PDA

View Full Version : Cruise 2009

peaceaj
10-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Right now im in nursing clinicals :nurse: but my family and I want to take a 7 day western cruise. I graduate in dec 08 so we will plan to go around feb 09. Any comments on what the norm for the weather is like around then? It will be myself, husband, and two children. As far as sickness :sick: Ive been reading about the bonine and patch for behind the ear for us. The kids will be 11 and 7. Is there anything anyone has tried for kids that works really well for them? Also about the kids program. We are a little iffey about leaving the kids but is it really secure? Also, I am wanting to do a massage or something. what do you recommend or what should I avoid all together? Thanks in advance for the advice.:listen:

ElenitaB
10-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!

Congrats on working on your goal! :nurse: are tops in my book! :thumbsup:

I'll try to address a few of your questions...

Any comments on what the norm for the weather is like around then?
Each year is different. That said, (God willing) we'll be sailing Presidents' Week in Feb 08 and my reports will be up the next week. Also, if you go to weather-dot-com, you can search out each port of call and you'll see on the search results page, an option called "Averages and Records." It shows the range of temps for each month. As I'm avoiding a work project right now :blush:, here's the breakdown for February:
▪ Key West — High 76 / Low 66
▪ Grand Cayman — High 81 /Low 73
▪ Cozumel — High 84 / Low 68
▪ Castaway Cay (using Nassau as the reference point) — High 78 / Low 62

As far as sickness Ive been reading about the bonine and patch for behind the ear for us.
Neither DS nor I have issues with seasickness, but we do have trip reports from an INTERCOT member who does:
JRay21 -
First part of his cruise experience (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=113590)
Second part (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=116952)

The kids will be 11 and 7. Is there anything anyone has tried for kids that works really well for them?
I got DS a card for the arcade. He was in :cloud9: Also, you can bring a photo mat or a pillowcase to Guest Services to have it signed by all the characters. It makes an excellent souvenir.

We are a little iffy about leaving the kids but is it really secure?
Absolutely. There are many procedures in place to ensure your kids' safety (they have wristbands and you will receive a beeper). Many kids have a grand time. I know that mine did.

Also, I am wanting to do a massage or something. what do you recommend or what should I avoid all together?
Don't do the tooth whitening... I did and was not happy with the results. Many couples do talk about the "Exotic Rasul." Check out the list of treatments available on the DCL site (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/onboard/activities/listing?name=VistaSpaTreatmentsPage).

Have fun planning!

GreenBeetle
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
I was a little nervous too about safety etc. in the Oceaneer's Lab on our cruise. After learning about the pager system and peeking at some of the activities my daughter participated in all my fears were gone. Everything is so safe and well organized your children will have a ball. They can page you at any time to come get them - but don't expect to hear from them . . . ever! We never would have seen my daughter (10) if I hadn't insisted on dinners together every night. :D

And as Ellen suggested, we dropped off a t-shirt and a photo mat at Guest Services the day we arrived. They were both signed by all the characters on board and dropped off in our stateroom our last night. My Mom stuffed the t-shirt and made it into a pillow for my daughter. They are really two of the best souvenirs we have from Disney - and believe me, we have quite a few! ;)

And Welcome to Intercot - glad to have you here! :rocks:

missdani
10-31-2007, 12:37 PM
We all took an oral antimetic, as the patch can cause dry mouth. That seemed to work well for us. They do sell a chewable version for children. The clubs are safe and if you feel uncomfortable you can always stay with them the first few times to see how it works. I imagine that you will find it hard to get the kids out of there! They can even eat with their group. We just got back from the same cruise and had a blast.