PDA

View Full Version : small contracts

justlisa
10-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I thought there was always a minimum number of points that had to be bought from Disney. And it it my understanding that contracts can't be broken up into pieces. If this is so, how are people getting 50 point contracts? Was there no minimum in the beginning? I know you can buy them resale, but how did they get such small contracts to begin with?

Maleficent's Dad
10-28-2007, 12:13 PM
If purchasing through Disney, you can "add-on" points at smaller increments. I believe Disney requires a minimum add on of 25 points.

These add-ons are then under separate contracts which could, if you choose, sell at a later date.

Horizon93
10-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Frank has it exactly right. Add on contracts, purchased through DVC become sub comtracts under the master contract. The smaller contracts that you see for sale are likely sub contracts that were add ons at one time. You can't break up your master contract as far as I know.

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-28-2007, 05:46 PM
You can't break up your master contract as far as I know.

That is absolutely correct as well.
If you went hog wild and bought a single 1000 pt contract, and then later decided to sell, you would have to sell it as a single block of points.

That would definitely make it tougher to sell than if you had purchased several contracts totaling 1000 points.

justlisa
10-31-2007, 08:55 PM
OK, that makes sense. I vaguely remember when I first looked into DVC, something about add-on contracts that you could buy through Disney. So you can get smaller amounts of points that way.
Now, is it better to try to make your add-on the same use year as your original contract? I would think it would be confusing to have different use years.

DVC Mike
10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Most of my resort ownership consists of multiple small contracts. For example, my ownership at VWL of 145 points consists of 40+25+25+30+25.

The smaller contracts not only sell faster than larger contracts, but they command a price premium.

Thus, if someday I decide I want to dial down my investment in VWL, it will be pretty easy to do.

If I just had a single 145-point contract, I would have to sell my entire VWL ownership.

Most of my other contracts are structured the same way.

And yes, all 13 contracts are in the same Use Year for ease of managebility.

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
If you add on thru Disney they will give you the same use year that you already have.
If you buy on the resale market, such as thru the Timeshare Store, your use year will be whatever it is on the contract you are buying.