, at least. As soon you walk into the park, Spaceship Earth is the very first attraction you come upon.

Exactly what areas are you referring to, that look like a "skyway" type ride? To the left is Stroller/Wheelchair Rental, and to the right is (well, used to be; not sure if they're still selling them) the Leave a Legacy photographers, and a little store off to the FAR right...

mcjaco
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
The area where the Legacy stones are, was an extra set of planters and gardens.

There wasn't anything other than that, that was different. There's a canopy that runs along the outside of the entrance plaza, is that what you're referring to?

pwdebbie
10-30-2007, 09:49 PM
The area I am referring to is on the left and right sides of the monuments. These areas have rails that would seem to funnel people in a line. If you look at the top of the underside of the overhang, it looks like there was a track there at one time, and at one end the track seems to circle around. This intrigued me every time we entered Epcot and I'm sure it must have been something at one time that is now abandoned.

Deb

Polynesian Dweller
10-30-2007, 11:00 PM
No ride there, even from the early days and I was there the opening year. I remember a number of guest service things being in these spots over the years, including monorail tickets. The first year of operation, the monorail and other transport was under Disney Transportation company and required a separate admission. You either had to have a separate ticket or it had to be included in your park ticket. I remember lines there then. That lasted only a short time though. There were some other services over the years but never an attraction/ride that I can remember.

EPCOT84
10-31-2007, 01:56 AM
As I recall, both sides were really just underutilized space, a place to sit and rest in the shade mostly. But I have a different take on it. That area may have been designed that way for possible future expansion, for example of the train station, or an attraction entrance, but has (not yet) been used that way.

Thank you Polynesian Dweller for recalling the short reign of the Disney Transportation Company (DTC) and how they used to check passes before boarding.